Small Batch Series: Sugar Bush Black Lager | Moosehead Breweries Ltd.

3.94/5
Very Good

Moosehead Breweries Ltd.
New Brunswick, Canada
moosehead.ca

Style: European Dark Lager

A deep, dark, and delectable lager. This deliciously robust black lager features notes of coffee and cocoa infused with pure Quebec maple syrup as part of our Canadian Home Grown Series. Two Canadian super powers of maple syrup and beer are blended together seamlessly to create a delicious beer with a slightly sweet finish.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4
Reviews by ChrisCage:
4.37/5  rDev +10.9%

A- This one pours a relatively clear dark cola color and along comes a beautiful light caramel colored head that is puffy and around three fingers in thickness initially, eventually settling down to around one finger of froth that stretches around the inside of my glass in sticky fashion. The lacing is excellent as well, with many small patches showing sticky stubborn qualities. Overall a nice looking black lager!

S- Oooooh this is an intriguing smelling brew, primarily showcasing a distinct blend between Earthy dry chocolate and black malts, being balanced out by Quebec maple syrup sweetness! Delicate caramel/toffee richness, unsweetened cocoa, fresh vanilla bean pod and a coffee astringency finishes things off on the nostrils.

T- This is a very lovely, well rounded flavor profile overall, and I absolutely love the sweetness of the maple syrup on the palate....it is not overdone, as I have experienced before.....just subtle but makes its presence known. Clean, dry dark chocolate and/or cocoa, mocha coffee, vanilla and slightly oily hop cones make up the bulk of the middle and finish, with an ever so sweet/bitter lingering flavor that leaves me craving more.

M/O- Creamy carbonation allows the rich flavors to coat the palate very well, but my only knock would be that I would like to see the body a little fuller. It lies on the light-medium end of the spectrum, but I can live with this. The drinkability factor is very very high, as I am finding that there isn't much liquid left in my glass as I'm finishing this review......I would love to see this in Mooseheads' regular rotation and will definitely be getting more before it is gone.....hoping to see it offered in the future! Great job!

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Black with a moderate head and light cap. Prominent maple nose. Rich coffee malt flavour with maple sweetness. Crisp lager feel. Well-constructed.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am actually quite impressed with this small batch series program that Moosehead has undertaken. This beer was an unexpected surprise. A nice dark lager with a touch of maple sweetness added. Great look and smell, but I did find the feel a little too thin for my palate.

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Small Batch Series: Sugar Bush Black Lager from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.