Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bert & Ernie Barley Wine | Eske's Brew Pub & Eatery

eskesbrewpub.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by beergoot on 07-22-2012

3.77/5  rDev 0%

Partly cloudy reddish-orange body with hardly any head. Still, what head is there clings to the glass... Raisin and apricot smell, with a mild alcohol note in the background. Soft, rounded pale malt notes with the taste. Old sweetness on the tongue followed with a medium-grade bitterness. Alcohol warmth sneakily creeps in towards the end. Body is medium, semi-sweet, clean.

An interesting high ABV beer. The overall taste reminds me of a mellow, over-ripe apricot. Slight sweetness curbed by a dominating alcohol taste and hop bitterness. This might well mellow out nicely with a bit of additional aging (no bottling date on the bottle, but I do have an extra bottle on hand -- may wait to later this winter to sample it...). Depth and complexity are strongly hinted at with this brew; almost there. Give this one time to age, and my money is on that this will be one fine beer (and it ain't bad at the moment!)...

Note: availability is only a guess on my part. I didn't ask the folk's at Eske's when I bought my two sample 12 oz. bottles.

Bert & Ernie Barley Wine from Eske's Brew Pub & Eatery