Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)
Liked This Beer
4.1 w/ 1,366 ratings
Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The Blackwater Imperial Stout Series is full of delicious dessert beers, with one exception: Oat, our Imperial Oatmeal Stout. Pouring black as night, with a mocha colored head, big dark flavors of molasses and bitter malts conspire to hide the high alcohol content.

Brewed with 2-row pale malt, oats, caramel malt, barley flakes, chocolate malt, black malt, Columbus and Willamette hops, this beer is chock-full of what a real imperial stout should be brewed with. We’re brewing it expressly for the turning seasons. It’s a great beer to kick back with on a cool fall evening, or cellar some away for when the snow starts to fly.

Added by John on 12-17-2004

Liked:
4.1/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,366 |  Reviews: 680
3.57/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter, the appearance was a stiff murky dark brown close to black color. A finger's worth of eggshell white foamy head sat atop and slid off gently. Nice foamy sort of ring around the glass.
The aroma had a ton of roastiness up front, pretty bold and facing off with some coffee grounds and then some ash/char pulling in the dryness.
The flavor was pretty damn roasty creating an impressional imbalance of this roastiness and coffee grounds. Aftertaste was the same.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a slight sipping quality about it. Carbonation felt fine. ABV felt appropriate. Finish was grinding with the imbalance of the roasty coffee grounds.
Overall, the flavor was the best thing about this and most of it, I didn't mind for me but the more I thought about it, the more I thought - where in the hell are the "oats?" The oats are supposed to smooth it all out - I missed that memo.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

4.49/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.46/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Black and brown, how about that for an imperial stout. Aroma was alcohol, and then some roast.

Taste again was dominated by alcohol and roast. C'mon man, gimme some oats to smooth this beast out. Dark fruit kinds of bitterness permeate the palate. Unless we're talking Choklat or Creme Brulee, these stouts like Oat and Jahva just fall flat for me. Bomber format sucks for cost per oz.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 10/2011 rated as a non flavored or barreled RIS or double stout. Yes I like BCBS, but I try to keep my expectations in line. This is not a " super stout" or extreme anything, it's a good RIS and weighs in at 10.6 ABV

Have waited this long to review because I had a bad experience 12/31/11 with 2 other bottles of this and , well... I had a bad experience, yack.

Opened today the last of 3 that I bought in 2011 to find fine carbonation and beautiful smell and mouthfeel. A bit of oxidation in faint " wet paper" flavors but it is 4 years old.

It was and is, a great beer. My over indulgence on New Years was not the beer's fault. I return 4 years later to humbly say "cheers".

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I generally find that Southern Tier beers never lack in flavor, and I generally like what I have had from them. My bottle may have been an older bottle from my collection,and I suspect it was at least 2 years old. Pours a nice very dark brown, not much on the nose. I got some oatmeal initially but didn't get it throughout my share of the bottle. I got a fair amount of soy sauce, which I attribute to the age of the bottle. I may try again on draft, as I likely allowed this one to hang around too long.

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.47/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great label!!!
Tastes almost as good as the label

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

4.55/5  rDev +11%

3.04/5  rDev -25.9%

Thin and oily. Heavy on the bitter

Oat (Imperial Oatmeal Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company