Bar Harbor Real Ale | Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ

Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ
Maine, United States
atlanticbrewing.com

Style: English Brown Ale

A good, clean nut brown ale with a malty body. This is our most popular ale due to its smooth and malty flavor.

We use a mixture of pale, crystal and black malts in this one, and our primary hop is Target, though we also add some Whitbread Goldings Variation as well.

The Real Ale is best fresh, so fresh in fact, that it's great right out of the bright tank.

Added by UnionMade on 07-25-2001

3.51/5  rDev -0.6%

Brew courtesy of wickedpete via a nice trade - thanks again.

Mahogany brown brew, tan head, some minimal lacing.
English bitter taste, woody, bready and full of malt. Bit of caramel and a raspy hop finish. Tasty brew that drinks easily - medium bodied with 0 alcohol burn. I could see this one being a regular in the ol' DBF.

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

12-oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A = Nice clear dark brown, good clarity, almost no head at all, slight lacing on surface, fair carbonation with medium sized bubbles.

S = There is a sweet off-putting smell for me in this, almost like rootbeer. On a deeper breath, I get good smells of toasted malt, but they are not enough to get me past the soft drink smell of the first whiff.

T = Luckily there is no rootbeer taste. Soft tastes of sweet malt with a good balanced hops bitterness. Quite nice but not particularly complex.

M = Light to medium bodied, decent carbonation but maybe with a little too much sting on the tongue, mouthcoating is fair.

D = This is a pleasant enough beer and I would happily drink it again but I doubt I will go to great lengths to do so. Worth a try though.

3.34/5  rDev -5.4%

One of my buddies brought me this back from Maine. I would imagine that this beer is pretty common in the NE. Appearance is cola brown with a thin, but film head. Clarity is nice. Aroma is very typical of a brown. Nice use of chocolate malt to give a rich nutty and chocolate aroma. Taste is a bit metallic, but that seems to be the trend with many of the browns that i have had in the past. Nice and crisp all the way through. I think my bottle was a bit oxidized, so I tried to imagine it fresh on tap. Easy drinking with a nice layer of flavor. Kind of nice to see a common brown distributed on a larger scale.

4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours with a big crazy tan head that threatens to take over the world. Hints of lace leave a reminder of the previous heady carnage. Color of the body is a transparent medium-dark brown along the lines of a cola.
Thin bodied coffee with a splash of lowfat milk... maaaaybe a dash of sugar. Very, very dry for a brown ale and I'm diggin it.
The scents coming off of this guy from my weisse glass make me think of beer freshly poured from the tap. Aromas are bready for the most part with a hint of sweetness; maybe some spice. There was some dust on the bottles I picked up but I can't help but thinking "fresh" when I smell this stuff.
The taste, mouthfeel and finish make me think of dark bread with an edge of burnt sugar presence. Once upon a time I had molasses cookies; this makes me think of them without being so sweet.
I could imagine sitting at a bar with this as one of the happy hour specials. Very drinkable and very accessible. There's a little bit of bitterness that might not put off one who normally drinks macro brew. It could help one to start thinking about beer in a different way.
BA's should find this guy to be an enjoyable, sessionable brew.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Picked up this bottle in Michigan and drank it back home in Ireland.

Pours an almost cola color into the glass with an off-white 2 finger head that diminishes to a constant coating as the beer goes down.

Not too strong of aromas really-a bit malty, nutty, and nuttiness

The flavors didnt carry through as much as the smells. The beer is mostly dominated by a light maltiness, but not really overwhelming. Some roasted hints suggest something like a porter, but very little tastes other than that.

The beer is lightly carbonated it seems and goes down fairly light; not really exciting here.

I feel could drink more than one of these in a session, although I would probably be tempted to try something else first. I have another beer from this brewery so I'll try that next!

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a pretty dark but clear ruby. Nose is nutty and slightly caramel sweet. Flavor is sweet with artificial sweetener there as well as a slight touch of nut. But the sugary sweet dominates and keeps it to a limited type of experience. Liquid feel is good. A touch thick. And the bubble is standard. Overall a mediocre brew in the grand scheme of things. Not really worth the effort to try.

2.06/5  rDev -41.6%

Bar Harbor Real Ale pours a mahogany brown color with an enormous off white head. The aroma seems a bit musty. The flavor is a bit sweet then quite sour. There aren't any flavors that stand out in a good way, a bit malty I guess. No hops are noticeable. Not very good, and what's with the twist off cap on a bottle of real ale? Avoid.

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours an ice tea color with a rocky off-white head that sticks well and leaves some dots on the way down

Smell: Caramel, hazelnuts, and a hint of cocoa

Taste: Starts with a toasty, nutty flavor that becomes slightly watery by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavor profile continues to fade, but just as I had given up all hope, a hint of cocoa and hazelnut skins emerge at the finish; slightly metallic at the very end

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Just a few too many quibbles for this to be anything other than average

3.19/5  rDev -9.6%

Apperance: Insane head and retention. All the way down to the last drop.

