Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Phin & Matt's Extraordinary AlePhin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by wailingwench on 10-29-2004

Liked:
3.53/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,493 |  Reviews: 622
4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

16 ounce pint - $5.50 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Presents a clear, copper-hued body capped with half an inch of white suds. Slender coating of lace on the descent.

Smell: Scent of pale malts marked with a slight toastiness and embedded with citrusy, lemony hop scents.

Taste: Opening of standard-issue pale malts with a hint of very, very lightly toasted bread character and only a slim measure of overall sweetness. Steely hop flavor, chiefly citrusy in natural, but there are also some faint floral tones teasing the palate. Medium bitterness. Finishes dry with a light, lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I found it to be well balanced in all regards, there wasn't scads of malt sweetness and there wasn't a splurge of harsh, unnecessary bitterness. It's just a straight-up good APA.

3.87/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer pours a light orange color with little head or head retention. Little carbonation or bubbles. The smell is light, a thin hop edge with some spice and a larger smelling malt base.

Glug glug glug

The flavor is mild, traditional malt taste with a tasteful amount of hops that makes me think of a SN Glissade a little bit. The hops are bitter and flowery and balanced to the malt well. Over all this is a good beer for the warmer weather and a welcome subtlety and balanced come with it. Although compared to other APA's this one is kind of lacking.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Moderately-strong, malty, grainy aroma. Notes of caramel and very light notes of an earthy hop (maybe Willamette).

Pretty clear, gold colour with a small, short lasting white head.

Something seems wrong here, almost as if the bottle is particularly old (though there is no date so I can't check). The flavour is grainy and malty with no noticeable hop flavour. Quite sweet but with a dryish finish.

Medium body with moderately-high carbonation.

It isn't a bad beer and I expect that it is designed to be much better but without a date on the bottle I have to take it at face value. The hop character they claim to have is missing and all I get is a malt bomb, without the bomb.

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. The body was clear and medium gold with an off white head.

Smell was fresh and hoppy. There was a leafy/organic aroma. A bit later I got a whiff of sour dishrag, but that faded. Damp grains. Pretty nice.

Taste was a well balanced clean bitterness and malty richness. A solid APA. This is my favorite Southern Tier beer so far.

Mouthfeel was medium body with a moderately coarse texture. I enjoy that in a APA/IPA. Thumbs up.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%

On-tap at MacGregor's in Rochester, NY

A - Nice golden pale color with a decent foamy white head, about one fingers worth

S - Smells slightly grainy with a nice floral and citrus hop presence

T&M - Slightly bready with a yeast aftertaste. Hops are present but well balanced with the malts. There is also a light sour taste on the back of the palette. Medium bodied and smooth.

D - I found myself sipping this, and I'm not quite sure why. It was very yummy, and if I had started my night off with this I could see having a few.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a clear copper color with a two finger, foamy white head. Head falls relatively slow. Decent lace.

Has a rather clean aroma with obvious hops present.

Nice sweet malts with full flowery hop background. Decent balance between the two. Bit of a metallic finish.

Thin to medium bodied. Refreshing.

Decent brew with easy drinkability.

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

On-tap at Closed for Business in Charleston, SC.

Pours a light copper color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of pale malts with good amounts of citrus and lighter amounts of leafy hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Fairly robust pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by citrus hop flavors. Midway through the sip the flavor profile makes a bitter turn with help from leafy hops. The bitterness maintains it's level through to the ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinakbility is good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I am simply whelmed by this beer, with no real feelings one way or another. I also found that the tap version was slightly hoppier than the bottle I had but not by much. Worth a shot if you see it around.

2.82/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with a one finger foamy white head. No lacing.
The aroma is very weak. Mostly malty with a hint of citrus and yeast.
Taste is very mild. Dominated by bready malt with a touch of bitterness. Leaves yeasty flavor in the mouth.
Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. Carbonation has an initial bite but smooths out quickly. Finishes dry.
Pretty boring beer in my opinion. Definitely an upgrade to Budweiser categories, but not an exciting craft brew. I wouldn't buy this again.

4.2/5  rDev +19%

I remember about four years back when I first tried all the Southern Tier brews. Initially this one impressed me a lot. It is an extremely well balanced beer and very drinkable.

I know that the initial love of the brew wore off quickly, as did the love of the other Southern Tier's, but they are still very good products, I just tired of them. They are currently selling a Pack of Pales, with 4 different pale ales. Nice gimmick, and certainly one I cannot refuse.

