Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)
Liked This Beer
4.07 w/ 3,075 ratings
Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company

4.07/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,075 |  Reviews: 1,225

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

The bottle was shared on a somber ocassion with a fellow drinker. Poured into a pint glass, the beer gave a half inch white head over the copper body of the beer. The hoppy aroma was immediately apparent. This led nicely into the initial tastes of peach, grapefruit, and pineapple. This was the first IPA I have had with a strong peach presence, so it was a unique experience for me. These flavors continued into the aftertaste which included a warm hoppy finale.

I was very pleased with this beer, particularly since I found the bottle for $4.99. It delivered a complex and flavorful IPA.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Surprised I have'nt tried this before.

A-Pours amber. Head is smaller. A bare-bones layer of off-white bubbles. Does lace well.

S-Malty before hoppy. Citrus and pine do show up in the nose but this is balanced, if not leaning more towards the malty side. Alcohol slightly noticeable.

T-Akin to the nose. Malty DIPA. Not my style. Has some hop but not enough. Sweet, caramel glazed doughnuts. Citrus does combine well with the malt bill, but it definitely is not hoppy enough for my taste. Boozy.

M-Syrupy. Medium carbonation. Kinda sticks to the tongue. Alcohol combines with the sweetness.

O/D-I now see why I have subconsciously avoided this beer (I knew it was a sweet-sided DIPA). Not really a fan here. I think I enjoyed the Oak-Aged version better because it worked well with the beers sweet tendencies. I will take any DIPA that at least tries to be hop forward before I take this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

Poured a light, translucent amber that appeared to be totally filtered. Produced a very miniscule layer of foam that retreated to an inconsistent lace ring around the glass. The smells are of slight piney hop, botterscotch, heavy malt, earth. The tastes are nice and bitter with with a hop and malt mix. It tastes every bit of the 9.50% abv. Not overly boozy, but very evident. Looking at my notes from the Oak version I tried several months back, I believe I like this one better. Worth a try.

Enjoy!

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Unearthly is clear, bright copper with streaming carbonation and a thin, ivory head. The head is actually a cross between rocky and creamy, leaving fine lace in rings with each sip.

Pungent orange and grapefruit lean toward sweet, while malts linger in the background. The overall aroma profile may be simple, but it is quite clean.

As anticipated from a DIPA, bitterness is pronounced but not enamel-peeling. While malts are present, the hops are the primary player with lots of pine and sharp grapefruit. The finish is lingering with citrus flavors.

A medium body with light texture, the alcohol is controlled. Carbonation is soft and cleansing.

While it is nice to drink this with dinner, it is better in a Dogfish Head snifter while relaxing on a warm night on the deck.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

On draft at Rattle'n'Hum.

Surprisingly dark amber pour, plenty of red hues for added personality. Fresh pine & hop character greet my nose, with hearty malts just behind.

Sweet caramel malts blend nicely with the hops. Creamy body. Refreshingly clean, yet still retains its hoppy sharpness. Very strong, slightly sweet malt backbone -- which is how I like my DIPAs -- that finishes equally sweet and bitter. Odd, yes, but I like this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

4.07/5  rDev 0%

Bomber poured into pint glass. Couldn't find a bottle date.

A: Hazy light amber with a pretty thick white head. It recedes to one finger and leaves heavy lacing.

S: Smell is heavy pine hop oil, strong, strong malt, and a touch of tropical fruit.

T: This one is really complex. I get a bit of the strong pine hop oil and the super-sweet caramel malt at the beginning, then I get a wheat twang, lemon zest, grapefruit and orange rind. Ends slightly bitter and sweet.

M: Really thick and full. I think it's fairly appropriate for the really strong, intense taste. Not too easy to finish the entire bomber solo, though.

O: Is it possible for a beer to be both a hop bomb AND a malt bomb? Balance is key with this one. Even though it's super intense, it pulls in both directions evenly and sort of works out. It's tough to finish a bomber, though, because of the thick mouth and strong taste.

Great DIPA for the price, though. Just have someone to share it with.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company