Smell is of caramel malts. Pretty unetertaining.

Taste is of caramel and pale malts with a small hop bitterness. Kind of weak flavor profiles. Pretty uninteresting. As I get down the glass, the malt falls flat and the bitterness makes the beer a little dry. The malt bill in this beer is a little week.

Mouthfeel is somewhat watery, but there is a tiny bit of thickness from the malts.

Not a lot going on. A no frills beer. I could have a few of these and I could have them very fast.

4.21/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle in a Pint Glass

A: Nice transparent brown.

S: Nice hops and nutty

T: Real mild Brown ale, nice malts, wonderful butty flavor
great replacement for newcastle brown ale, if you can find it.

M: Excellent mouthfeel. Nice flavor stay. Great aftertaste

D: Very Drinkable. Could easily be one of my favorite regulars, if it was available in my area.

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

The beer that started Atlantic Brewing Company. While it's not my favorite beer from them, it is still a decent brown ale.

Real Ale pours dark that inevitably leads to a hint of chocolate/coffee (which is very subtle) and ends with a good malty finish.

Not the first brown ale I would reach for, but certainly not the last.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Came in a clean brown shade. A little dark but clean.

S: Smelt of nuts primary with a hint of chocolate.

T: The beer tasted of light nuts and a hint of chcolate.

M: The mouthfeel was great. The beer was smooth with a malty body.

D: the beer was very drinkable. the maltiness slowed it down a little bit but enoguh to enjoy the beer.

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Just over a finger of cream-colored head forms over a see-through burgundy/mahogany beer. Head formation dissipates moderately, and leaves a bit of lace clinging to the sides.

S: Roasted malt presence that gives off a hint of chocolate, and burnt coffee, but these are extremely subtle. Mostly resembles an English ale, more like a mild almost than a brown, in the nose.

T: Has the aforementioned hints of burnt coffee and chocolate well up front in the taste, that provides a nice set-up. After that, a tiny side of bittering hops whisks these flavors away, and makes for a calm finish with a malty residue left behind.

M: Bubbly and creamy mouthfeel, CO2 at an agreeable level that complements the flavors decently.

D: Relaxed flavors, which are pleasing, but overall not an amazing offering. Nothing in particular seemed to jump out at me to give this beer character, but it's not horrid by any means. Just so-so, I'd say.

1.62/5  rDev -54.1%

Appearance: Clear deep mahogany brown in color, with a large tan head, excellent lacing, and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Strongly vegetal aroma, with celery notes, toasted malts and bitter cocoa.

Taste: Harshly strong and bitter burnt malt notes, like charred malts, with a lingering chemical bitterness and strong astringency at the close of the taste.

Mouth feel: Smooth and fairly soft, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: This is obviously an example from a bad batch of this beer. The characteristics noted above are quite unlike and old or stale beer, obviously something went amiss in the production process in the batch that this example came from. The example reviewed here was purchased in Austin, Texas. When I complained to the store where this beer was purchased, they told me that they had received several negative reports concerning this beer. I hope to be able to re-review this beer at a later date.

3.86/5  rDev +9.3%

On-tap at The Great Lost Bear in Portland, Maine.

I'm not usually a brown ale guy, but this was excellent. It pours a deep, rich amber. I can imagine if I saw someone across the bar with this one, I'd want in on the action just from looking at it. A very thick, creamy body, with all kinds of malts rolling around on your tongue, as a brown ale should behave. But as you finish, the essence of damp autumn leaves seems to waft into your nose and then a surprising green hoppy bite arises on your tongue as it drains down your hatch.

This beer seemed to capture the essence of being in Acadia National Park in October and definitely embodies its title- Bar Harbor.

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

The final of the 4 regular offerings from Atlantic Brewing Company that I picked up on my trip to Maine. This was probably my favorite beer that I had on draught there, but now I get to sit down with a bottle.

APPEARANCE: Pours a reddish deep brown into a shaker pint. The beer is very clear despite the dark color, and the head is off-white and one finger high. It drops slowly to an almost full surface coating and is constantly being replenished. Picture perfect!

SMELL: The aromas are perfectly restrained yet strong enough to appreciate. Nutty, toasty, and a bit of burnt malty chocolate dominate the nose. Hop aroma is very minimal but seems slightly spicy.

TASTE: With such a nice aromatic smell, I expect the same in the flavor but don't get it. Simple light malty flavor with a hint of roasted grains are most of the flavor. Astringent black malt is apparent in the finish. Hop flavor and bitterness actually comes out a bit as the beer crosses the palate, though without any specific flavor profile.

MOUTHFEEL: The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is low creating a watery feel. This is an English-style ale however, so this would be somewhat expected and appropriate.

