Sap Sucker | Fernie Brewing Co.

Sap SuckerSap Sucker

Fernie Brewing Co.
British Columbia, Canada
ferniebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Since it set off on its maiden voyage from the brewery back early December 2010 - perfect timing for December festivities and those thirsty needs that generally accompany the season of good will, it hasn't stopped. Our deliciously dark & robust Porter, with a delicate but flavourful touch of maple syrup. Favoured by the educated craft beer drinker, looking for a uniquely rich & flavourful product, it’s popular with consumers, beer bloggers & judges!

Added by BDTyre on 12-20-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.45/5  rDev -62.3%

I'm sorry Fernie, but I must have gotten a rotten one.
That bottle I had drooled over as I pulled it from my stocking on Christmas morning left me weeping bitter tears of shock and disappointment.

It poured up beautifully, very dark with three fingers of creamy, long lingering head.

The smell was a bit weak, brown sugar and a slight ethereal off note.

The taste was unexpected. Once again I must have hit a bad bottle because the first faint hits of anything resembling mapley sweetness or even of a porter were quickly obliterated by a screaming wall of sourness.
"Do I spit or do I swallow? "
The question asked by thousands of college girls rolled around in my mind briefly before I involuntarily gulped it down. Can I get a "That's what she said?"

The lingering after taste was reminiscent of vomit long gone.

I will probably try again, just to see what it actually tastes like but I have to admit to being a little gun shy now.

Assuming that this really was a bad bottle, I wasn't even going to review it, but Fernie quality control should know, dammit!

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

3.04/5  rDev -21%

3.08/5  rDev -20%

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

This was the first maple flavoured beer I can ever recall trying, and I only tried it last night.

I was disappointed.

Oh, the beer is delicious - all the rich, dark flavours I love in a porter/stout are here. No qualms with me. What I didn't like was how I couldn't define the maple flavours that should be the most notable here. I could smell them, but I couldn't really taste any...and on that fact alone is why I dropped the "taste" category, because to me, it didn't match what was advertised.

That said, it's delicious for all the other reasons you love a porter, at least for me, so I would have it again. I just don't expect it to fill me if I'm lookin' for a maple fix.

3.39/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

So much head. I don't know if the bottle was defective but this poured all foam.

3.58/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fernie Brewing's 'Sap Sucker' @ 5.5% , an American Porter served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $6

A-pour is dark brown with some ruby red highlights along the glass edge which holds a good sized off white/tan head leaving a spotty lace in the pint glass

S-smells of burnt/smoked maple syrup

T-sweet tasting burnt/smoked maple syrup

MF-medium carbonation , medium body , tad thin , super sweet on the palate

Ov-one & done

prost LampertLand

3.58/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Part of a gift from my aunt that my brother brought back on a recent trip to their place in Surrey.

Poured from a 650ml. bottle.

Appearance: Pours a cola brown with some deep cherry-red hues. Good sized ecru head that has some good lacing on it.

Smell: Maple sugar, dark syrup as it warms but that's pretty much it. The aroma hovers around and is a bit hard to grasp.

Taste: Underlying maple syrup. At first, a slight metallic tinge. Not really sweet. It's got a bit more maple as it warms but still find it a bit lacking.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth & creamy with just enough carbonation. Body is full but loses a bit as it warms.

Overall: Maple is there but carries a slight bitterness as opposed to being sweet. I'm on the fence with this one. I love my maple syrup and to me, this one didn't quite measure up.

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a gorgeous, great looking, delicious beer. The maple is a wonderful accent on the roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee notes. I don't drink this often, but when I do, I imagine myself to be a sap vampire. Or a songbird of some description.

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Why don't we have more maple beers? Now, I'm sure I won't like this one as much as Whislter's Chai Maple Ale, but it looks pretty good. Super dark with an inch of cocoa-coloured head. Aroma of cocoa, and only a hint of maple. Damn, I was hoping for more.

More importantly, how does it taste? Sweet, kind of smokey, nice roasted flavours, cocoa, sweet coffee... but I'm barely picking up any maple. Still, it's an enjoyable porter. If I want a beer that tastes like maple, I guess I'll stick to Whistler. Too bad it's not available all the time.

Very smooth. Easy to drink.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Pour is a deep dark brown with red tinges. 2 fingers of a khaki colored head that drops a respectable amount of lace.

S- Roasted malt, brown sugar and molasses. The maple syrup is faint, but comes out the more it warms. Also some espresso in the mix.

T- I'd like this to be a little more robust. Follows the nose pretty good, but with some milk chocolate as well. There's some bitterness but it's got a nice clean finish.

M- A little thin for the style, but seems fitting with the milder flavors. Carbonation is low-medium, it manages to remain smooth.

O- I enjoyed this one, I'm not huge on maple syrup but it really added a nice touch.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Sap Sucker from Fernie Brewing Co.