1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Moosehead Lager | Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager
3.05/5
Okay
Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Moosehead Breweries Ltd.
New Brunswick, Canada
moosehead.ca

Style: American Lager

Sold throughout Canada, The United States, and in select countries around the world, our flagship Moosehead Lager is often regarded as Canada’s premium lager. This golden, refreshing lager offers a fine balance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness. Brewed with 100% Canadian two-row pale malt and Moosehead’s own lager yeast, Moosehead Lager is cool-fermented and cold-aged to impart its award-winning flavour.

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,490 |  Reviews: 533
Reviews by Garrett092112:
2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

3.3/5  rDev +8.2%

Saw this 12 Pack in the same place where I get my cheap PA beers and it was featured along with "Radler" from Moosehead. Call me a novice here, but it wasn't until I heard that a friend had a Bud Light "Radler" in Canada did I realize that it was a type of beer? New one on me, but sure enough I saw 5 separate "Radler" flavors in the next two weeks.

So, this one with the tag line "Canada's Oldest Independent Brewery" drew some closeness to Yuengling being "Americas Oldest Brewery" and well, still independent... I've had your Molsons and Lebatts and not really my thing for the Canadian "burp beers", but I figured I'd try the Moose.

I may have had a Moosehead before somewhere in my youth, but being in a green bottle with unknown storage made it not a fond memory. Same with Heineken, but when I had Heiny in a can, that was a different, decent beer to me. So, I bought a 12 pack of Moosehead Lager in the can.

Poured as light yellow of a beer that I've seen in a bit with tremendous amount of carbonation and a good head and sticky lace. Cheap beer scent with just a touch of the alcohol. I guess it's that cooked grain scent. There are some worse cheap beer smells. Washed clean, watery, light with the smallest hint of bitter. Well cuz... Of all the various Canadian burp beers I've had, this one is one I'd like to have again. It has just a slight buttery twinge to it on the outside, but the center is a non offensive, not over powering, with just a sweet note. Nothing outstanding, but to have a few of these rather than BudMillerCoorsMolsonLebatts or even as a change up for my go-to Pabst Or Yuengling, I'll welcome this Canadian beverage into my fridge again.

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I'll admit, I'm going to be a little bit bias towards this review, but I'll try to be as neutral as can be.

I feel like here, in southern Ontario, Moosehead is a little bit underrated/forgotten about.

L: It's definitely that typical blonde lager we all know about.
S: Has that relatively familiar grainy/corny type scent in lagers also.
T: Has more bite and overall flavor than what its meant to compete against, which is great.
F: Not easy to shotgun at a Canadian college party as other beers, but it's still very refreshing on a warm day, which is where it shines

Overall: I certainly think it's much better than its competitors in every aspect, plus the whole story behind the brewery is worth reading. Definitely worth a try, if you put away your self-proclaimed "refined tastes".

One of my favorite beers of all time! Fiercely Independent! (Not like Molson who sold out to coors.) Established 1867. Union Made. I live in Maine so we always get Moosehead Lager fresh over the border. Perfect balance of malt and hops. I wouldn't call it an "American Lager" style as there is no American macro-brew or micro-brew lager that even comes close. Pure New Brunswick water and I taste no adjuncts whatsoever, just pure nonGMO barley. I wish I knew what hops are used, but whatever it is, it is perfect. Wicked Good! and reasonably priced too, about $6.00 a six pack. If I had only one beer to drink for the rest of my life it would be (and is) Moosehead Lager!

3.22/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Yikes. Scent of cabbage adjunct yikes. Taste was actually not too bad. Fairly bready with not too much else happening. Maybe a slight zing to the end with some hops. Well carbonated.

3.89/5  rDev +27.5%

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Brewery in Saint John, New Brunswick. 473ml can. 5% alc.

Thick soapy white head. The beer is a light golden colour with lots of bubbles.

The aroma is grain and hops. And it's very light.

The taste is barley malt, hops, and white bread.

Mouthfeel is watery with mild carbonation.

The body is light and the finish is crisp.

This was my go to beer in the mid-1990s. But the price kept creeping up and so I moved on to other beers.

At any rate, for the style, this is well done and refreshing.

And I'll always be fond of the moose label!

3.68/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Since it's being labeled as "American Adjunct Lager " then I have to say it's a pretty damn impressive beer for this particular style if we are going to judge it in this category.

It seems to be old school beer with a lot of older folks raving about it that they used to drink it in the 80's or 90's or something. I've had it ice cold and was pleasantly surprised. It went down smooth, clean and refreshing. It wasn't skunked or anything like that. And I'd take it over any other big brews any day. Am I going to buy it myself? Probably not because I can get a better German brew for the same price. But is it bad? No, not at all, it's pretty damn good. I just don't care much for making it my 'go-to' because I have my favorites already. But I will gladly get it on draft if I can and I won't pass on it. It is a good beer.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Gold colored beer of your typical macro. I am a fan of macros and this to me is a good beer. A little more flavorful than most macros. I buy six packs of this often.