DRINKABILITY: Definitely my favorite from Atlantic Brewing and such an easy drinker. And true to English style, it's definitely sessionable.

It's not often you see an American-brewed English brown ale, but this one is pulled off quite well. I only picked up 2 bottles from the brewery, but I'm conveniently able to get it at home, which I can definitely see myself doing.

3.11/5  rDev -11.9%

Very nice ruby/caramel color. Ok aroma-somewhat malty-really just smell like a beer. Ok malty flavor with a minimum amount of hop bitterness. Body has more umph then the flavor for sure. Rather 1 dimensional and drab. Foamed a lot at pouring might be off or infected.

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

Purchased at the brewery in Bar Harbor, ME.

A: Brown with significant amber highlights. Thin off whtie head with good retention. Brilliant clarity.

S: Initially nutty and toasty. Some fruity character. A reasonable dose of diacetyl which adds to the aroma rather than detracts from the other characteristics. Some subtle chocolate. A touch of hop aroma.

T: Taste is similar to aroma. Malt is nutty and toasty with some caramel notes. Hop bitterness finishes. A dry finish with not too much aftertaste. some fruity flavors with a good dose of diacetyl.

MF: Medium body. Silky smooth, moderate carbonation. All of this combines for an excellent mouthfeel.

D/notes: Very drinkable. A solid well made brown ale - good taste, well balanced.

3.36/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Dark burgundy that I can barely see light through. Handsome, if I do say so myself. A nice 1/4 head that fades but does stick around.

Smell: Weak, but has a hint of a floral and nut.

Taste: roasted malts, light nut flavor. Nothing over powering, but a good, smooth, well balanced brew.

Mouthfeel: Weak carbonation but smooth. Overall just an average mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I would willingly have another as the beer isn't too filling and goes down easy.

Comments: Sample was possibly a little old, so I would like to try this beer again some day. Finding it on tap would also be something that would tickle my fancy.

3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

This is a nice brown ale.

A: Poured a dark, brown body with a small head with almost no retention, unfortunately. Reduced to a nice lacing that held throughout the beer.

S: A very nice, sweet malty smell.

T: A very nice and smooth, slightly earthy taste. Malts that was used, and pretty evident and the beer, seemed like they were slightly malted.

M: I felt that the mouthfeel for this beer was a little thin. I was hoping for something slightly thicker.

D: Definitely a very drinkable beer. A pretty smooth beer with nice malty tastes that are easy going and great drinking.

2.71/5  rDev -23.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark mahogany brown color with a creamy off white head. The aroma is fruity with some caramel. The taste is smooth with some toasted malt that seems overly watered down. The mouthfeel suffers the same fate as the taste which seems too watered down for my liking. Overall, this is not a terrible offering but is not something that I would purchase again.

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- nice amber color, nice thick off white head.

Smell- Caramel, malt and hint of hops

Taste- A bit dry. Taste of malt, a bit of caramel, a hint of coffee.

Mouthfeel- Medium body

Drinkability- This beer wasn't a bad beer. Their were notches for a best before date but nothing was notched. I was given this beer as a sample from a distribuor to decide whether we'll bring it in for work. Not so sure.

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Dark clear brown color. Good, staying head. Smells very malty with a nutty character to it. Taste is roasted malts and nutty, Maybe even a bit of a chocolate flavor to it. No hop flavor to be found. Not quite as sweet as other brown ales that I have had and I think it is better for it. Not a bad beer but one is enough for me.

3.53/5  rDev 0%

Pours out a woody brown with great clarity and a khaki, creamy head that starts off rather thick, but once settled to a half of an inch, maintains its size well. Leaves lots of raised sheets of lace. In the nose: lots of caramel, nutty malts, English hops, and a touch of diacetyl. The flavor is chocolate, caramel, toffee, walnut syrup, hints of roasted grain, with a mild and pleasant tea hop in the finish. Finishes really dry. Mouthfeel is kind of thin and so-so all-around. I'm on the fence with this one. I probably won't buy it again.

1.52/5  rDev -56.9%

Bottle Inspection: Label has a place for notch marks, but they only go as far as 05, and nothing is notched. As this brewer is new to Texas, I am left to wonder if we got old product, or the brewer just doesn’t care to date their bottles. As I think this bottle went bad, and the brewer didn’t bother to give me a date to figure out what’s up, the brewer takes the hit.

Aroma: Something’s wrong. A strong DMS note, very vegetal like celery.

Appearance: Wonderful dark amber smoky body with an off white crown that looks as patient as the tide.

Flavor: Over burnt grains and a very strong vegetal note. I have to believe this was infected or just silly old.

Mouthfeel: Bitingly dry

Overall Impression: No date = brewers fault. I think a distributor dumped old stock on us.

Thanks to Pegasus for the karma point.

Bar Harbor Real Ale from Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