Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

James Ready 5.5 | Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

James Ready 5.5James Ready 5.5

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.5/5  rDev -45.1%

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%

1.66/5  rDev -39.2%

I have had more bottles of this stuff than I'd care to count, mostly because it's often the only free beer available at school events. Here's the breakdown.

Appearance:
I've only ever drunk it straight from the bottle, and as such, I am not certain whether the appearance appeals to me or doesn't. From what I can tell through the bottle and some of the times I or others with me have spilled it, it is on the light side of medium, I would say a bit darker than most lagers. Foams up with big bubbles, and doesn't leave much of a fine lacing pattern behind. The head is a bit resilient, and it takes a bit of time and tapping the bottle for me to get at the beer itself.

Smell:
The smell is unremarkable, just mildly acrid and acidic, with no sign of any grain flavour.

Taste:
This is where the beer really fails, as it is incredibly hoppy in front, with an unpleasant sting I feel all over my body, and it does not redeem itself with its aftertaste, which is weak at best and far too fizzy most of the time

Mouthfeel:
It feels like I'm drinking a very fizzy soda, but I'm usually distracted by that godafwul taste to notice what it feels like.

Drinkability:
The taste sinks it, and the only reason it doesn't get a 1 flat here is that it has a decent alcohol content for a cheap beer, and it doesn't cost a lot for the distance it gets me to bombed.

1.8/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

James Ready: Really bad hangover ....

1.9/5  rDev -30.4%

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

2.31/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.33/5  rDev -14.7%

The lightest possible shade of straw - even champagne pales by comparison, hell probably some mineral waters too! The beer is perfectly transparent with a (literal) water-like complexion. The only thing giving it away would be an anemically thin tarp of white that subsists and leaves vague prints of lace. If this beer is even half as light drinking as it is looking than I understand the mainstream appeal already!

The aroma steers clear of being offensive but not by much. I keep thinking I can detect a hint of musty hops in there somewhere but the problem is they're so far buried under so many buckets of heavy, industrialized corn syrup that I'm beginning to hate myself for even looking. Clearly, people must drink this straight from the bottle.

The flavour I can make no defense for - it's darn near close to awful. For a beer this light coloured I'm surprised it could be so heavy in anything, including the cloying, artificial notes of corn syrup and 'who knows what' that sets in seconds after the swallow. Not only do I recommend drinking it from the bottle but I also recommend drinking it very, very cold.

Actually, I don't recommend drinking this at all. Beer should be enjoyed and - all relativity aside - there is nothing enjoyable about this. I understand we all drink according to our own tastes and so take my words as being subjective if you'd like, but I've tried this a number of times now and it does not fit my definition of a true beer in any way. This is considered a "value brand" in the province of Ontario; I can't find anything of value about it.

2.4/5  rDev -12.1%

a sad commercial adjunct ale.

Sickly sweet aroma pale yellow color, not much of a cap....sweet and funky like creamed corn with small hints of herbal hopping...fast finish, clean but totally uneventful and way too much carbonation...I was belching like a warf brigand on 2 sips of this stuff...if you were to chug a can you could compete in belching with those dorky kids on the Jackass show.

2.41/5  rDev -11.7%

473ml Can

Appearance – Clear light yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a below average amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, bread, corn, skunk/solvent/metallic

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste bread mixed with light floral hops and some corn. As well I can taste something along of the lines of medicine or solvent.. not pleasant. It finishes with a grainy corn syrup sweet aftertaste.

Overall – I was always curious about this beer. I've seen people buying cases of the stuff countless times, so I figured it was worth a try. I guess it's cheap.. and some people like it.. but I don't.

2.48/5  rDev -9.2%

Firstly, a bit about me to put my opinion into perspective.

I consider myself very sensitive to things unhealthy to my body due to my lifestyle. I snack on fruits and vegetables. I drink lots of water. Preservatives in beer give me headaches. I drink light beer. I'm your average 'health nut'.

Anyway, I can -taste- the extra .5 in JR. It has a nice sharp flavour that tastes refreshing when chilled just right, but the added alcohol just upsets my stomache. It's unfortunate because it's a well made, well carbonated beer. The .5 just sours the experience for me.

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottle: Poured a super light yellow color lager with a large bubbly pure white head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of light adjunct and residual sugar. Taste is bland though adjunct do not overtake too much from the taste. Body is quite light with good carbonation. Not bad for the style though not something I will seek out again - too bland for my taste.

2.58/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -4.8%

Have had this sitting in the back of the fridge all summer so figured I'd finally review it.

Pours a pale straw yellow with about 2 fingers of foamy white head that doesn't last long and leaves little in the way of lacing

Smells of grains, pale malt, hints of sweet corn which instensifies as the beer warms slightly. I'm starting to think this is least offensive drank "sub-zero" like some other quality adjunct lagers out there...

This beer has a sweet and grainy taste with the adjuncts still pretty evident. I might be detecting a hint of hops as well, but I'm probably reaching.

Highly carbonated and is actually relatively refreshing and inoffensive on this warm summer evening. Not something I'd ever buy myself, but there's alot of much worse discount adjunct lagers out there

2.64/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Tallboy can from the LCBO; packaged November 2011.

Pours a pale golden-yellow, topped with about one finger of smooth, white head. It's mostly gone within a minute or two, leaving behind a thin, foamy cap and decent quantities of lacing. It's hard to pick anything individually out of the aroma, except maybe the corn syrup. Other than that, 'grainy' is the only word I can confidently use here. To be blunt - it smells like cheap beer.

The taste isn't exactly good, but at the same time it's a far cry from undrinkable. Worth noting however, the flavour is a bit stronger than in most typical adjunct lagers. Dominated by light, grainy malts alongside sweet, corny adjunct notes that become more prominent in the finish. There aren't really any distinguishable hop characteristics; just some vague bitterness that mingles with the syrupy sweetness in the finish (but not enough to balance it). JR's carbonation level is through the roof; I have been drinking it for years and it always makes me feel bloated and belchy. Thin body, with a watery mouthfeel.

This is a beer that I consumed far too much of during university, and it definitely wasn't because I appreciated the nuances of its taste. It has two selling points: it is dirt cheap, and it is .5% stronger than most other dirt cheap beers. I will still pick up a six-pack occasionally if I am drinking socially and want to cough up as little money as possible, but if price is not a relevant concern for you then the value of this brand is questionable at best.

Final Grade: 2.64, about a C- on the letter grade scale. Looking for something cheap and tolerable that will get you hammered a bit faster than other value beers? Look no further. If you are looking for a quality adjunct lager though, your quest will not end here.

2.67/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
James Ready 5.5 from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.