Moosehead Lager | Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

Moosehead LagerMoosehead Lager

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-26-2001

Ratings: 1,389 |  Reviews: 505

2.45/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.94/5  rDev -3%

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

It's a lager. What more can i say!

2.58/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.04/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Skunky up front but kind of mellows out as you drink on. Love the moose label on the bottle.

3.01/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.16/5  rDev +4.3%

2.88/5  rDev -5%

3.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's an unoffensive AAL which seems to go down pretty easily. Club soda crispness instead of sweet corn cloying is what really separates this one from the rest of the AAL crowd. Little bit of corn in that slightly sweet and sour AAL aftertaste. You could do a lot, lot worse.

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Saw this 12 Pack in the same place where I get my cheap PA beers and it was featured along with "Radler" from Moosehead. Call me a novice here, but it wasn't until I heard that a friend had a Bud Light "Radler" in Canada did I realize that it was a type of beer? New one on me, but sure enough I saw 5 separate "Radler" flavors in the next two weeks.

So, this one with the tag line "Canada's Oldest Independent Brewery" drew some closeness to Yuengling being "Americas Oldest Brewery" and well, still independent... I've had your Molsons and Lebatts and not really my thing for the Canadian "burp beers", but I figured I'd try the Moose.

I may have had a Moosehead before somewhere in my youth, but being in a green bottle with unknown storage made it not a fond memory. Same with Heineken, but when I had Heiny in a can, that was a different, decent beer to me. So, I bought a 12 pack of Moosehead Lager in the can.

Poured as light yellow of a beer that I've seen in a bit with tremendous amount of carbonation and a good head and sticky lace. Cheap beer scent with just a touch of the alcohol. I guess it's that cooked grain scent. There are some worse cheap beer smells. Washed clean, watery, light with the smallest hint of bitter. Well cuz... Of all the various Canadian burp beers I've had, this one is one I'd like to have again. It has just a slight buttery twinge to it on the outside, but the center is a non offensive, not over powering, with just a sweet note. Nothing outstanding, but to have a few of these rather than BudMillerCoorsMolsonLebatts or even as a change up for my go-to Pabst Or Yuengling, I'll welcome this Canadian beverage into my fridge again.

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Gold colored beer of your typical macro. I am a fan of macros and this to me is a good beer. A little more flavorful than most macros. I buy six packs of this often.

3.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

In my humble opinion this is the best of the Canadian imports!

2.49/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.68/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Since it's being labeled as "American Adjunct Lager " then I have to say it's a pretty damn impressive beer for this particular style if we are going to judge it in this category.

It seems to be old school beer with a lot of older folks raving about it that they used to drink it in the 80's or 90's or something. I've had it ice cold and was pleasantly surprised. It went down smooth, clean and refreshing. It wasn't skunked or anything like that. And I'd take it over any other big brews any day. Am I going to buy it myself? Probably not because I can get a better German brew for the same price. But is it bad? No, not at all, it's pretty damn good. I just don't care much for making it my 'go-to' because I have my favorites already. But I will gladly get it on draft if I can and I won't pass on it. It is a good beer.

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.89/5  rDev +28.4%

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Brewery in Saint John, New Brunswick. 473ml can. 5% alc.

Thick soapy white head. The beer is a light golden colour with lots of bubbles.

The aroma is grain and hops. And it's very light.

The taste is barley malt, hops, and white bread.

Mouthfeel is watery with mild carbonation.

The body is light and the finish is crisp.

This was my go to beer in the mid-1990s. But the price kept creeping up and so I moved on to other beers.

At any rate, for the style, this is well done and refreshing.

And I'll always be fond of the moose label!

2.82/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

1.78/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Moosehead Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.03 out of 5 with 1,389 ratings