Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Moonraker Scotch Ale | Lunar Brewing

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Visited Lunar with a friend who lives down that way and is a also a drinker of mostly big beers only. I usually don't go that heavy but man I am glad I tried this one. Would have had a few more but at 8% ABV I had to watch it a little.

Dark almost black in color, with very little head, but cold and smooth, sweet enough without knocking you down, yet with a little bite this was a pleasurable experience. I am always looking for a Scotch Ale, and I have tried a few but they are usually too sweet or the malt overcomes the taste. Not so with this one. I would compare it to Founder's Angry Bastard or Robert the Bruce.

Served in a 21 oz thistle on tap, it was one I recommended to a handful of people who walked in and they all agreed.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a ruby and amber hue. Very quick, one figure, beige head. The aroma is a light roasted and heaily toasted malt. Notes of caramel and soft fruits hit the nose. The taste is malty upfront, light, dry hop middle , and hinting at caramelized fruit finish. Very good session beer. You can get this served in a 21oz tulip glass.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

I need to start keeping a note pad with me when I visit these breweries. It had a medium to dark goldenish brown color. It was poured by Brad, (awesome beertender), and half a 1.5" head when consuming it laced up the side of the glass. I would definately get another.

Moonraker Scotch Ale from Lunar Brewing