Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John on 02-24-2006

Ratings: 3,074 |  Reviews: 1,224
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

IPA Day 2013 beer for me. Bottle date of 5/20/13 and enjoyed on 8/1/13. Pours from the bottle copper, clear, and with a big fluffy aromatic head. Aroma of big grapefruit and some sweet malts, then more grapefruit. Flavor has a huge malt backbone but with plenty of bitter from the hops. Very sweet and very much on style. Slick mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. Pretty solid and much better than the Oakes version. Wondering if the hops had more power when this was bottled 2.5 months ago, but overall plenty of bite still there.

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

4.49/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had just finished a really sweaty workout, and parched as I was, I sought out this DIPA that I had never tried before. Drank in a snifter, just a little above fridge temperature.

It's a pure, transparent gold color. I would say "unearthly" in its clarity. A two-finger dirty white head.

As I live much closer to the West coast than the East, this is the first "East coast IPA" I've had, and I could already distinguish a different character as I took in the aroma. It smells like honey and sweet bread. Tropical fruits, too. A sweeter and juicier scent than the astringent pine smell of a lot of other DIPAs I've had.

The flavor also follows a slightly different blueprint than I'm accustomed to. It's brimming with hop flavor and refrshing fruitiness... citrus... and maybe some mango. Wonderful spicy hops in the finish. The thing that's kind of new to me is that it doesn't bombard me with the bitterness I love oh so much in a DIPA. However, though the bitterness is moderate, hoppiness is still high. So it's different to me, but by NO means in a bad way.

The feel is... seamless. Perfect, really. One of the smoothest DIPAs, or beers of any style, that I've ever had.

Mmmmhmm. Those Easterners do their own thing, and I think Unearhtly gave me a real nice taste of that thing.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Quick stop in Chicago for the day and Raul needed a brew to ease the aches and pains - and let Raul tell you: Unearthly did just that.

Piney and resinous like a Ludacris tour bus, this thang pops well and it pops hard. Like Phelps diving into a pool for a gold - all kinds of smooth.

Yep!

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a really beautiful orange color, pretty clear, but with a little haze. Nice head. A very fine looking beer!
The smell is a real mix of hops, yeast and malt, not quite what I'd expect from a DIPA. The taste is also more balanced that one might expect. It's nice, but just too boozy for me. Mouthfeel was great. Overall, a nice beer if you like your DIPA's really strong and not all that hoppy...almost more of a strong ale. If you're checking out Southern Tier and like IPA's I'd stick with the 2x or the regular IPA.

4.79/5  rDev +17.7%