Moosehead Lager | Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Alströms:

Ratings: 1,384 |  Reviews: 505
Reviews by OtherShoe2:
2.66/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours light yellow with a white fizzy head. Some light lacing. Nothing gorgeous, but it is clear and has enough head and bubbles to be interesting.

Scent is not all that great. This one had some serious skunk, but who knows how long this has been sitting on a restaurant shelf. I'd like to say that there was something else there, but skunk dominated. Can't knock the category rating any lower, because it may not be the producer, but the procurer who is responsible.

Light grainy malt with firm bitterness and a fairly clean finish. Some boiled grain elements, and I've had worse, but this one is ok. The hops help balance the sour grain-mash element, and some cutting flavors of grain husk give this another characteristic.

Well carbonated, not exactly medium bodied, but not light either.

This is pizza swill (or in this case, Thai). I suppose that an icy bucket of these on a hot day would hit the spot (and I remember buying this by the case when I was in my 20's, so more than a few of these were tipped by me after a hot day at work). Not exactly the sipper -- just not enough complexity here. Still, not a horrific effort.

3.89/5  rDev +28.4%

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Brewery in Saint John, New Brunswick. 473ml can. 5% alc.

Thick soapy white head. The beer is a light golden colour with lots of bubbles.

The aroma is grain and hops. And it's very light.

The taste is barley malt, hops, and white bread.

Mouthfeel is watery with mild carbonation.

The body is light and the finish is crisp.

This was my go to beer in the mid-1990s. But the price kept creeping up and so I moved on to other beers.

At any rate, for the style, this is well done and refreshing.

And I'll always be fond of the moose label!

Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer's head is two fingers thick, with lateral lacing, and a clear medium-light golden body.

Smells like earthy, grassy grains with a touch of "skunkedness"

I taste brighter, crisper grains with a touch of dare I say, apple? Not as bad as I thought based off the aroma.

The mouthfeel I'm getting here is clean and crisp.

Overall,I'll give Moosehead Lager - Moosehead Breweries Ltd. a solid 4. This was much better than I thought it would be; I'll say it again. I'd like to try and canned or draft version of this.

3.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's an unoffensive AAL which seems to go down pretty easily. Club soda crispness instead of sweet corn cloying is what really separates this one from the rest of the AAL crowd. Little bit of corn in that slightly sweet and sour AAL aftertaste. You could do a lot, lot worse.

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Gold colored beer of your typical macro. I am a fan of macros and this to me is a good beer. A little more flavorful than most macros. I buy six packs of this often.

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Saw this 12 Pack in the same place where I get my cheap PA beers and it was featured along with "Radler" from Moosehead. Call me a novice here, but it wasn't until I heard that a friend had a Bud Light "Radler" in Canada did I realize that it was a type of beer? New one on me, but sure enough I saw 5 separate "Radler" flavors in the next two weeks.

So, this one with the tag line "Canada's Oldest Independent Brewery" drew some closeness to Yuengling being "Americas Oldest Brewery" and well, still independent... I've had your Molsons and Lebatts and not really my thing for the Canadian "burp beers", but I figured I'd try the Moose.

I may have had a Moosehead before somewhere in my youth, but being in a green bottle with unknown storage made it not a fond memory. Same with Heineken, but when I had Heiny in a can, that was a different, decent beer to me. So, I bought a 12 pack of Moosehead Lager in the can.

Poured as light yellow of a beer that I've seen in a bit with tremendous amount of carbonation and a good head and sticky lace. Cheap beer scent with just a touch of the alcohol. I guess it's that cooked grain scent. There are some worse cheap beer smells. Washed clean, watery, light with the smallest hint of bitter. Well cuz... Of all the various Canadian burp beers I've had, this one is one I'd like to have again. It has just a slight buttery twinge to it on the outside, but the center is a non offensive, not over powering, with just a sweet note. Nothing outstanding, but to have a few of these rather than BudMillerCoorsMolsonLebatts or even as a change up for my go-to Pabst Or Yuengling, I'll welcome this Canadian beverage into my fridge again.

3.68/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Since it's being labeled as "American Adjunct Lager " then I have to say it's a pretty damn impressive beer for this particular style if we are going to judge it in this category.

It seems to be old school beer with a lot of older folks raving about it that they used to drink it in the 80's or 90's or something. I've had it ice cold and was pleasantly surprised. It went down smooth, clean and refreshing. It wasn't skunked or anything like that. And I'd take it over any other big brews any day. Am I going to buy it myself? Probably not because I can get a better German brew for the same price. But is it bad? No, not at all, it's pretty damn good. I just don't care much for making it my 'go-to' because I have my favorites already. But I will gladly get it on draft if I can and I won't pass on it. It is a good beer.

3.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Light golden color with white cap and lacing.

Aroma is clean grain with a touch of hop seasoning.

Taste is good, not the best, not even really good. What I'm saying is it tastes a helluva lot like Miller High Life without Miller's hop brightness. Flavor is a little bigger than Miller and hops are more noticeable from entry to finish but it seems a bit muddled, almost heavy handed.

Texture is medium with balancing carbonation.

The Bull Moose has been neutered. Years ago this was good beer, rich, flavorful, malty with just enough hop bite. Not so much now. Buyouts, streamlined production, competition imposing a price ceiling, whatever, it's changed and not for the better. Most recent tasting revealed something lightened up with less of what made it desirable, less hops, less malt, less balance. Sorta like a committee designed AAL.

3.22/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Yikes. Scent of cabbage adjunct yikes. Taste was actually not too bad. Fairly bready with not too much else happening. Maybe a slight zing to the end with some hops. Well carbonated.

2.86/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

1.84/5  rDev -39.3%

Appearance – Light yellow and very clear with some active carbonation. The head came up nicely but did a James Brown on me and was gone in a flash.

Smell – This one smelled like a farting skunk that ate rice for dinner.

Taste – This was horrid. The rice is subtle and is mixed with a pukish Sweet-N-Low sugary substance.

Mouthfeel – I kind of like the mouthfeel to this one. The carbonation isn’t bad, and it goes down smoother than most.

Drinkability – I can’t believe that I used to like this beer.

2.25/5  rDev -25.7%

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

2.53/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was ok but something about it did not really agree with me. It poured your standard macro lager color with a bit of a white frothy head that faded quick but left decent lace on my glass. The smell was overly sweet with malt and grain. The flavor was way too sweet and had little to no bitterness to balance it out. The grain flavors snuck in as well but the overly sweet flavor dominated too much. Not recommended at all.

2.25/5  rDev -25.7%

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

3.22/5  rDev +6.3%

12onz reclyced green bottle

Appearance : Yellow straw color with a small head.

Smell : Grainy and malted,very nice.

Taste: Hops are very present in this beer,grainy ,some bitterness but not in bad way.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability : Very nice to drink,this beer reminds why you like beer

3.31/5  rDev +9.2%

The "poor" smell is for the semi-occasional skunky bottle. Otherwise, a very drinkable golden brew with a decently clean finish. Good lawnmower beer. And I've yet to find a beer that, in all seriousness, causes people to belch as much as Moosehead. Is it the carbonation? I have no idea.

3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.
Beer rating: 13.7% out of 100 with 1,384 ratings