Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale | Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ

Bar Harbor Blueberry AleBar Harbor Blueberry Ale

Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ
Maine, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A light fruit ale, made with Maine wild blueberries. As opposed to many of the sweeter fruit beers on the market, our addition of fresh Maine wild blueberries in this light ale yields a subtle blueberry aroma, without the sweet aftertaste. A mixture of the following Mutton malts, pale, crystal, and Munich, are combined with wheat to give this ale its lighter body, and we only use minimal amounts of Target and Willamette hops.

Added by Jason on 12-13-2001

Reviews: 269 | Ratings: 460
3.27/5  rDev -5.5%

I was greeted w/ a copper brew that held a small head w/o lacings throughout the entire drink. The blueberries overpower the nostrils, so that is all I smelled. The blueberries mesh well with the hops, so one gets a taste of blueberry w/ a smooth drink, yet there is a dry, hoppy aftertaste. Unfortunately, that is about all. This is one of those beers that if you want an ale, or a pale ale at that, you can do much better, and in my opinion you could do better w/ a Sea Dog Blueberry Ale right off the top of my head. I didn't mind this beer, I just don't see myself picking it up again.

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a nice amber color with a huge off-white colored head that possesses excellent lacing and retention. Very impressive appearance.

S- The aroma is some malt and a good dose of blueberries with some yeast as well.

T- The taste like the aroma features some malt with blueberry flavoring as well.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Not bad, especially for a fruit beer. Not overly sweet like I was worried. Not something I would want to drink all night, but it is something different that is a nice change of pace.

3.33/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The beer comes in a dark red amber with hints of purple from the blueberries.

The aroma offers blueberry jam, pie, candy, a huge artificial sugary sweetness, bready malt.

However, on the flavor, lots of grain, artificial blueberry flavors, blueberry syrup, a stiff lingering earthy bitterness, skunky malts. Overcarbonation. The beer is generally bland with lack of balance.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

12 ounce bottle, best before January 2013. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear amber color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention is decent, and there's a good amount of lacing. The aroma is mostly sweet, it smells like blueberries and sweet malt. The brew tastes like sweet and kinda tart blueberries and grainy malt, but there's also a slight bitter finish. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit slick and it's also refreshing. I liked this brew, I'd try it again. I think it's worth trying if you've never had it before.

A - Pours a slight hazy amber color with an inch of fluffy head.

S - Malt, strong blueberry smells sweet like I like it, and a nice bit of grain and wheat.

T - Light and easy drinking this blueberry beers drinks with a little sweetness an a nice dry body thats not too dry with a malt base to keep it in check. Like the grain finish leaves a bit of bitter that makes you want to revisit.

M - Light to medium, easy drinking

Overall I am glad I picked up a single and with their coal porter they are a pretty good brewery with quite a few great offerings. Would drink this again.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a somewhat cloudy consistency. Not a whole lot of head or lacing.

S: Smelled of blueberries and hops, but not much else. A pleasant smell.

T: Flavor had blueberries, mild hops and malt up front, but was thin going down. Left an unpleasant aftertaste.

M: A decent amount of carbonation and a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a highly uneven beer. The taste is simply a real drawback here. Could be better than it is.

3.73/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Color: Pours a nice copper amber color with a two finger head and lacing.

Aroma: Mild blueberry aroma with malty undertones. Standard fruit beer.

Taste: Blueberry shows through upfront and in the middle. Tastes like it's a wheat beer. Smooth and some hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Blueberry taste is "fade to back" which means that it starts out decent upfront and fades towards the back of the throat. I feel that it's not strong enough to actually mean anything.

Drinkability: Very drinkable with cold cuts. Heh. Refreshing. Simple. Gotta give it points for that. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking and you'll be fine.

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: medium head, amber orange in color

Smell: lots of blueberries

Taste: very blueberry--there is also a hint of wheat

Mouthfeel: sweet, tart, and crisp

Drinkability: This one is very sessionable for a fruit ale. It hits the blueberry taste perfectly. It does not go out of the box, but if blueberry and wheat is what you want, this is place for it.

3.35/5  rDev -3.2%

Copper (almost amber) with a full pillowy light beige head and very active carbonation (a bit much at first...). Big blueberry aroma and not much else. Strong blueberry flavor but a bit essence like in my taste since I'm not a blueberry fan. Light-medium bodied in light of the carbonation...

Label states: "America's Original Blueberry Ale" & "1 Pint 6 oz." (only a 12 oz. bottle - guess they used bomber labels by mistake)

Per Atlantic website:
A light fruit ale, made with Maine wild blueberries. A mixture of the following Mutton malts, pale, crystal, and Munich, are combined with wheat to give this ale its lighter body, and we only use minimal amounts of Target and Willamette hops.
ABV 5.2%

(Mike Ryan)

2.9/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours out amber with a small light tan cap that has mediocre head retention. The pillow left on the beer is pretty much close to how the head started out. Tiny amount of spotty lace.

