Mill Street Vanilla Porter | Mill Street Brew Pub

Style: English Porter

Added by Viggo on 12-12-2009

3.6

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Typical porter look with an absolutely perfect and long-lasting head. Weak lacing present, which tickles my fancy as I dislike strong lacing on darker brews for some irrational reason. This baby looks great in a glass. Aroma is somewhat pleasant. Vanilla and coffee tones are present, with an underlying yeast-like scent which slightly puts me off. Mouthfeel is much more watery than I expected for a beer of this colour and consistency. The taste is somewhat of a mixed bag for a palate as distinguished as mine. Lots of vanilla, coffee, and barley with slight wheat and chocolate notes. The can describes "an underlying tone of dried fruit" which I cannot taste. Unless yeast is a fruit, which it is not. Not much of an aftertaste besides a residual yeasty taste which disturbs me.

This brew looks excellent and tastes quite mediocre. Mill Street's Cobblestone Stout is a much more refined brew. I feel as though this brew would be excellent after a number of improvements. There are better porters for the money.

On a side note, I wish that this beer had some banana flavours. At first, I thought that the flower on the can was a banana, but on second glance I realized that I was wrong. I drank this porter wearing pyjamas, so I would have loved to have bananas in pyjamas. My dream was crushed upon drinking this brew. I did not take into account my fantasy in my review and rating of this brew.

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

If you're just getting into stouts/porters and want to experience some of the various flavours to try, I recommend the vanilla porter. Great introduction to the vanilla flavour you can get in this beer type.

2.49/5  rDev -30.8%

Looks great, nice head, decent lacing.
Smell, vanilla.
All downhill from there.
I love vanilla, but, this porter is so overpowering with vanilla it is almost non drinkable.
Waited to review this until I had it a second time. Won't be having it a third.

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

4.52/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A sweet desert beer, more subtle and balanced than other vanilla porters I've tried.

3.99/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: [4.50] Looks jet black but you can see through it with a strong back light. Forms a perfect 1 1/2 finger khaki head. The head does not have distinguishable bubbles it is just dense. The head does not receded at all when left alone. The Can lists the ABV at 5.0% and there is no dating info. However the can does list the ingredients (water, malted barley, flaked wheat, roasted barley, vanilla extract, hops). I don't see a lot of beers with a ingredient list.

S: [3.00] Strong, but synthetic vanilla smell. The smell is thick and syrupy.

T: [4.25] The taste is like Guinness with vanilla. Actually sweeter than Guinness with some nice vanilla tones in there.

M: [4.50] Very smooth. No carbonation feel at all. A slight dry finish. Overall nice body but not as creamy as I thought it might be based on the head.

O: [4.25] I have had Mill Streets Cobblestone Irish Stout. This tastes very similar but with a nice infusion of vanilla. This would go really well with desserts - and maybe even with ice cream right in it. The body is so smooth and the beer goes down really easily. Other than a synthetic smell on the nose this beer hits on all cylinders. I really like it as a approachable low abv beer.

4.21/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was expecting more carbonation, this beer seems to be a little flat for me. I am comparing it to of course one of my favorite drinks, vanilla coke, and so I was a little disappointed. I would not order another one of these, but it does the trick for the time being and I have had alot worst. It has a nice head to it, and pours smoothe. You can down it pretty easily but it doesn't really have a nice smell ( a little overwhelming.) In my opinion the BA score was a little high but I guess they have their reasons.

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Pours dark brown with lots of tan head that dissipates.

Nose has vanilla, coffee, malt.

Taste follows nose closely. However it feels and tastes light and more watery than I expected and had hoped.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I found the vanilla heavy handed and the sweetness over the top. Definitely not a beer I would revisit.

4.68/5  rDev +30%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A desert beer, omg this is good

4.5/5  rDev +25%

3.94/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.02/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%