Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The Blackwater Imperial Stout Series is full of delicious dessert beers, with one exception: Oat, our Imperial Oatmeal Stout. Pouring black as night, with a mocha colored head, big dark flavors of molasses and bitter malts conspire to hide the high alcohol content.

Brewed with 2-row pale malt, oats, caramel malt, barley flakes, chocolate malt, black malt, Columbus and Willamette hops, this beer is chock-full of what a real imperial stout should be brewed with. We’re brewing it expressly for the turning seasons. It’s a great beer to kick back with on a cool fall evening, or cellar some away for when the snow starts to fly.

Added by John on 12-17-2004

Ratings: 1,365 |  Reviews: 679

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

A : Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a very thin tan head that disappears real quickly

S : Great aroma...roasted malts, oats, and an underlying sweetness

T : Good roasted malt flavors along with the oats. Some bitter chocolate flavor. A nice sweetness throughout the glass also

M : Full-bodied, creamy, smooth

D : Extremely easy to drink. I had no idea it was 12.5%.

4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

A -very black with very little tan/khaki head

S-dark chocolate, licorice.. oats, molasses.. coffee

T- dark chocolate yet light and creamy..licorice.. oats.. coffee notes.. strong and bold

M- medium thick body, not very carbonated, initial sweetness.. slightly bitter finnish.. hard to telk this one is 11% abv

O- a pleasant stout, must have.. gotta try! i recommend this beer!

4.9/5  rDev +20.1%

Beautiful inch thick head on the pour from this imperial stout, and the was pour very thick (what's better?) and left a nice lacey tan head after it settled. Smell was very good, a ton of aromas with chocolate and carmel dominating. Taste was amazing, a lot of things going on in my mouth. Very full bodied with dark chocolately malt taste with a hint of molasses. Minor tones of alcohol in the backround. This stout finished clean and I thought I could sense some hoppy undertones at the end, but now that I'm halfway done with a pint I'm not tasting it anymore. This is everything I think an imperial stout should be. Exceptional beer and I recommend it and will definetely drink again. I can't wait.

4.89/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Served from a growler. (Charleston Beer Exchange)

A: Very dark, basically black with a light brown head that dissipates quickly.

S: Smells sweet, like chocolate I did not find the aroma too complex.

M: Slightly viscous and creamy its just what to expect while drinking an imperial stout.

T: Amazing! This has to be one of my favorite stouts. It starts with sweet chocolate, dark chocolate, slight coffee taste and perhaps a touch of caramel. With being 11% abv, they did a good job with masking the alcohol, you can tell its there but just a hint on the back end. Also the oats adds its own dimension, I'd say it contribute mostly to the creaminess to this brew.

Overall: I gave it a 5 mostly due to the fact that since having the beer I believe this is how stouts should be made in the past I have had (hoppier stouts) while they are good too, this Southern Tier Oat Stout changes the perspective. The chocolate and creamy/sweetness made for a real treat I will be buying this again.

4.89/5  rDev +19.9%

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways.

Almost a completely jet black fills the glass that no light could ever penetrate...very small off white head disappears way too quickly. A tease to the alcohol inside.

Aromas are chocolate...dark chocolate...sweet dark chocolate...coffee...espresso...touch of hops and alcohol.

Taste is as it smells....but more so. The sweet dark chocolate is so intense it is decadent and sinful...the espresso is just enough to balance the chocolate, and the alcohol at the end reminds you this is one very potent and substantial dessert.

Mouthfeel is as creamy and smooth as a dessert should be.

Everything about this beer is...
...decadent, sinful, and worth the price of the sin.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm pretty new to the craft beer world. So as I was grabbing some Creme Brulee out of the cooler at my local pub, I also saw something called "oat". Cool, I've had some oatmeal stouts I've liked. And Southern Tier makes some other fantastic stuff, lets give this a try.... Bottle date is 9-19-2012. So I'm assuming this stuff is good for a few years.

Look: Not much head, may be due to it's 11% ABV. The little head you do get qucikly disappears and you're left with a very dark liquid. A little brownish red around the edges. Takes some aggressive swirling to make a head reappear only to leave as soon as it gets there.

Smell: Oats, alcohol, coffee, chocolate. Very "imperial stout" - ish. Maybe because it is one. Very sweet aroma.

