Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale | Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ

Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ
Maine, United States
atlanticbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A light fruit ale, made with Maine wild blueberries. As opposed to many of the sweeter fruit beers on the market, our addition of fresh Maine wild blueberries in this light ale yields a subtle blueberry aroma, without the sweet aftertaste. A mixture of the following Mutton malts, pale, crystal, and Munich, are combined with wheat to give this ale its lighter body, and we only use minimal amounts of Target and Willamette hops.

Added by Jason on 12-13-2001

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

A - Poured a little darker than expected with about a finger of foamy head.

S - Nothing too special for me, some hops but nothing really stood out for me. My wife agreed.

T - It's decent with just a hint of blueberry. My wife tasted it more than I, but I felt it was just a little above average for an ale. I was expected a little more fruity flavor.

M - Average balance between malt and hops, carbonation as expected. Again, nothing really stood out for me.

D - Easy enough to drink, and the subtle blueberry taste was nice. I could drink a few of these without any problem. It's certainly not a beer I would turn down, but overall I felt it was on-par with some of my other "staple" beers.

4.58/5  rDev +31.6%

First fruit beer I think I have ever actually taken a liking too. But it is very reminiscent of Leinenkugals Sunset Wheat.

A: Excellent looking beer. Pour a clear copper with a tannish white head that was highly carbonated. The foam dissipated quickly.

S: Very strong blueberry aromas with an almost wheat scent. Im getting smells of toast in the morning with blueberry jam.

T: Superb taste, the blueberries really pack in at the end with a nice lemony flavor that hits first. However this does taste exactly like Lienenkuglas Sunset Wheat.

M: Smooth and extremely easy to drink. I feel like I'm actually cheating at the act of drinking beer.

D: I could definitely pound these down on any occasion. Excellent quality beer.

2.73/5  rDev -21.6%

The taste of this beer reminded me a lot of a sam adams. It was a reddish color almost like apple juice. It had about 1/8 inch head that was quick to fade. The lacing was average. The carbonation was suited for this type of beer. I picked up blueberry notes in the background of the smell and taste, but if i wasnt looking for them I dont think I would have noticed. The drinkabilty was average for this beer. Was happy to try it but dont think I would purchase it.

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Smell- Nice and hoppy. I couldn't pick up a blueberry smell at all.

Appearance- Nice amber color, medium carbonation, Thin head

Taste-I picked up hops but no blueberry. Also picked up malt taste.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, medium body

Drinkability- It was a good beer. I was disappointed that I couldn't pick up the blueberry taste. Apparently everyone else did. I guess I'll have to go back and try it again.

3.47/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear, coppery amber color. Bubbly, off-white head is sparse given the active carbonation, dissipating almost immediately. The grains in the nose are inoffensive but nondescript. The blueberry, on the other hand, smells pleasantly natural and complex--not the suspect, artificial stuff of some fruit beers. That carries over less to the taste, where the blueberry flavor is weak, while the grains--though still nondescript--stand out relatively. Somewhat malty up front, relatively sweet and light in the middle, and hopped to a decent degree in the finish. Mouthfeel ranges from a little watery in the middle to crisp at the end. Goes down well enough but stands out neither as a fruit beer or as an ale.

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

This beer had a orangey cloudy color. The smell was blueberry, as stated on the label. Not a rush of blueberries to your nose, but more restrained. Which I prefer. In the back was some grassy aroma. The taste was a slight blueberry, all warpped up in a nice bitterness and beer taste. Not overly sweet - like they sometimes are. Quite nice overall, but it could use a bit more blueberry taste here and there.

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

I am typing this review while enjoying this surprisingly good beer. While not one to usually enjoy fruit themed beers, this one was pretty good. It was poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
A: Poured an amber brown color. Only about a one finger head at the conclusion of the poor, no seditment, lots of bubbles, indicating some carbonation.
S: Fresh blueberries were present from the start. I could barely smell the alcohol trying to sneak through. A little malt was detected as well.
T: The taste continued right along with the blueberry theme. While not over-powering and making the beer "fu-fu", the blueberries and alcohol mixed quite well. The blueberries were noticable enough to prevent a lot of alcohol taste from coming through. A hint of malt, no noticable hops.
M: Nothing special here, light and easy on the palate.
D: I could see this being a session beer. While not very high on the alcohol content and too themed in its taste, one could get used to having a couple or three these while bellying up to the bar or sitting on the patio. Very crisp and easy going down.

3.64/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a cloudy amber in color with some sediment (possibly blueberry bits?) and a large, thick off-white head.

The blueberry aroma is very, very faint. I doubt I could have detected it if I had not been looking for it. Other than that, it does not have any other aroma. I'm disappointed.

The taste is much better than the smell. It is light and crisp with plenty of blueberry flavors. But the berries have been applied with a judicious hand: This is not a sweet or syrupy beer. The berry flavors are just right.

The body is light, which fits with the taste.

Overall this is a decent beer and its many positive qualities outweigh its poor smell.

3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle Inspection: Best before July 07 notched (sampled June 07). No other useful information, brown twisty.

