Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale | Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ

Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ
Maine, United States
atlanticbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A light fruit ale, made with Maine wild blueberries. As opposed to many of the sweeter fruit beers on the market, our addition of fresh Maine wild blueberries in this light ale yields a subtle blueberry aroma, without the sweet aftertaste. A mixture of the following Mutton malts, pale, crystal, and Munich, are combined with wheat to give this ale its lighter body, and we only use minimal amounts of Target and Willamette hops.

Added by Jason on 12-13-2001

3.73/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Color: Pours a nice copper amber color with a two finger head and lacing.

Aroma: Mild blueberry aroma with malty undertones. Standard fruit beer.

Taste: Blueberry shows through upfront and in the middle. Tastes like it's a wheat beer. Smooth and some hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Blueberry taste is "fade to back" which means that it starts out decent upfront and fades towards the back of the throat. I feel that it's not strong enough to actually mean anything.

Drinkability: Very drinkable with cold cuts. Heh. Refreshing. Simple. Gotta give it points for that. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking and you'll be fine.

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

2.98/5  rDev -13.9%

I bought this beer for my wife, who likes fruit beers. She didn't like this one, so I got to finish her glass, as well as the remainder of the 22oz bottle. It was a dark amber color with a small head. Aroma was all sweet fruit. It had a berry taste, with the tiniest bit of hops coming through at the end. Far too sweet for my taste.

3.19/5  rDev -7.8%

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%

A some what burnished copper to deep amber color, the head is adequate in size, frothy in texture and off white in color as it erodes a fair to middling sheet of lace is formed upon the glass. As one would expect the nose reeks of “Blueberries”, sweet, loads of malt, not bad, but not something that I really appreciate in my beers. Start is cloyingly sweet, malt laden, the top skimpy in feel. Finish is briskly carbonated, the hops subdued, very dry aftertaste, and I’m afraid a beer that is not much to my liking.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

3.45/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a murky pale amber color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma is of blueberry pie. There isn't really any malt or hops in it, but it is strong and pleasant nonetheless. The taste has the same blueberry pie thing they aroma has, but with the addition of some malty tones in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a little too much carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer. While I am not a huge fan of fruit beers I have come to the conclusion that blueberries can add a lot to a beer. This beer, however, relies too much on the fruit, and could be better if it had more of a malt depth.

3.77/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.34/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark amber with a foamy ring and some creeping lace.

Smell is buttery blueberry, and strawberry balsamic vinegar--I'm not sure this is intentional.

Taste is blueberry cobbler, with that lager-like malt and tart blueberry. It is nearing souring at times, which I was a touch concerned about.

Now that I read other reviews of this, it seems the souring may be a persistent, and thus intentional, attribute. In that case, I like it more, it's just so faintly lurking in the background that it seems like it's a little creepy.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

This beer pours burnt orange in color with some amber highlights. It is topped with an inch of off white head that leaves little lacing.

I get a tart blueberry ale aroma. It is not real aromatic.

The taste starts out sweet. I taste a blend of sweet malt and blueberries. Towards the end I get a little bitterness to counteract the sweetness. The finish is clean.

Medium mouthfeel

This was the first blueberry beer that I ever tried and loved it at the time. My how palates change. I used to find it refreshing on hot summer days. Now I find it dull and lackluster. It makes me a little sad that this beer does not induce the pleasure that it once did. I hope my palate comes full circle and appreciates this beer again someday. It makes me feel like a beer snob.

3.92/5  rDev +13.3%

I swear I think Blueberry Ales are a guilty pleasure for me. They are often frowned upon, yet when they are executed well I really enjoy them.

I got a bottle of this in Maine a month ago and it showed a best before date of March of '09. Seemed like a long time so I didn't want to wait anywhere near that long.

The beer was a very nice looking beer. A two finger white foamy head that faded fairly quickly. Totally clear and a bright amber color with almost exclusively a traditional copper color. Some spotty lacing remained.

Aroma was fresh and of blueberries and toasted grains. Very nice.

Flavor was well balanced, fresh and light. A punch of blueberry up front, then it moves to a nice toasted malt, doughy bread flavor. Some subtle hop bitterness comes in and plays nice with the sweetness. Back to a smooth and subtle blueberry finish.

I admit that I love the actual berries and this must be why I enjoy these.

Mouth feel was light and refreshing. Almost crisp. A good effort and very drinkable.
When I visit Maine next summer, I'll have one of these.

Not a complex Belgian, but for what it is, it's a good effort.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle, best by January '13, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear, deep orange body under a finger of frothy white head. Ok retention, spotty lace. Not bad.

S: Blueberry muffin, faint hops, and a metallic twang. Ok, not great.

T: Sweet fruit up front, bready malt midway through, and a moderately bitter finish. Bitter blueberry skin on the aftertaste. A little boring - definitely no better than average for the style.

M: Light-to-medium body with a goodly dose of creamy carbonation. Really excellent.

O: An average blueberry ale. No more no less.

Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Last of my beers from Maine..
comes in a 22oz bomber..simple label Blue with a pic of a small fishing boat in medium rough seas.
This is a very pleasant beer to behold..nice hazy brown with a good sized slightly off white head..that goes but a thin topping remains.
Lovelly fruity aroma though its more like blueberry pie than fresh blueberries..some malts in the back ground.
actually not to bad taste for a "fruit beer"..the blueberry is there but so is some hints of light chocolaty malts..not a dry finish.
Pretty good on the palate..lingers , but not overlong.
A very drinkable beer..refreshing "change up" type drink.
Thanks to Pedrmrtnz45 for this delightful beer.

2.25/5  rDev -35%

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

3.4/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Came in my package of Maine greats courtesy of deltatauhobbit.

A: Pours a Beautiful copper hue with a fluffy white head that thins slowly and provides just a smidge of lacing

S: Light blueberry notes with hints of biscuit and yeast. Lightly sweet and very nice.

T: Nice balance of fresh deliciously sweet blueberries, and light biscuit malt. There is nothing artificial about this one when it comes to the blueberry.

M: Slightly bubbly with a medium body. Finishes sort of dry.

D: One bottle and done type of beer, though it is a pretty enjoyable bottle.

Overall: A real nice offering. It is not one you would session, but is a great appetizer brew or dessert beer to finish off a nice meal. A buddy of mine loves these fruit beers, and I wish I had shared this one with him, as it's the best blueberry beer I have had to date.

3.52/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark bronze with golden edges. Clear. Dirty, off-white head sticks around. Nose is perfumey with blueberries (duh) but also coriander, grains of paradise, and flowers. Sweet and tangy fruit are there as well. Toasted malt up front. Spicy, perfumey sweetness soon takes over. Coriander and sweet berry. Tangy and slightly bitter finish with lingering perfumey fruit. Not bad, but not my cup of tea. Moderate body, refreshing carbonation. Not my favorite style, but okay once in a while.

Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale from Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