Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brother Adam's Bragget Ale | Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ

Atlantic Brewing Company / Mainely Meat BBQ
Maine, United States
atlanticbrewing.com

Style: Braggot

Akin to a barley wine, we suggest this ale as an after dinner drink.

It has a truly unique & sophisticated flavor due to the use of wildflower honey as the catalyst for the production of alcohol. We simply use pale malt and a very small amount of Target hops in this Belgian style ale. The bulk of the body, color and sweetness come from the 2,000 lbs. of honey we add to the boil.

The Brother is cellared for up to a year before it is bottled, which helps to marry the flavors and create the complex palate in this Bragget.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2002

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Perhaps not unsurprising, I am not clear exactly how the style should play out, but...

A: nice clear copper-brown color, with a head that took an effort to produce, but sustained nicely after poured,

S: obvious honey, but some toffee as well. I also get what reminds me a little of instant lemon tea, but I can almost guarantee that's just me.

T/M: the honey backs a light toasty flavor, taking over the taste pretty quickly. From there, there isn't much of an obvious change, to me. The honey taste fades, and I get a little apple and a hint of pine at the end. That pine taste also brings about a burnt sugar taste. None of these are strong as the carbonation hat plays on the tongue to provide more of a distraction from the mead flavors than the other flavors I get.

O: my first sip of this overpowered me with sweetness. On my second sip, with perhaps my buds adjusted, it was obviously not something I was going to drain-pour as syrup. That said, it was still an interesting beer that reminds me a lot of a hopped-up hard cider in its opening sweetness and an overly sweet barley wine in its dark sugar ending.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured chilled in flared ale glass; this review shared with buzzlitebeer

A: very good carbonation but little head; dark amber color, a bit of orange and dark honey in appearance; lacing ok
S: honey, fruit
T: honey, malt; not complex; some spicing (unidentified); clean finish; quite sweet; very little bitterness--probably not much in the way of hops

An amazing dessert beer