I have a feeling that picking the best of these four could be difficult - they will all be good.

Phin and Matt's is an extremely well prepared brew. The clarity is perfect. The head, though not exceedingly robust is consistent. The taste is good at all temperatures. And you really could drink a whole mess of these.

3.57/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

A- It is a darker yellow with orange hint. The head was white and filled to the top of the glass, but only stayed for a minute or two.

S- It is a little hoppy and a little sweet smelling, but it is a somewhat weak smell.

T- At first it taste a lot like is smells, and has a smooth hoppy finish.

M- It is crisp and a little light.

D- This is overall an average beer and is easy to drink. It is worth getting every once and a while, and it is a nice beer to use to introduce light beer drinkers to mircobrews.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a golden amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is malt and some floral hops. A little on the faint side.

T- The taste like the aroma is biscuity malt and some bitterness in the finish from the hops.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall,, nothing all that extraordinary with this one. It is a decent Pale Ale, but nothing spectacular.

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown bottle. No freshness date.

A: Pours a clear golden amber color. Nice large head, which does not last that long. With little lacing.

S: Not a very strong smell. Hops are not really there. Malts are on the sweet side with alot of grains.

T/M: Light bodied, crisp and semi-smooth. Overall taste is a little bitter. Hops are more notable in the taste than the smell. Still very grainy and sweet.

D: Good brew. Very average at the same time though. Maybe a little bitter and sweet for my liking. Worth a try.

Cheers!

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

A= pours a nice sort of half amber half orange color with a small half finger head that falls fast to a thin layer on top of the glass and leaves minimal lacing.

S= An odd mix of smells. Really sort of a darker malt smell. Not quite a roasted malt but about halfway there. Almost smells like raw grain or the smell of a wort on brewday. No hops are detected in the aroma at all.

T= Very similar to the smell. I can't quit put my finger on what it smells like. Has sort of a tea medicinal smell to it. Again sort of tastes like wort on brewday but you can taste that it has been bittered. Really sort of a nice homebrew taste to it.

M= Totally average. A nice light finish to it and a clean crisp start.

D= Pretty good beer. If it were more avalible to me I would buy it from time to time. Not bad and sort of reminds me of some of my homebrews. Not worth seeking out regularly but worth trying for sure and worth enjoying from time to time.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Thanks to the sister-in-law for this Christmas present.

Appearance: Pours a clear, light orange with a one finger thick dirty white head that doesn't stay for very long.

Smell: Slightly citrusy, but more dominated by the floral hops with a hint of malt.

Taste: Floral hops and not much else going on. I'm not getting the malt flavor as other reviewers have.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium-bodied with good carbonation. Smooth with a clean finish.

Drinkability: Not a bad little beer. Would recommend to others trying to kick their macro habit, but not something I would seek out again.

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Review from notes.

A- Pours a clear deep orange body color. One finger white head dies almost right away. No lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- This beer is very muted to me. Light citrus hops mixed with some bready malts make up the entire beer. Some light grassy notes as well. Had to bury my nose in the glass to pick up most of the aroma.

T- Flavor follows the aroma. Everything is muted and well...bland in all aspects. Light citrus hops in the front mix with a bready malts in the middle. Some light grassy notes in the tail end with a light bitter hops in the backing.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Light citrus and bready malts left on the palate with some malts in the aftertaste. Clean tasting but very light as well.

D- This beer lacked the wow factor for me. I enjoy a well crafted light ABV beer but this seems to be lacking a lot of things overall. I will revisit this one again just incase I got a old bottle. I am hoping because I like Southern Tier but...they seem to be a hit or miss with me.

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

A - A clear, copper-colored body topped with one and a half fingers of white foam. The head settles quickly and leaves a nice pattern of lace.

S - A moderate aroma of pine hops with a hint of grapefruit. Some toasted malt underneath that combines with the hops to produce a spicy cedar note.

T - Sweet, toasty malt up front with a light note of pine hops. The malt gains momentum through the middle and the pine lingers along with a rising bitterness. Finishes with more sweet, bready malt and a hint of caramel along with light pine hop flavor and modest, balancing bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable and well rounded. The hop aroma is more pungent than I would have expected with a big whiff of pine that contrasts the rich malt character nicely. The flavor is more mild with a greater emphasis on the malt, but there is still enough hop flavor and bitterness to keep the beer balanced. Nicely done.

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

I poured this from a 10 ounce bottle into a pint glass. It is a good looking orange color with a decent head.

