Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale | Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ

Bar Harbor Blueberry AleBar Harbor Blueberry Ale

Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ
Maine, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A light fruit ale, made with Maine wild blueberries. As opposed to many of the sweeter fruit beers on the market, our addition of fresh Maine wild blueberries in this light ale yields a subtle blueberry aroma, without the sweet aftertaste. A mixture of the following Mutton malts, pale, crystal, and Munich, are combined with wheat to give this ale its lighter body, and we only use minimal amounts of Target and Willamette hops.

Added by Jason on 12-13-2001

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last
Reviews: 269 | Ratings: 460
3.15/5  rDev -9%

This beer had a orangey cloudy color. The smell was blueberry, as stated on the label. Not a rush of blueberries to your nose, but more restrained. Which I prefer. In the back was some grassy aroma. The taste was a slight blueberry, all warpped up in a nice bitterness and beer taste. Not overly sweet - like they sometimes are. Quite nice overall, but it could use a bit more blueberry taste here and there.

3.14/5  rDev -9.2%

Bottle into glass. Amber pour, not much in the way of head. Very slight blueberry aroma. Flavor delivered a little more than aroma, was a nice amount of blueberry, doesn’t hit you hard like some others, just enough there for you to enjoy, but not get sick of.

3.97/5  rDev +14.7%

This ale poured a crystal clear amber with a thin white head. Would have liked to seen more body in the head. The scent of Blueberries is about all that was noticeable. The taste is of blueberries with the malts taking care of the muffin portion. If you are a fan of blueberry muffins this is the ale for you. The mouth-feel was clean and fresh with little aftertaste. I expected a perfume aftertaste but it never came.
I would drink a few of these with dessert or as a nightcap.

4.58/5  rDev +32.4%

First fruit beer I think I have ever actually taken a liking too. But it is very reminiscent of Leinenkugals Sunset Wheat.

A: Excellent looking beer. Pour a clear copper with a tannish white head that was highly carbonated. The foam dissipated quickly.

S: Very strong blueberry aromas with an almost wheat scent. Im getting smells of toast in the morning with blueberry jam.

T: Superb taste, the blueberries really pack in at the end with a nice lemony flavor that hits first. However this does taste exactly like Lienenkuglas Sunset Wheat.

M: Smooth and extremely easy to drink. I feel like I'm actually cheating at the act of drinking beer.

D: I could definitely pound these down on any occasion. Excellent quality beer.

3.31/5  rDev -4.3%

I enjoy trying new beers and this was actually recommended by a good friend.

A- Probably the best atribute of this ale is its color. A transparent burnt umber and orange give this ale a beautiful color.

S- Not a very noticable blueberry scent, but it is faintly there.

T- The burnt umber of the color comes through in its aftertaste. Too Ale-like for my tastes.

M- Nice full feeling.

D- Due to it being an Ale, this beer is only average in its drinkability.

Ale drinkers that like to experiment should give this a try!

4.12/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Overall the best fruit-beer I've ever had. Enjoyed this at the Bangor Brew Fest and have savored a six pack at least once a month since. Very robust blueberry taste and freshness, but i don't think this flavor would mix well with a stout as it is just too powerful. Great for beginners starting on craft/micro-brew beer looking for a delightful mix of seasonal flavors and costal brews. I have really enjoyed it, I'm sure you will!

3.4/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

A - Poured a little darker than expected with about a finger of foamy head.

S - Nothing too special for me, some hops but nothing really stood out for me. My wife agreed.

T - It's decent with just a hint of blueberry. My wife tasted it more than I, but I felt it was just a little above average for an ale. I was expected a little more fruity flavor.

M - Average balance between malt and hops, carbonation as expected. Again, nothing really stood out for me.

D - Easy enough to drink, and the subtle blueberry taste was nice. I could drink a few of these without any problem. It's certainly not a beer I would turn down, but overall I felt it was on-par with some of my other "staple" beers.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

This is another trade show beer for me. I wantedto try something different and based on the salesman's recommendation I gave it a whirl. It poured a nice purplish color and a creamy head. The flavor was a bit too sweet for my taste. It almost reminded me of a very heavy very strong wine cooler. It didn't have much of an after taste or a strong bite(which I personally prefer). It did pack quite a punch, which made somewhat of a difference. All in all, just in my own pewrsonal taste, I did not care for this beer. It may have been better paired with a chocolate or berry dessert, or even better what maine is known for, lobster.

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle in Pint Glass

A- Nice light ale with a blue hue

S- Instantly its blueberries, but not in a bad way. some light spicy scents and light hops.

T- Lightly sweet with essence of blueberries not artificial tasting.
Great Dry Flavor, light hops and mild malt flavors.

M- over abundance of very fine carbonation, personal turnoff. Nice and Dry with almost no coating of the mouth.