S- A lot of malt and a lot of blueberry. It actually smells like fruit and not so much like some sort of additive. These notes combine to remind me of a blueberry muffin. Fades fairly quickly to almost nothing, wtf.

T- The initial aroma had me excited. The fruit flavor is like half medicinal weirdness and half blueberry flavor. The rest of the profile is bready yeast and some grainy malt. Slight tart.

MF- Light body that is just a bit creamy. A tiny bit of bitterness in the finish. Moderate carbonation.

DB- I got excited at first for a real blueberry flavor but it fell short. I guess it is brewed with flavoring and once again... it shows. The medicinal off flavor just builds and builds with time. I wish there were more ales like the NG fruit beers (not that I expected that here).

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%

A some what burnished copper to deep amber color, the head is adequate in size, frothy in texture and off white in color as it erodes a fair to middling sheet of lace is formed upon the glass. As one would expect the nose reeks of “Blueberries”, sweet, loads of malt, not bad, but not something that I really appreciate in my beers. Start is cloyingly sweet, malt laden, the top skimpy in feel. Finish is briskly carbonated, the hops subdued, very dry aftertaste, and I’m afraid a beer that is not much to my liking.

2.98/5  rDev -13.9%

I bought this beer for my wife, who likes fruit beers. She didn't like this one, so I got to finish her glass, as well as the remainder of the 22oz bottle. It was a dark amber color with a small head. Aroma was all sweet fruit. It had a berry taste, with the tiniest bit of hops coming through at the end. Far too sweet for my taste.

3.45/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a murky pale amber color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma is of blueberry pie. There isn't really any malt or hops in it, but it is strong and pleasant nonetheless. The taste has the same blueberry pie thing they aroma has, but with the addition of some malty tones in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a little too much carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer. While I am not a huge fan of fruit beers I have come to the conclusion that blueberries can add a lot to a beer. This beer, however, relies too much on the fruit, and could be better if it had more of a malt depth.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle, best by January '13, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear, deep orange body under a finger of frothy white head. Ok retention, spotty lace. Not bad.

S: Blueberry muffin, faint hops, and a metallic twang. Ok, not great.

T: Sweet fruit up front, bready malt midway through, and a moderately bitter finish. Bitter blueberry skin on the aftertaste. A little boring - definitely no better than average for the style.

M: Light-to-medium body with a goodly dose of creamy carbonation. Really excellent.

O: An average blueberry ale. No more no less.

Cheers!

3.92/5  rDev +13.3%

I swear I think Blueberry Ales are a guilty pleasure for me. They are often frowned upon, yet when they are executed well I really enjoy them.

I got a bottle of this in Maine a month ago and it showed a best before date of March of '09. Seemed like a long time so I didn't want to wait anywhere near that long.

The beer was a very nice looking beer. A two finger white foamy head that faded fairly quickly. Totally clear and a bright amber color with almost exclusively a traditional copper color. Some spotty lacing remained.

Aroma was fresh and of blueberries and toasted grains. Very nice.

Flavor was well balanced, fresh and light. A punch of blueberry up front, then it moves to a nice toasted malt, doughy bread flavor. Some subtle hop bitterness comes in and plays nice with the sweetness. Back to a smooth and subtle blueberry finish.

I admit that I love the actual berries and this must be why I enjoy these.

Mouth feel was light and refreshing. Almost crisp. A good effort and very drinkable.
When I visit Maine next summer, I'll have one of these.

Not a complex Belgian, but for what it is, it's a good effort.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Last of my beers from Maine..
comes in a 22oz bomber..simple label Blue with a pic of a small fishing boat in medium rough seas.
This is a very pleasant beer to behold..nice hazy brown with a good sized slightly off white head..that goes but a thin topping remains.
Lovelly fruity aroma though its more like blueberry pie than fresh blueberries..some malts in the back ground.
actually not to bad taste for a "fruit beer"..the blueberry is there but so is some hints of light chocolaty malts..not a dry finish.
Pretty good on the palate..lingers , but not overlong.
A very drinkable beer..refreshing "change up" type drink.
Thanks to Pedrmrtnz45 for this delightful beer.

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

This beer pours burnt orange in color with some amber highlights. It is topped with an inch of off white head that leaves little lacing.

I get a tart blueberry ale aroma. It is not real aromatic.

The taste starts out sweet. I taste a blend of sweet malt and blueberries. Towards the end I get a little bitterness to counteract the sweetness. The finish is clean.

Medium mouthfeel

This was the first blueberry beer that I ever tried and loved it at the time. My how palates change. I used to find it refreshing on hot summer days. Now I find it dull and lackluster. It makes me a little sad that this beer does not induce the pleasure that it once did. I hope my palate comes full circle and appreciates this beer again someday. It makes me feel like a beer snob.

3.4/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Came in my package of Maine greats courtesy of deltatauhobbit.

