Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John on 02-24-2006

Ratings: 3,072 |  Reviews: 1,224
4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a magnificent polished copper-amber, with a good inch of white foam that falls to coat the surface of the beer, while leaving some lacing. The head sticks around forever, while the smell overflows from my glass….

…and socks my nose with a one-two punch of fresh pine and citrus hops! The aroma in this beer is nothing short of sublime, a perfect blend of juicy grapefruit and rich toasted grains dripping with sugar and spruce notes. Even at 11%, the alcohol is subdued (somehow) and the luscious hops spring out of the glass, lively and vibrant. This is one of the best smelling DIPAs I’ve ever had the pleasure to drink. I can’t adequately describe it; you’ve just got to drink it for yourself.

The flavor doesn’t disappoint either, Unearthly is a superb example of the double IPA style. It’s bitter and strong, and the hops are certainly the star of the show, but it’s extremely well balanced with lots of sweet malt that is neither cloying nor syrupy. The sweetness isn’t enough to stop you from drinking a lot of this, nor does it leave much of a calling card via aftertaste. One gets the impression that this beer was crafted over many batches, till the brewers were perfectly happy with the result.

The carbonation is flawless, and the mouthfeel is smooth without being syrupy or sticky. Unearthly is warming, it really hits my throat on the way down. Finishes damp and juicy with lots of grapefruit / citrus notes and a toasty brown sugar flavor that teases. The hop-sweet honey aftertaste finish is long and warm and comforting. I want some more!

It’s been a while since I’ve had an Unearthly, but thanks to Khiasmus. I’ve been able to try this again. I’d forgotten just how good this beer is. Massive respect to Southern Tier, achieving something like this isn’t simple, nor is it common. If you like trying Double IPAs, this should be near the top of your list. Unearthly is fantastic.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

A--Deep amber color with a finger of head using a standard pour into a pint glass, OK lacing left behind

S--Citrus and floral hops with a strong malty backbone. Grapefruit, apple peels, caramel, pears. Not a huge smell but still very good.

T--Piney hops, lots of maltiness, caramel, an odd sweet flavor that I can't identify, good bitterness levels. I'm not really too impressed with the taste here. That sweetness that I can't seem to identify is really distracting and takes away from the other flavors present.

M--Standard for a DIPA

D--A bomber of this was just too much. I could drink a pint for sure, but beyond that it becomes a chore.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a very clear, dark amber with incredibly bright higlights of gold. Very little head -- just a collar. The nose is very minty, but the hops are joined by a barleywine-esque graham crackery, sweet malt note. The nose reminds me of Anchor Old Foghorn. On the palate, brisk carbonation and fruity, juicy sweetness crop up first, before being matched by minty hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is marked by big carbonation, big alcoholic burn and an almost cloying maltiness. Overall, this is a good double IPA. Not my favorite style, but good considering the competition.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Into a wide bodied flute, pours a rich amber, clear and with small strings bubbling from below, a nice bone white head on top that settles to a good coating, and a bit of lacing too.

The aroma reminds me of the fruits I was eating for breakfast just a few long months ago in Jamaica, pineapple, mellon, lime, mango, orange,

I don't know if my palate has simply been crushed from the number of huge beers I've had lately, but an IIPA of 11% and a mountain of hops should overpower me, should send me whimpering. Better, I'm sitting in bliss. I don't have to fear this beer, for its a thing of beauty. All the notes from the nose carry over beautifully, with a bit more malty sweetness, juicy and delicious. Its very nice. And of course, immensely hoppy. Delicious. (in fact, my subconscious id makes me buy this beer whenever I see it, whether I have some in my fridge or not)(translation, its beauty haunts my dreams)

The mouth is smooth, soft, full, and creamy, faint carbonation, and the slightest bit of warmth is all you'll notice from the 11% ABV. Its a sipper, but one you'll be able to sip for more than one bottle. A superbly crafted beer, wonderful to drink. Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for supplying me with this.

3.37/5  rDev -17.2%

Presentation: Nice labeled 22oz brown pop top...no freshness date found

Appearance: Dark gold/burnt orange beer with a cream colored cap of large bubbles

Smell: Quite bright; there are grapefruit and orange rind hops, and just strong citrusy notes in general balanced by big caramel aromas

Taste: Big dose of earthy hops, notes of citrus, toasted biscuit as well...there's not a lot of complexity to this, and it's honestly a bit over-the-top and rough for me

Mouthfeel: Medium/heavy and obviously alcoholic

Drinkability: Medium

Conclusion: This is a bit brash for me...interesting, but nothing real special; a buddy and I split this bomber as our nightcap after an evening of tasting...1 bottle for two was definitely enough

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

This has been aging for around 6 months. It was really blasting with hops fresh so I'm excited to see how this slightly aged version is.

I love when Imperial IPA's have a nice red body like this one. It was topped with a thin white head initially but it fell leaving only a single layer of bubbles on the surface. There is visible carbonation rising off the DFH snifter.

I barely even need to get my nose near the glass to smell the aroma coming off of this one. It is sweet and caramelly with piney and with a bit of citrus. I was expecting more citrus but this is slightly aged.

