Gemini

Notes:
Reviews: 62 | Ratings: 411 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by woodychandler:
4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

I have been doing a number of brewery-oriented horizontals as a part of the ongoing eradication of The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & by some circumstance, I have a number of Southern Tier's beers to add to my list. I have been working in fits & starts on this horizontal, having been sidelined by a massive head cold & then by my acquisition of an SN Beer Camp Around the World 12-pack. I now continue my triumphal return with this beer.

From the bottle: "Super Hopped Ale"; "Brewed with 6 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts".

I LOVE that they have reclassified this as an "American Strong Ale"! Not every beer is or deserves to be designated as an AIPA or a DIPA. Mine has over a year of age, DTD "DOB 04/01/16 06:37AM". Does that make it "bad"? Of course not! Let's see how those hops held up. Even better, let's see how it is doing as an old(er) American Strong Ale!

I Pop!ped the cap & commenced a VERY gentle pour into my awaiting glass. a vigorous in-glass swirl raised just over two fingers of dense, foamy, tawny head with good retention. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a molasses & bready maltiness, indicating that the hops had fallen away, but who cares? If it is an American Strong Ale, it can be the aging process that drives the beer & not necessarily the hops. I drink hoppy beers all the time. It is nice to try something new, as long as it is palatable. Mouthfeel was not big, not full, it was downright viscous! I nearly had to coax it out of the bottle with a spoon. Oh, now I get it. It was the old one-two punch with the bready & caramel malts gently caressing my tongue before its twin brother, a citrusy bitterness came out of hiding with a leather-encased lead sap & caught me with a rabbit punch behind the R ear at the base of my skull. That is TOTALLY illegal in boxing as it is the site of your fontanelle, the last place on your skull to harden as an infant & which NEVER fully hardens. Want to give yourself a roaring headache to get out of something? Massage that spot for a bit & see how you feel. F'in' Gemini got me right there! Good. I like a challenge. I let the pair roll around on my tongue for a little bit to tire them out. I then came wit' th' Pisces Punch, which is a R jab to the solar plexus. I don't care how buff you may be, that will tear the wind right ahttah yer sails! Once Gemini was down, I began to relax to better taste the caramel malt with a tropical fruit background. But where was the alcohol? This was as smooth as silk until I caught an unseen L hook between the eyes. Lights out, boys! I came to with smelling salts, or maybe it was an open bottle of this brute, with a start. Where was I? Oh, yeah, I was trying to review a beer when these twins showed up with a bottle of whoop ass & laid inta me like nobody's waking up tomorrow. Finish was dry as the alcohol suddenly began to assert itself in a dragon-like way with fire coming up from my belly & into my breath. Time to go. I gotta work as a heavy-machine operator!

3.76/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber into my Ommegang chalice.

A: I'm not really impressed. Pours a clear gold with about 1/2" white head that sits down pretty quick. Retention is OK, lacing is nonexistent.

S: Hoppy! Lots of piney, grassy notes with some citrus in the background. I get some caramel sweetness, too.

T: DIPA-like sweetness right out of the gate. Lemon rind & crackery malt through the mid-palate. Oily, underwhelming hop bitterness is present throughout. There's sort of a musty grapish note in there somewhere. Lacks complexity & absolutely is not the hop-punch I was expecting.

M: Light & oily, a bit syrupy, low-ish carb. Odd characteristics given the flavor profile.

O: I don't know what to make of this quite yet. The mouthfeel is strange, the hop profile is strange. Just...strange.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Golden, clear, frothy white head with nice retention

S: citrus, light sweet malts, touch of dankness

T: Similar to aroma, not a hint of alcohol, which is impressive. It really goes down smooth with a lingering bitterness.

M: Smooth, light maltiness, good carb.

O: A delicious beer, no doubt, but I'm not certain how they arrived at the price. At $20+ for a six-pack, I have to ask: "Where did the accompanying scantily clad companion go?" Seriously, this is a good beer, but I could but two moderately priced six-packs from most other brewers, or a sixer and a bomber for the same amount. Or dinner.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Bottle from my brother. Nice hop aroma leads into much deeper, robust taste. Fruity, slick, nice slippery body. Very smooth for a DIPA. Tasty and reffreshing

3.47/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Crane Room. Taste is fruity hoppy, definitely grapefruit. Medium body. As someone else wrote, it's hoppy but without the bitter bite to it..

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%

3.58/5  rDev -8%

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.19/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really a "super hopped" ale. Smells like mango. Very smooth and enjoyable. Would not know it was 9% until you had a few.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I was expecting just another hoppy DIPA ; it is quite different than other beers I have tasted from the brewery.

Poured a light copper color with a 1F head in a tulip, which is a good glass for this beer.
I served it much colder than recommended- at 43°F. At colder temps, there is an intensity which diminishes with warming.

The aroma is complex citrus, a little sweetness, and grape. There is a distinct grape aroma.

The mouth feel is very carbonated.

Taste: the aroma transitions well to the taste: complex citrus and grape, topped off by a very intense hoppy bitterness.

This is not a typical American DIPA. It has more complex fruits than other beers of the same style.
It's best to start off colder. A wide mouth glass is better for tasting- it brings out the flavor more intensely.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Gemini from Southern Tier Brewing Company