Old Man (Winter Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Old Man (Winter Ale)Old Man (Winter Ale)
Liked This Beer
3.67 w/ 1,576 ratings
Old Man (Winter Ale)Old Man (Winter Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company

3.67/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,576 |  Reviews: 564

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

1.8/5  rDev -51%

This is amazingly clear orange/reddish colored beer. That said head is lacking and no lace in my glass at all. Just some hints of foam around the edges.

The aroma is subtle with hints of grain and perhaps a touch of hop spice.

There is a lot of cereal grain with a finish of coy hops. There is a flavor here of an almost plastic/metallic nature I really do not like.

A bit under carbonated but acceptable for the style.

I really dislike this one. It is nearly to the point where I may just drain pour it. This isn't for me at all.

1.9/5  rDev -48.2%

Served from a bottle

Looks pretty good! Smell is a little weak however...

Taste is like the smell...I get nothing of value here. The mouthfeel is pretty good, but the lack of any flavor was a real detriment to me drinking the entire bottle.

Maybe I'll revisit this one someday, but for now I feel as if it isn't even worth drinking the rest of it....hopefully this is just a bad batch...

2.14/5  rDev -41.7%

There is no malt profile evident to this beer, as both the aroma and palate are dominated by overassertive bitter hop flavor. Perhaps if it was aged for ten years this would make for a decent old ale, but fresh it is undrinkable.

2.17/5  rDev -40.9%

Aroma is fine, but it doesn't fit the style at all. It's pretty much pilsner malt, very straw-like and mealy, which is a distance from the more robust, darker malt you get in many old ales. Taste is a little heftier but still flat & pale malt forward, which isn't bad per say, but a stretch in this style. A whimper of fusel alcohol creeps in at the end, but is also faint. There is some hops but they are bland and bitter, not really fitting the rest of the make-up. It has s stale malt flavor, dry and timid, really not much flavor at all.

2.21/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured into a snifter. The beer pours dark mahogany with a no head. Real nice color on this though. Lots of malts up front but there is kind of an off smell that I can't quite put my finger on. It's kind of fishy. It ruins it for me. Not a lot going on in this one. Slightly bitter in the end but the big malt profile I was expecting really seems to get lost in there somewhere. This really doesn't seem to have the characteristics I've come to expect in an old ale. The mouthfeel is a bit watery. Just a weak example of the style. There isn't much of a chance that I'll finish this one.

2.24/5  rDev -39%

If you're expecting a typical winter ale...malt, spice, a little bit of hop, forget it. This beer is more like a dark IPA. Bitter and with a nasty aftertaste. If you're into hops then go for it. But if you're looking for a traditional winter ale you won't find it here. A miss leading label and description from Southern Tier. Maybe they should mention the IBU's on the label.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. brown bottle that I purchased as a single at Save-On in Mentor for $1.68 two days ago into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. No observed "best by" date.

A Off white creamy head that leaves minimal lacing over a translucent and slightly dark caramel (just a bit darker than average caramel) colored body. Not really that impressive. 2.5

S Distant barley malt and very little hops in my opinion. This smells like a rather barley-centric beer but whatever it is there is not a strong smell. Again, not really that impressive. 2.5

T Dull, bitter taste of hops and much barley with a lingering, bitter aftertaste on the back of my tongue that I do not really appreciate very much. I do not like that kind of lingering bitterness. I am sure that it is consistent with the style, an Old Ale, but it is not to my liking. 2.0

M Full, big with the bitterness of the hops in front and then that lingering feeling on the back 1/3 of my tongue. I will say that the feel was much bigger than the look suggested. The feel is appropriate to the style and even though I do not necessarily like it I will not score it below average because I think that it hits the style correctly. 3.0

D Not good. I will finish the 12 ounces but not likely seek it out again. 2.0

Notes: Even though I am not a big fan of the style, this is not the best example of the style. The better ones, again in my opinion, have a heavier sweet malt profile to them.

2.39/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Old Man (Winter Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company