Aroma: Blueberries! First sniff was all fresh picked blueberries, very well done! After the head calmed down, some sweet malt and light floral notes came through.

Appearance: Amber glass, with maybe a suggestion induced purple bruising, has excellent clarity and holds a thin head that manages some respectable lacing before dropping to a scant collar.

Flavor: The blueberry note is pretty well balanced, not being overwhelming but up front and predominate. There is a light sweetness to the beer which complements the fruit. No hops noted. Malt base is a bit toasted. Mild bread flavor working as well; Total package makes me think blueberry bagel.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation, light medium body, slightly slick and lasting finish.

Overall Impression: As fruit beers go, this is pretty darn good. Fruit is featured without getting artificial or overdone. Base beer under it has no flaws. The carbonation is a little to high for my tastes and the head didn’t really hold up well. Overall, I’d have to recommend it, I can see getting some more of this.

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a hazed copper with really no bubble life in the body. Head is thin and leaves speckled lacing spots on part of the glass. With the mix of the ton of blueberries and the malty, bready base, this smells about like liquid blueberry muffins. I think I even pick up a touch of spice as well (some ginger and cinnamon). Taste, again, is very much blueberry muffins in beer form, although the overall toasty malt comes out more than in the smell. Hops give this an herbal, almost minty, quality in the finish that is pleasant and refreshing. Mouthfeel is rather lively and the body is moderately weighted on the tongue. Good drinkability, and even though I think this beer is delicious, I couldn't see this as a session. It's odd. This beer has everything I don't like about fruit beers (sweet and with the fruit taking center stage), typically, but I love blueberry muffins, so, therefore, I love this beer.

2.79/5  rDev -19.8%

Bought this brew because it was the last of the beers that Stop N' Go, in Cincinnati, carry that I've not tried before.

Eye: Looks great, Nice rich color-deep copper amber. Also has a nice white fluffy head with good retention and lacing.

Nose: No hop or malt characteristics evident in this beer. All aroma comes from the blueberry fruit, definitely some tannin aroma in there.

Tongue: Not much of anything really, definitely hinting at a blueberry flavor, though it isn't the sweet flavor of fruit that one usually finds in fruit beer. Instead a lot of tannins come from the blueberries. No malt character, no hop character-perhaps maybe some bitterness in the front of this brew to finish it out, unless that is from tannins. Not really impressed.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Light and fizzy in the mouth, finishes dry. Drinks easy, but I'd not buy this again. Its just not all that good.

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours out a nice clear copper amber with a small white head that drops to a thin layer.

Smell. Blueberries come out nicely with lots of sweetness. I seem to get an aroma that is like a belgian yeast characteristic. quite interesting.

Taste. Blueberries are as potent as in the aroma, but makes it through strongly in the swallow. I still get some belgian flavors in this, with spices.

Mouthfeel. Body is average, nothing too distinct about it. Carboantion is at a decent level as well.

Overall, it is one of the harder beers to review. It reminds me of other types of beers, yet i cant place any of them. I'm still up in the air whether i like it or not. I suppose it is one that i would enjoy as a single bottle, as i would not want this all night (or even 2 in a row).

3.84/5  rDev +10.3%

Smells like blueberry muffins! Light tart hop and lighter sweet malt.

Amber/light-gold. Clear. Weak head.

Quite bitter and slightly metallic. Fruity tartness. Light sweet malty base with sweet blueberry flavor. American Pale Ale / Amber Ale with flavor.

Medium body, smooth, medium-low carbonation.

Pretty tasty and easy to drink. Refreshing blueberry beer. I could go for a little stronger hop or less sweetness. Still, one of the better fruit beers I’ve had. I would definitely enjoy another.

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Pours a dark amber color and has respectable white head

S - In the nose blueberry and other citrus notes

T - Has some nice blueberry flavor, but there is another flavor in the background that I can't put my finger on, but it does not compliment the blueberry flavor.

M - Nice Carbonation, Very light in body

D - Good session beer, taste is not quite what I expected

3.64/5  rDev +4.6%

Wow, a blueberry ale available here? I had to try it. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours a dark amber, forming a 1/4 inch thin head. Light spots of lace on the glass. The aroma is nothing but blueberry aroma, but not overpowering. The taste is lighter than expected. Very similar to an amber ale, but with light blueberry flavoring added. Nothing too exciting, but a good break from the ordinary. Medium mouthfeel. Overall, not a bad beer by any means. Not too sweet, so as to kill the palate. I could definitely see adding this to the rotation, or offering this to my non-beer drinking friends. I suppose I would have giver this beer a higher review, but I feel that I was spoiled by experiencing a Seadog Blue Paw a few months ago, and that kind of set the standard for blueberry ales IMO. This brew just doesnt have a strong enough blueberry flavor. However, this is a very welcomed new addition to brews available in Texas. Highly recommended!!