A: Pours a Beautiful copper hue with a fluffy white head that thins slowly and provides just a smidge of lacing

S: Light blueberry notes with hints of biscuit and yeast. Lightly sweet and very nice.

T: Nice balance of fresh deliciously sweet blueberries, and light biscuit malt. There is nothing artificial about this one when it comes to the blueberry.

M: Slightly bubbly with a medium body. Finishes sort of dry.

D: One bottle and done type of beer, though it is a pretty enjoyable bottle.

Overall: A real nice offering. It is not one you would session, but is a great appetizer brew or dessert beer to finish off a nice meal. A buddy of mine loves these fruit beers, and I wish I had shared this one with him, as it's the best blueberry beer I have had to date.

3.52/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark bronze with golden edges. Clear. Dirty, off-white head sticks around. Nose is perfumey with blueberries (duh) but also coriander, grains of paradise, and flowers. Sweet and tangy fruit are there as well. Toasted malt up front. Spicy, perfumey sweetness soon takes over. Coriander and sweet berry. Tangy and slightly bitter finish with lingering perfumey fruit. Not bad, but not my cup of tea. Moderate body, refreshing carbonation. Not my favorite style, but okay once in a while.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz bottle.

Poured a medium, see through, copper color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas and tastes of, guess what, blueberries. Smells like my wife's blueberry pancake mix. Medium sweet. Even though it was one dimensional, I thought this one wasn't bad.

Notes from 2/20/05

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured a caramel amber, very little head that quickly vanished. As one would expect, a bit of juicy blueberry in the aroma. Flavor was surprisingly malty with a toffee note. The blueberry flavor was very understated, almost more of an aromatic than a flavor. Blueberry tended to be a little artificial, like blueberry flavored breakfast cereal. The aroma must have been better than I thought, because my 8 year old son plopped down on the couch beside me and asked "what smells so good?" Or maybe that was just his sugary cereal radar going off.

3.63/5  rDev +4.9%

This 12 oz bottle pours a hazy, rust colored body with a small, silky head supported by lots of active carbonation. Head retains quite well and deposits a moderate amount of patchy lace.

Aroma is subdued, with a light note of fresh blueberries atop pale ale malt.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with moderate carbonation.

The taste is well balanced, and very tasty, but the blueberry flavor is not intense. I'm thinking that this was the intention of the brewery, as there is no cloying, berry sweetness. There is just enough berry to make this a unique and very quaffable pale fruit ale.

At $9.99 a sixpack at the many stores where i saw this on the Maine coast, it's no bargain, but it's a nicely drinkable, berry ale without an intense fruit flavor.

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance - a little hazy on the pour, a bright orange caramel color. A thin finger of cream-colored foam, a little soapy looking, with some thin but generous lacing.

Aroma - um, blueberries. Wait...yeah, that smells like blueberries.

Taste - thin grainy opening. Some interesting spices besides the obvious flavor of blueberry. I'm picking up clove and maybe some anise. Really offsets the sugary beer this could have been. A trail of hops on the swallow. A nice finish with some maltiness in there with the fruit and all.

Mouthfeel - a little slick, carbonation is a little under-average. The body is about medium, a fairly solid feel to it.

Drinkability - I enjoyed this beer and could drink plenty more of them!

3.26/5  rDev -5.8%

Smells of sweet blueberries and malt. The taste was of the same plus and extra bite that almost tasted like the bottle itself. It had a very metallic taste to it. The blueberry flavor is strong and good. It overshadows the other flavors put into this one. Average drinkablility. When I was done with it I was ready for something else but it wasn't awful.

3.14/5  rDev -9.2%

Made with Maine wild blueberries, Mutton malts, pale, crystal, Munich and wheat malts. Hopped with Target and Willamette. 5.2% ABV.

Sparkingly clear copper amber, forming a very small white head with nary any retention and absent lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma at first reminds me instantly of Coors Blue Moon but upon swirling, I do get a faux blueberry essence which is akin to fake blueberry flavoring one would smell in ice cream or candy. Subtle, but there are some toasty amber malts in there with some delicate floral hops. Cleanly fermented. The mouthfeel is crisp, slick and medium-bodied. The taste begins with some herbaceous hops, followed by an odd constellation of blueberry-like flavors, but it also takes on an orange peel and toast character as well. The flavors don't quite jibe together and create an unpleasant mishmash. The aftertaste borders on horrible, like someone dropped a handful of Pez into your Coors. The finish is ruddy.

Not recommended. A mess of a beer. Pass on this one. I poured it down the sink after about 2 oz. Your girlfriend or wife won't like it either. It sucks.

Revisit 5/31/09-This time, pours out to a cloudy amber with light sediment, is mildly carbonated, has an interesting "wild blueberry" character that kinda embraces the woodsniess/pine character of the blueberry bushes themselves. Is somewhat tart, has a medium body, mild bitterness, and a strong potpourri flavor in the middle. Maybe my taste has changed, but it's certainly not as bad as my prior review would indicate. Ratings are updated.

Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale from Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