This is an interesting taste all around. It has a good malty base and decent bitterness from the hops but the flavor is almost totally missing. This is a lot different than the fresh version.

This beer is nice and thick just like a DIPA should be.

The aged version is good but the fresh version is better.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%

served from a 650mL bottle into a new 2009 Boulevard Smokestack Series goblet

Pours a pleasing shade of darkened tangerine. The head, on this pour anyway, was pretty low. (Was my glass not clean enough?)

Grassy hops, lemongrass, caramel malt, some biscuit. It is hard to distinguish specific aromas as they all blend in together quite seamlessly.

Wow, the malt hits the tongue first and stays. This is very malty, which surprises me. Not nearly as much grapefruit as I thought there was going to be given the hops used. Faint bitterness on the tongue. It's hoppy, sure, but not overly so. Actually, its not hoppy enough for my tastes. Unearthly manages to be restrained somewhow; it must the the huge, sweet malts. Some lemon and honey come out of the hops and round out the flavors. The alcohol does make itself noticed, too.

Not much carbonation, which leads to this beer being almost syrupy. Any more chewiness and this beer would have been too sweet; as is, the feel is still good. Its 11% ABV, and I'm starting to feel it as finish the bomber.

This is another Imperial IPA that I find to be too balanced for my liking. Its a very good beer,and my ratings reflect that. I just want a double IPA that is more bitter, drying, hoppy and less malty/sweet. Can I get some CA DIPAs, please?

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Nose is moderately hoppy - floral, fruity, and perfumy. Chocolate malt and citric notes.

Pours a medium gold with good clarity, moderate head with pretty good retention for 11%.

First sip brings sweetness, maltiness, fruity hops (V8-like), and a mouthful of bitterness. Doesn't at all taste like 11%. Pretty tame hop profile despite the over-bearing V8 fruit/vegitable flavor. Good tartness. Very dry with mild bitter/grassy hop tannin powderiness.Pretty sweet (mild-to-moderate). Mild grainy clean malt flavor, mostly dimensionless, Almost sticky sweet like fruit juice. There is indeed a lot of malt in here. Too much residual sugar for me.

Moderately-thick-to-thick body, mild carbonation. Sinister.

Not my favorite. Okay sipped, but in general it is way too sweet and just not hoppy enough.

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

The carbonation was a bit screwed up, but oh well. Smell is sticky and honey sweet (exactly what I expect after having the oak-aged). The smell also holds a bit of spicy hops as well. The taste like has a very odd hop flavor. Its like a spicy, herbal, almost peppery feeling. The only other place Ive seen it is a local brewery (Carolina Brewery Firecracker Pale). The malt is much mroe subdued than I expected (in a very good way).

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.15/5  rDev +2%

11/2/2006 $4.99 22 oz. 11.00% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy medium brown highlighted with orange, and topped by an inch of tight white head that settles slowly lacing the glass nicely.

Aroma:

Bursting with jammy grapefruit aroma, intensely focused and potent with a mildly sweet malt backbone.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

153 IBU's according to the bottle, this is surprisingly well balanced, and not as hoppy as I was expecting. Nicely sweet with bitter grapefruit overtones. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, and somehow the 11% ABV is entirely masked. This goes down easy, which is frightening, considering how potent this beer is.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

22 oz bomber.

11% abv & 153 ibus....uhm, yikes.

Burnt, clear amber color...sticky lace sitting on top. Carbonation seems to struggle to get to the surface.

Bold hop aromas of grapefruit, oranges, and fresh pine needles. The citrus comes through as well as any DIPA out there, and really makes this beer stand out from the crowd.

and the taste...ok, now i see what all the hype is about...this is fantastic. Grapefruit & citrus lead the charge, with a heavy caramel malt backing them up. Dry hopped with Cascade, Centennial, and Chinhook...God bless them. You can taste the fresh hops, but the bitterness manages to come across without making the beer too rough to handle. Slightly syrupy, but very creamy and smooth all the way down.

Mouthfeel is perfect. It somehow carries this beastly brew to each tastebud while staying crisp & ultra smooth.

Almost a perfectly constructed Imperial IPA in my book, and a new favorite of mine. Right up there with Dreadnaught.

Got one bottle from wcudwight & one from MrBURTON55 (and I'm not sure which one I'm drinking, I'm just damn glad I've got another one left!) Thanks to you both!

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

New 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a very clear golden amber with a thick 1 finger white head. Leaves a little bit of lacing on the sides.

S: Blooming hop aroma with earthy and floral tones. Very sweet malty backbone. Slight alcohol notes.

T: Less hop-dominant than I would have expected. A sweet malty presence with an earthy hop backing. One of the least hoppy double IPA's i've had but still a very good one. I like how most of the hops appear on the back-end.

M: Thick and syrupy mouthfeel, on the low end of carbonation. Has a little bit of that nectar feel. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Overall always been a favorite of mine. I think the 12oz bottle is more appropriate as this is a doozey to drink more of.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company