It smells good and very hoppy.

The taste is not quite so hoppy. It is very well balanced between malt, hops, and citris.

The mouthfeel is good. It is very drinkable. I don't know if I would call it extraordinary, but I like this beer allot.

I bought this beer in a mixed 12 pack, and I look forward to drinking the other 2 bottles from the pack. I will not however, go out of my way to find more of it.

2.61/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light amber color. Moderate head, some lacing.

Smells like sweet caramel. Tastes like a malty mess, with a slight hint of bitterness. Caramel malts is about as much as I can get out of it. I'm thinking this was an old bottle.

Mouthfeel is fine, but I don't think I even want to finish this one glass. It just isn't very tasty for an APA. Not what I expected. I'll probably try another bottle next time I see one just to give it a fair shot.

3.74/5  rDev +5.9%

bottle imported to Australia from IBS
poured very pale burnt orange colour somewhat hazey, poor head retention (age?).
strong citrusy/piney hop aroma, almost resiny/sappy.
flavours of crystal malt and american aroma hops
bit thin, but good APA overall.

Poured an orangish color with a small white head. Nose is malts, hops, citrus. Taste is bready, citrus, nice malty backbone to it. Mouthfeel is sticky, light booze, sweet and coating. Reminds me of an English Pale on the mouthfeel. Very drinkable beer

3.92/5  rDev +11%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: somewhat light golden-orange hue with a touch of haze. Head is one finger of fluffy ivory foam. Not too bad.

Smell: a pleasing blend of citrus, floral and funky hops on top of a simple but solid malt base. I rather like it.

Taste: smooth, slightly biscuity malt flavor with a bite of citrus hops. The hops are a little less prevalent in the flavor than in the nose, but they are still quite nice. The overall effect is balanced and tasty.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nice level of carbonation. There's enough fizz to keep me interested.

Drinkability: this is actually quite a nice, refreshing, drinkable pale ale. Kudos.

3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

12oz bottle poured into shaker pint.

A: Surprisingly orange with a cloudy head and a very little amount of lace.

S: Very faint, hints of citrus, with a very think grassy tint. Almost unnoticeable.

T: Very light and pleasant. The hops are there--light and not overpowering at all.

M: Very light, also lightweight and pleasant.

D: Very drinkable--Does not feel like a 5.6% at all. I think this is a very sessionable beer. Not really a pale ale, but I would rather drink this than most pilsners and other beers.

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Hazy orange-yellow in color. Pours with a minimal surface coating of white head. Visibly active carbonation

S: Orange. Fruity. A little yeast. Ever so slightly sour, but not necessarily in a bad way.

T: Thin and watery. A bit of light cereal flavored malt that quickly gives way to a mild bitterness. Light yeast fruitiness.

M: Light with active carbonation.

D: I was surprised to see this one listed an APA - I would have never guessed it to be a pale ale. Light, vibrant, easily sessionable, but otherwise rather uninteresting. I suppose this one could be an everyday drinker, but I personally don't think I'll drink it ever again.

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. No date or info.

A - A vigorous pour only released a one-finger, white head with low retention but some good webbing. The beer is a beautiful clear goldenrod color.

S - The hoppy aroma is different. Seems like a bit of noble variety with some American hops too. A little spiciness and a touch of honey with a faint fruity splash. The malts seem pilsner-like and somewhat biscuity. While the nose is unique, it's not all-together interesting.

T - The flavor has a light yeasty hint to the floral hop bouquet. Light honey-drizzled biscuit with a tiny kiss of white grape.

M - Medium-bodied and smooth with a light bitterness to the finish and a low carbonation spritz.

D - The weakest Southern Tier beer I've had to date, it doesn't showcase much but it's not bad, just bland. Nothing stands out.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. This one poured a a clear, dark gold with a quickly receding white head; very little lacing.

Upon opening the bottle the aroma was slightly musty and earthy which dissipated to reveal some spicy, malty aromas. Poured into the glass, the aroma was faintly sweet and fruity.

The initial flavor is a balance of malts and subdued fruity hops. Allow this ale to warm slightly to enjoy all of the flavors. It is enjoyable it not a little bland.

Well carbonated and somewhat thin-bodied: the malty sweetness dominates on the palate with very little hop bite.

This is an enjoyable, tasty ale, but like most of the other viewers, it is not extraordinary. I nice evening ale to quaff. It does not drink like a 5.6 ABV ale.

Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale from Southern Tier Brewing Company