Moosehead Lager | Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2001

Ratings: 1,398 |  Reviews: 506
3.19/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.7/5  rDev +54.6%

3.22/5  rDev +5.9%

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

I used to slug these down and it's a pretty good American style macro with some pretensions as to being "small brewery" stuff. A solid choice.

3.85/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I'll admit, I'm going to be a little bit bias towards this review, but I'll try to be as neutral as can be.

I feel like here, in southern Ontario, Moosehead is a little bit underrated/forgotten about.

L: It's definitely that typical blonde lager we all know about.
S: Has that relatively familiar grainy/corny type scent in lagers also.
T: Has more bite and overall flavor than what its meant to compete against, which is great.
F: Not easy to shotgun at a Canadian college party as other beers, but it's still very refreshing on a warm day, which is where it shines

Overall: I certainly think it's much better than its competitors in every aspect, plus the whole story behind the brewery is worth reading. Definitely worth a try, if you put away your self-proclaimed "refined tastes".

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

3.42/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.45/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.94/5  rDev -3.3%

2.55/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.2/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

It's a lager. What more can i say!

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.04/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Skunky up front but kind of mellows out as you drink on. Love the moose label on the bottle.

3.01/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.16/5  rDev +3.9%

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's an unoffensive AAL which seems to go down pretty easily. Club soda crispness instead of sweet corn cloying is what really separates this one from the rest of the AAL crowd. Little bit of corn in that slightly sweet and sour AAL aftertaste. You could do a lot, lot worse.

3.3/5  rDev +8.6%

Saw this 12 Pack in the same place where I get my cheap PA beers and it was featured along with "Radler" from Moosehead. Call me a novice here, but it wasn't until I heard that a friend had a Bud Light "Radler" in Canada did I realize that it was a type of beer? New one on me, but sure enough I saw 5 separate "Radler" flavors in the next two weeks.

So, this one with the tag line "Canada's Oldest Independent Brewery" drew some closeness to Yuengling being "Americas Oldest Brewery" and well, still independent... I've had your Molsons and Lebatts and not really my thing for the Canadian "burp beers", but I figured I'd try the Moose.

I may have had a Moosehead before somewhere in my youth, but being in a green bottle with unknown storage made it not a fond memory. Same with Heineken, but when I had Heiny in a can, that was a different, decent beer to me. So, I bought a 12 pack of Moosehead Lager in the can.

Poured as light yellow of a beer that I've seen in a bit with tremendous amount of carbonation and a good head and sticky lace. Cheap beer scent with just a touch of the alcohol. I guess it's that cooked grain scent. There are some worse cheap beer smells. Washed clean, watery, light with the smallest hint of bitter. Well cuz... Of all the various Canadian burp beers I've had, this one is one I'd like to have again. It has just a slight buttery twinge to it on the outside, but the center is a non offensive, not over powering, with just a sweet note. Nothing outstanding, but to have a few of these rather than BudMillerCoorsMolsonLebatts or even as a change up for my go-to Pabst Or Yuengling, I'll welcome this Canadian beverage into my fridge again.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Gold colored beer of your typical macro. I am a fan of macros and this to me is a good beer. A little more flavorful than most macros. I buy six packs of this often.

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.04 out of 5 with 1,398 ratings