Taste: I don't get much oatmeal taste. The first thing I notice is the alcohol, with an aftertaste of mainly coffee, but a little bit of hops. I really like the beer due to it's coffee aftertaste and the alcohol being up front. It has a very sweet overall taste to it, and the only way I can describe it is that it tastes like a good imperial stout.

Feel: Creamy, full bodied for sure. One of the thicker, creamier beers I've had.

Overall: I've heard talk that this beer is going to be retired. And that's a shame. I hope this isn't true. It, along with Creme Brulee, are some of my favorites from the Blackwater Series. I have yet to try Mokah which I'm looking forward to. But "oat" is great. Of all the oatmeal stouts I've had, it's number 1.

4.87/5  rDev +19.4%

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. This is a huge hit for me: as far as my palate goes this hits exactly the right mix for this style - it's sumptuous to drink, has a fantastic bitter chocolate middle taste and a lovely burnt long-lasting aftertaste. The alcohol warmth comes in at the end - very well apportioned. It's really full on the mouthfeel - and it doesn't hit you as overly sugary - a preference for me.
Great stuff - got it in NJ for $10 650ml - I will get a case plus of this no problem at all.
Let third of the bottle sit in the fridge overnight - not much changed, and still a real pleasure to drink.
Way to go southern tier.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance - pours a deep cola color, no light is getting through this one. A thin mocha layer of bubbles above leaves a few dots of lace, but holds a solid collar.

Aroma - big aromas of roasted grain and coffee, and bittersweet cocoa powder. Rich but not necessarily intense and heavy. Good resilience as the beer sets up.

Taste - huge roasted grain opening, a lucious mouthful of espresso and dark chocolate. Some light char on the swallow enhances the black malts further. The aftertaste is like a shot of straight espresso. Finishes with a smoldering abv warmth and an enticing blend of the roasty grain, chocolate, and rich coffee flavors.

Mouthfeel - velvety smooth, restrained carbonation, and a big body. Complements the flavors perfectly.

Drinkability - for an 11% brew, this is unbelievably drinkable. Fresh, it is phenomenal; aged - we'll see, but not anytime soon. A fine beer to toast the Steelers in their Superbowl XLIII win. Well done guys.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

A- Poured pretty hard and got a slow rising mocha head about 1" thick laying on top of a pitch black body.
S- I was expecting the oatmeal to be pretty much hidden in this but the oatmeal comes through nice and strong with a ton of chocolate. Light roasted aroma but it's mostly just a ton of chocolate with a ton of oatmeal. I can't even imagine how much oatmeal they would of had to put in this to make it come through in such a strong beer. Alcohol also tickles the nose just a little along with some grass hops.
T- Woah! Each sip is just amazing. A crap load of chocolate blended with a ton of oats. Grass hops manage to make their way through and give a medium bitterness on tongue along with lingering chocolate and the newly arrived coffee. The alcohol slowly builds up and eventually heats up the throat but does so in a calming and soothing way. Hints of caramel sweetness manage to peak its head out.
M-Just a perfect mouthfeel for this brew. Thick, chewy, creamy, and smooth. Just one of those ones you want to chew on going down.
D- This has made it to one of my favorite beers out there. The only flaw I can see in it (for my taste) is the bit of coffee in the aftertaste. If this was bourbon barrel aged I doubt you could find a beer as good as this one.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

A - Poured a deep black that produced a brown head that retained well and laced the glass nicely

S - Smells like oatmeal, but since I eat it every morning (literally), it might be dominating my sense

T - Like sitting down for breakfast for coffee and oatmeal, but then pouring the coffee in the oatmeal, stirring, and then eating. If that really clears it up, but what can I say, I enjoy both

M - Thick, in the way it sticks to your throat on the way down, with little carbonation

D - Possibly my favorite oatmeal stout, which is why it gets the 5 for taste

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

The pour is absolutely black with a thin caramel head. The smell is of rich dark chocolate, hickory, and a small hint of dark fruit at the end.
Now to taste. Rich, dry chocolate covers the palate, followed by smoky burnt malt, with a similar bite to scotch ales. If you can stay with me, the mouth feel is very ashy, and has some pleasant bitterness. The alcohol sticks around, but isn't anything too powerful. Sum it up with dried fruit and an unbelievable light clean finish and you have yourself one of the best new imperial stouts I've had the pleasure of consuming. Seems the southern tier is getting raised higher and higher.

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company