3.18/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's an unoffensive AAL which seems to go down pretty easily. Club soda crispness instead of sweet corn cloying is what really separates this one from the rest of the AAL crowd. Little bit of corn in that slightly sweet and sour AAL aftertaste. You could do a lot, lot worse.

3.4/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Light golden color with white cap and lacing.

Aroma is clean grain with a touch of hop seasoning.

Taste is good, not the best, not even really good. What I'm saying is it tastes a helluva lot like Miller High Life without Miller's hop brightness. Flavor is a little bigger than Miller and hops are more noticeable from entry to finish but it seems a bit muddled, almost heavy handed.

Texture is medium with balancing carbonation.

The Bull Moose has been neutered. Years ago this was good beer, rich, flavorful, malty with just enough hop bite. Not so much now. Buyouts, streamlined production, competition imposing a price ceiling, whatever, it's changed and not for the better. Most recent tasting revealed something lightened up with less of what made it desirable, less hops, less malt, less balance. Sorta like a committee designed AAL.

Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer's head is two fingers thick, with lateral lacing, and a clear medium-light golden body.

Smells like earthy, grassy grains with a touch of "skunkedness"

I taste brighter, crisper grains with a touch of dare I say, apple? Not as bad as I thought based off the aroma.

The mouthfeel I'm getting here is clean and crisp.

Overall,I'll give Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd. a solid 4. This was much better than I thought it would be; I'll say it again. I'd like to try and canned or draft version of this.

3.18/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Crystal clear golden straw color, thick white head, decent lacing

S: Hay, cracker

T: Nice sweetness, followed by a slight hop bitterness, clean finish

M: Light

O: A decent beer. Much better than most light lagers but not as good as some other adjuncts that Ive had.

3.33/5  rDev +9.2%

Crystalline pale yellow with a decent, somewhat creamy white head that shrinks to a bubbly ring. Smells faintly sweet and fresh...not too much is desernable but it smells fine. Clean, solid grainy sweet flavor with a flicker of grassy hops - no adjunct flavors to be found here. Light, crisp, and well carbonated.

Cheap, refreshing Canadian beer...accomplishes what it set out to do.

3.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Out of the bottle this Canuck brew was a light straw gold color with a foamy white head. The retention and lacing were mediocre and the aroma malty in a musty kind of way. The flavors were not much better, above average for a Macro lager but little more than that. Malt lager in the aftertaste and assorted wet grains in the middle with a undertone of minerals. The body was light/medium, the mouthfeel ok and the carbonation the same. Just a C class beer in general.

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

4.46/5  rDev +46.2%

This is the best beer to drink any time of the year. It is a true go-to for any occasion. Great for the cottage or even when you're skiing. It is a very drinkable and refreshing lager. It has a great mix of hops and malts to provide a drinkable and tasty beverage. It is the true Canadian beer, owned and brewed by Canadians. And Canadians have been enjoying it since confederation.

3.02/5  rDev -1%

3.44/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.88/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It appears the color is a shade beyond the US macros to dark gold. A disappearing head and a cloud of skunky smell are this brew's signature. ( I've had Moosehead without the skunk so I tend to believe that they do not have control- with the green bottles and all).

The taste is grainy and light. Disappointing. Back in the late '70's Canadian brew was seen as a step up from domestics... my nostalgia is quickly destroyed.

A watery mouthfeel finsih but it is oddly quaffable on this hot summer night.

3.16/5  rDev +3.6%

Grabbed a sixer of this from my local grocery the other day. 12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a pale, orange-tinted gold. A thick bone-white head rests atop. Decent retention. Lots of sticky lace left behind. Scents of grassy hops, grains, husk, and lemon. The mouth is slick and wet. Decent carbonation presence still.

Semi-sweet grains make up the flavor profile. Some slight honey-sweetness followed by lemon zest. Low-to-absent bitterness. Not a bad Pale Lager at all. I could have a few of these (and did for that matter), but it's just nothing noteworthy. Better than macro offerings, but better lighter beers out there for sure.

3.75/5  rDev +23%

2.5/5  rDev -18%

3.19/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a straw pale color out of the green bottle into my can-shaped glass. The head is impressive, 3 fingers, doesn't even recede in time for me to top it off without it spilling over. Lace left on the sides of the glass. Light hazy flecks float here and there.

Smell is slightly skunky, with grass, straw, pale barley, a slight fruity citrus aroma. The skunk overtakes the majority of it, though.

The flavor is thankfully a bit better, introducing some white bread and crusts, but still hangs quite heavily on corn and straw, wrapping up on a bitey, spicy finish.

Feel is almost non existent, just very carbonated, very light. A touch of dryness and spiciness on the finish.

Overall, this isn't half bad, I've had much worse. Maybe not quite as good as Molson, but better than LaBatt.

4.23/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev +23%

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.05 out of 5 with 1,490 ratings