Harvest Ale | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Harvest AleHarvest Ale

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Availability: Fall

Added by John on 10-19-2003

3.9

Ratings: 1,723 |  Reviews: 601

Awesome from October until december

Very pleasant ESB, great fall seasonal

4.92/5  rDev +26.2%

Harvest. This is my favorite time of year. The northeast weather is starting to cool, leaves gaining the fall colors, football season about to begin and Southern Tier releases the Harvest Ale. This is an exceptional brew. A light golden color that surprisingly sits a bit heavy in mouthfeel. The floral hops create an amazing smell which complements this brews extraordinary taste. You can't just enjoy one, as each after the first just exponentially get better. This brew awakens taste buds that have laid dorment since last fall's Harvest. The only thing better than enjoying a Harvest is enjoying it off a tap with friends. Cheers!

4.92/5  rDev +26.2%

Poured into my Sam Adams pint glasses...

A-Looks like beer, so I assume it is.

S-HOPS!!! Oh boy, I am going to drink the sh*t out of this.

t-In a word...Fantabulously Awesome!!! I love me some hops and this one has just the right amount. Very similar to Nugget Nectar in flavor, and similarly to NN, it tastes more like an IPA than the intended style. I taste citrusy hops up front and a touch of sweetness at the end, with a subtle alcohol flavor. I reviewed another beer on here that was too thin but had good flavor so I gave it a "like it but don't love it rating" because of the mouthfeel, but this one tastes so good I love it. I was only going to have one, but this 6'er is gone.

m-Not great, too thin, but the taste more than makes up for it. You can actually swish it around and release more flavor and get little foam because it is so thin.

d-I am seriously going to drink all 6, and I am not inviting anyone over to share with. I am so sick of Marzens and Pumpkin beers at this point that this is a welcome departure for the season.

I would 100% recommend this to anyone, even non-hopheads.

4.9/5  rDev +25.6%

I think my first words were, "Oh, man that's good!" This is one crazy drinkable beer. I could easily have three without blinking. I have no idea where they get off classifying it as an ESB, because it's nothing like any ESB I've ever had. It's more like a pale ale or even IPA. The hops are so floral and citrusy- a nice hint of clementine. But there's also this sweetness that is what makes it so drinkable. It is in no way overpowering, but it's what makes it a bit harder to categorize. I'm not sure if they changed the recipe from last year, but judging by the comments, it seems a lot of people like this season's batch.

4.89/5  rDev +25.4%

I got about a finger of bone-white head with low retention from the pour. The color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow. The nose was spicy and citrusy, specifically, cinnamon and orange zest and I was put in mind of potpourri, plus my mouth started watering. The mouthfeel was medium, approaching full and I got a really tangy orange flavor in the mouth. The finish was more piney and lingeringly hoppy. Shazam! Boy, was this a good beer. I really recommend it.

4.85/5  rDev +24.4%

Crisp and clean with a robust but balanced flavor. My favorite beer of all time.

4.8/5  rDev +23.1%

bitter and hoppy with a clean and dry finish. Very enjoyable

4.77/5  rDev +22.3%

Has a nice gold color with an orange hue and a pure white head on top that stays. The smell is deliciously earthy. Lots of piney hops with a bit of citrus hidden in there. And it tastes just like it smells. That piney hop flavor is everywhere, but balanced well enough with the malt so that its not overpowering. The mouth feel is good and full, with just the right amount of carbonation. It finishes with a pleasant, bitter aftertaste that lasts. Excellent beer for the fall.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%