Old Man (Winter Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Old Man (Winter Ale)Old Man (Winter Ale)
Liked This Beer
3.67 w/ 1,576 ratings
Old Man (Winter Ale)Old Man (Winter Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company

Alströms:

Ratings: 1,576 |  Reviews: 564

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

3.78/5  rDev +3%

Purchased in a Growler from Ale Yeah, Roswell GA. Served in a snifter.

A: A light mahogany with a hint of copper. Not as dark as I would expect from some Old Ales but still in the ballpark.

S: Carries a grain scent from front to back though in the middle you pick up a little bit of the malt aroma and something a little creamy.

T: The front of the palate picks up the caramelly sweet malt flavor but definitely carries the citrusy hops on the back end and into the after taste. I find myself wanting more of that sweet raisin after taste of other old ales but keep coming back for another swig. It is a balanced beer from front to back.

M: Lighter than I expected (could be that lack of raisin) with less carbonation after the original pour. Plus it has a light oily viscosity that coats the tongue. Reminds me of Bergamot in Earl Grey tea. Might have to try some for that to make sense. The mouthfeel is ok though I would like it to be a little heavier on a cold winter's night.

O: Overall it is a pretty good beer. Would definitely poor another, oops, just did. I enjoy the way that the taste is not overly complex and changes significantly from the front to back. It may be the gravity of beers I drink but I find the alcohol tones fairly laid back though you still get a nice warming in the tummy.

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

I am pretty sure I had this before, but I wanted to try it again and review it this time. I usually am not too fond of brown ale based holiday beers, but this one isn't necessarily brown ale, is it.

Right off the bat it has a cool look to it. Pretty brown, nicely translucent and a thin head with nice lace. The aroma is not as pronounced as I would like but it's a nice hoppy smell with a bit of the malt too. The taste is of a dark bitter ale, but not overy so. The aftertaste is especially pleasant with a boozy, hoppy finish.

Unlike other Southern Tier products, I am not rushing out to get lots more of this, but it is a commendable brew that I intend to buy again.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Rich meringue-thick head sits very tightly atop a red-brown beer. Lacing already taking effect.

Rather muted nose shows off little other than bronzed malts and a semi-sweet toastiness. Flavor might turn out sweeter.

Brute bitterness from pine hops opens this beer up. The hops are a bit more detectable in the nose now as it slowly warms. It's brighter than expected and still showy with English-style malts. Aftertaste yields light tangy citrus and light booze.

Drinks very nice. Good level of carbonation conceals the booze a bit, even though the body is behind medium.

A beer I like to enjoy once or twice a season. I feel like it always throws me for a curveball.

Old Man (Winter Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company