2.7/5  rDev -22.4%

I'm not sold on this beer. It pours a copper color with a decent but quickly dissipating head. The lacing is good. The smell is malty, sweet, syrup, fruity (not solely blueberries) and a little tinny. The taste is overly sweet malt with subtle and subdued blueberry flavor. Ehh. That's all I can say about this one. This is a light to medium bodied beer, the mouthfeel is noticeable and not bad, the after taste is slightly tangy and hoppy. There isn't enough blueberry to do this justice, and not enough taste beyond the syrupy stuff at the onset to warrant too much interest beyond that. As the beer warms, there is more blueberry coming through. Try it but know that it isn't a great beer.

3.32/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. I only wish I had been able to rate this beer when I had it on draught a while back in Bar Harbor. In any respect, the bottle seems to mirror the draught as it has a slight, thin head that lingers around for a while before evaporating. The aroma is a mildly blueberry and malt smell and the color is a clear, golden amber.

In terms of taste, this is the beer drinker's fruit beer. Far from overpowering, this is a sublte blueberry taste that compliments the nice balance of malt and hops in the body of the beer. Rather than syrupy or tasting like an afterthought additive, the blueberry taste in this beer does not overpower and just gives the beer some character. More than anything, this is a good American ale that happens to hint at having blueberries in it.

I really don't care for fruit beers, but continue to be impressed with the restraint the brewer has in making this beer. Well done.

1.54/5  rDev -55.7%

Bottle: Poured a light brown color ale with a huge thick foamy head with good retention. Aroma of light blueberry is drier then expected with some funky malt also noticeable. Taste is a weird mix between light blueberry and dry malt with a funky finish that doesn’t integrate very well. Light body with some medium carbonation. I had a couple of blueberry beers in the past few months and they all end up being a drain pour. I am starting to think that this fruit doesn’t integrate well with beer and brewer should think about using some other kind of fruit.

3.69/5  rDev +6%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a dark amber color. Maybe a 1/4 inch light brown head, not much retention. Some lacing.

Aroma is fresh blueberries.

Flavor is just a touch sweet, with lightly toasted malt, and blueberries. The blueberries seem very subtle in the flavor of this example, really coming out more in the finish & aftertaste. No bitterness on any level.

Medium body, average carbonation. Pretty basic ale, with a touch of blueberry flavor. Balance seems ok, though no really obvious hop presence to be found. Overall a decent, refreshing fruit beer that isn't overbearing. Decent session material.

4.77/5  rDev +37.1%

I really like this beer. The first time I bought it, I was a bit skeptical, but I was glad I did. The taste and the smell are quite pleasant. I even have a friend who drinks this now after sampling one of mine. A couple of weeks ago we were at a party and I had brought Red Stripe. After 2 red stripe (which tasted terrible I might add) I was able to get a couple of these from my buddy and I was in heaven. Want something different? Try this.

3.2/5  rDev -8%

Pours a nice clear amber color, with a modest head that fades quickly. Fruity, berryish aroma with some slight hoppy scent. Well, blueberry is the dominant flavor. There's a little malt and some faint bitterness, but neither is very interesting. The best thing I can say is that it isn't too sweet, but otherwise, it's mostly inoffensive and bland.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

This interesting fruit beer pours a light amber gold with good carbonation. The bright head thins quickly leaving a slight diminishing lace.

The aroma is expectedly light and fruity with a bit of hops hinting through.

Surprisingly this ale delivers an very authentic 'nonartificial' blueberry flavor throughout. The blueberry is not overwhelming however leaving room for a mellow hoppiness. The finish leaves hints of sweet maple.

A smooth crisp mouthfeel allows for high drinkability. Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale is a nicely refreshing summer beer.

3.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Never been a huge fan of fruit beers but this is probably the best I've tried. From a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, this beer looked exceptional. Deep orangy amber color with a large head and very nice lacing.

Smell is blueberry's and a faint hoppiness.

Taste starts out quite sour, but turns sweeter with warming. Blueberry's or blueberry extract is the main taste. Some hoppiness and the malt backbone balance nicely.

Mouthfeel is a bit too thin, watery maybe.

Overall, well balanced and refreshing, but I couldn't drink too many of these before I got tired of it.

2.83/5  rDev -18.7%

12oz. bottle notched BB: March '07

Not sure if this passed it's freshness date a few weeks ago, or if it was dull to begin with.

Appearance is ok, a clear reddish-amber tone that pours with a finger of foam that settles quickly.

Smells of neutral malt/grain, questionable berry flavor. Nothing to draw one to drink it.

Taste is pretty bland and basic, slight bite at the end, with a twinge of blueberry in the aftertaste. A metallic grain component that hints at cheap macro, but with a slightly more full mouthfeel.

Skip it, unless you are hellbent on tasting every beer oddity out there...

3.26/5  rDev -6.3%

Smells of sweet blueberries and malt. The taste was of the same plus and extra bite that almost tasted like the bottle itself. It had a very metallic taste to it. The blueberry flavor is strong and good. It overshadows the other flavors put into this one. Average drinkablility. When I was done with it I was ready for something else but it wasn't awful.

Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale from Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