D- Carbonation makes it a beer I would not drink more that one of at a time. But I will drink one when and if I get a chance again.

3.24/5  rDev -6.4%

This blueberry ale is a bit different from I am accustomed to here in NC. (This is not saying much due to just "Popping the Cap" in Sept.)
It is a delightful change from the fruity wit beers that are available. This brew is a pale or amber base. The color is amber with dark golden tones, Brilliant.The head is off-white and tight laced but did not last long. Lest a thin lacing in the glass.
The nose is fresh blueberries, honey, parsley and hints of sweet malt.
The mouth is full of the blueberry esthery hops with some slight earthy qualities. A buscuity malt falvor seeps in mid-palate this almost turns the blueberry chalky. The finish is long, bitter/sweet with a good dose of fruit.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Atlantic Brewing Company- Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale
A subtle and evenly balanced presentation of blueberries- lacing fine quality easy drinking ale- that wins fans with every sip.
Semi-sweet flavors adorned with an aromatic blueberry nose.
Easy to drink and ready to please.

3.89/5  rDev +12.4%

I got this as a trial bottle from the Dops beer rep. Upon opening the bottle you get hit with the blueberry smell, kind of like blueberry muffins, a flavour that plays out when you take the first sip. The overall mouthfeel gives me the impression that the blueberry flavour is in the background not dominating. Honestly this tasted more "beery" than I expected which was good.

Final impression - I would drink this beer but only every so often. It's too sweet to be refreshing and not bold enough to be taken seriously.

2.26/5  rDev -34.7%

A - Reddish/orange, light cream-white head that quickly dissolves to nothing, no lacing, and small slow rising bubbles

S - Mild blueberry aroma and a hint of hops, not overly fruity

T - Beer with blueberries ont a blueberry beer like others I've had. It has a crisp finish and a little hop flavor. The more you drink the blueberry tends to get lost.

M - Very light but with a surprising amount of carbonation compared with how it looks

D - I found this to be more like a pale ale and it was a bit unbalanced between the sweetness and hops

Served - 12oz bottle poured into small glass mug

Enjoying my first one tonight. Very nice blueberry taste with a slight hoppy bite. Almost too
slight. Not a lot of kick (5%) but it definitely reminds you of Bar Harbor Maine with it's subtle
aroma and fizz is quite enjoyable.

btw, would someone care to enlighten me why a "head" on a beer is soooo important? Why
would you pour it in a glass to get warm?

2.83/5  rDev -18.2%

Beer poured as a redish amber with quick, thin, white head. Bar Harbor had a nice blueberry smell but not enough character to really intrigue me. Flavor was very pleasant at first but overall both it and mouthfeel were not lasting. I would say that on a very hot day this would be a perfect beer but on a January night watching football ... not so much.

3.98/5  rDev +15%

Immediately upon opening this beer the blueberry overtone is present. I gave this beer a 3.0 on appearance because I drank it out of the bottle, but from reading other reviews it seems to be about what it deserves. The smell, as aforementioned, is strong like blueberries. The taste is decent, to be quite honest it tastes like drinking blueberry pancakes, although admittedly it is not what I would consider a 'sweet' beer, considering it is a fruity beer. The mouthfeel I find is the weakest part of this beer, I cannot place exactly what it is but there is definately something present that isn't quite palatable. Overall, this is a great summertime beer, although probably more preferred by the females.

4.78/5  rDev +38.2%

By far and away my favorite beer ever
a- pedestrian pale and yellow, don't let the look leave you behind
s-awesome, blueberries are an essential part of being a Mainiac and this nose leaves an authentic feel vs. extract
t- unbelievable the blueberry is not overpowering but effective. Has a solid malt background which yields a great mixture of the fruit beer that has a solid beer finish
m- medium to light on feel and carbonation goes
d- Beerhalla. Each one satisfies to the last drop

If you ever in Portand, the best pour is 3 Dollar Deweys. This beer is a seminal brand if you are living the "Way Life Should Be".

3.41/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured in a pint glass, a perfectly clear, rich amber color, thin head that dissipates quickly.

Not bad at all! A malt beer with very little sugary sweetness and with hints of hops. Fruit taste is quite subtle, with a nice light biterness and very subtle sour notes towards the end. Refreshing and pleasant.

Strange though that nowhere on the website, on the bottle or on the 6-pack is any mention of the alcohol content, which I evaluate around 4.5 to 5%...

3.13/5  rDev -9.5%

I'm a huge Blueberry fan. I love Blueberry beer and wine, although both have unique differences. I've tried many different Blueberry beers and I was excited to try this one. I mean why not? aren't Maine Blueberries supposed to be the best??

Well, I'm sad to say that I was disappointed. The blueberry aroma was only somewhat noticeable and the taste mediocre. Still, it wasn't a bad beer, and I would certainly drink it again, but I expected more from this Maine brewery.

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last