Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John on 02-24-2006

Reviews: 1,218 | Ratings: 3,047
3.77/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours up good amount of head which has okay retention. The head is off-white with hints of yellow while the body is a pale to medium amber which appears as a pale amber when held up to the light. Spots of lacing then a sliver of sheeting around the surface of the beer. Lots of lacing after a while.

Nose- Nice but doesn't have much complexity or presence. Citrus (mostly orange) with some pine hanging around the edges. The glass shows a good amount of caramel which fades and shows more of the orange from the bottle. Swirling shows more of the caramel.

Taste- Starts off with citrus while pine, resin, and matchstick flirt around the edges. Slight note of lollipop or lemon or both- kind of like a Jolly Rancher. This fades quickly to show a huge amount of woody bitterness- the pine, resin, and matchstick show up big here. This, however, is contained by a large amount of pepper on the finish. I don't think I've ever tasted this much pepper in any beer before- even beers brewed with pepper. Very spicy hop finish. Some caramel on the front which is quickly overtaken by the wood and gives it taste of burnt caramel. A good IIPA just not the type that I like. I do appreciate that the hop bitterness is manageable and has no real linger.
Caramel (mixed with the lollipop, almost lemon drop flavor) starts to show up on the back end and give this beer more complexity. Above average to good beer. I'm leaning more toward good because the citrus, caramel, and pepper really give a lot of depth to what could just be another bitter IPA.

Mouthfeel- Between light and medium bodied with a bit of syrup to the texture. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability- Pretty easygoing for what I thought, at first, was going to be a pretty hoppy beer. No sign of the 9.5% and at a little over 6 bucks for a bomber at Grocery Outlet, a pretty good price as well. However, I'd rather pay for Sucks this time of year.

Overall- Above average to good but mostly good. A very serviceable IIPA- there's nothing special about it but I would give it a try.

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - crystal clear pale yellow body with three fingers of white head. Great retention and lacing.

S - big citrus and some malty sweetness

T - Solidly bitter citrus hops with a nice earthy malt underneath. Good bit of alcohol but not overly strong considering the abv.

M - Medium/light with moderate carbonation. A bit thin and watery as I find tends to be the case with Southern Tier.

O - This hits all my favorite features of a strong American IPA. It's very citrus and bitter, malts are low and earthy, and it has a high abv. However, I find everything from Southern Tier to be watery. The only reason I like this is that the flavors are strong enough to compensate for the weak body. The 2XIPA for example just doesn't have enough flavor to get passed the wateriness.
So I may buy this again, but it's a tough sell when I can pick up a Ruination or the Green Flash Imperial IPA, or even better, that Green Flash Green Bullet (and I have no idea why people are knocking the Green Bullet. Massively underrated IMO!)

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Southern Tier Brewing Company - Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale), poured into a DFH Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Pours a clear filtered amber with a huge soapy head that retains well. Tons of lacing.

Smell - Piney and resiny hops over a slight malt body with a touch of alcohol.

Taste - Malt intro pushed out of the way by spice and pine. Interesting flavor, I give it good marks for flavor.

Mouthfeel - Warm, spicy, and boozy. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Decent drinkability. The brew falls flat a bit here but not horrible.

Overall - Unique spice in this DIPA (more of a TIPA if you ask me) but not an outstanding brew overall. Not really my bag, baby.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Clear, copper color with one finger of head that fades with a curtain of lace.

Aroma: Sweet caramel malt over muted piney hops with some medicinal notes.

Taste: Creamy malt sweetness, then lots of spicy booze. There's bitterness towards the back end, but not a lot of depth of flavor - it's more of a metallic bitterness. Also some woodiness towards the finish which is lingering and hot with booze.

The Rest: Not a bad sipping beer, but a bit hot and rough. Stick with the 2XIPA, it has much better balance.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- a hazy orange copper. Big foamy eggshell head has great retention and leaves big lacing. Carbonation slowly trickles up.

S- big pine buttressed with caramel/malt

T- the taste closely mirrors the aroma but there is a wonderful balance between the two and neither overwhelms the other

M- pleasing fullness and quite smooth. A slight bite from hops on the finish

O- a delicious big flavored and well balanced IIPA.

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle, DOB 07/01/13.

Huge head, hazy honey gold body, couple of rings left behind, aroma of sweet smelling hops. Very sweet and sticky in the flavor, biscuity, sweet pine in the finish, Bitterness is felt more in the aftertaste. Very nice stuff.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 8/24/13

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Brooklyn snifter at home

A- Cloudy when first poured cold but the haze subsided for the most part. It clears up nicely to reveal a beautiful amber color. No lacing whatsoever

S- when cold I was getting a soapiness on the nose, it was a bit off putting. As it warmed up I started to get a lot of the malt sweetness on the nose. Just a bit of hops on the nose. I was really expecting more from the hops from an American imperial IPA.

T- I found the hops, must have been some early additions because the bitterness is there but i wish there was more in the nose. I do get some pine on the tongue and a lot of the malt and sweetness. It does cover up the alcohol well.

M- Not as chewie as some big IPAs I've had. I wish the carbonation lasted a bit longer.

O- not a bad beer but definitely not my favorite imperial IPA. Nice balance with the malt but I need more hops on the nose to score his higher. I can't blame it on age, it's less that 2 months old

Pours a lite amber/copper color with a big off white head. Hops, light citrus, sweet malts on the nose. I love the sweet beers and this one hits the spot with malt sugary sweetened to balance the wonderful hops. The 9.5% ABV is there but not overpowering but is warming as it goes down. I really like this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-dark gold color with a small head that still laced the glass
S- floral and hops
T-hops with a hops aftertaste that warms then turns dry
M- medium carbonation and medium body
O-great way to start the saturday football day out. Bought a 12 pack of Southern Tier varity looking foward to to next one

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle with no freshness date.

I decidedly poured Unearthly into a pint glass. I didn't get much of a head, at all, disappointingly so. Orange-amber for a color with some haziness. Not the prettiest beer, after all.

Even the non-oak-aged version has a woodiness to the nose from big dry hop bitterness. Big dank notes of orange and red grapefruit and pine with efficiency considering a hefty malt backbone of caramel and toast and hints of brown sugar. Resinous citrus steals the show; no subtleties of grassiness or floral notes. Just big thick slices of familiar hop fruit.

Stinging booze, beefy caramel, and dank orange-y citrus. Notes of grapefruit and pine are also very prominent. It has a hoppy juiciness that I like, but it's still pretty malty sweet. Tastes not unlike many American barleywines that I have had, but just beefed-up. Toastiness isn't huge, but it's obvious. There's a note of dried apricot, too. Booze is pretty big, from the top. You can tell that it intends to be big all the way through.

A little tacky from the residual sweetness. The booze is happy strong, too. Relatively appropriate, considering the style, and Unearthly's take on it. Still, it compromises drinkability. The body has some oiliness in the way that it exceeds the standard for heft. A decent drink.

A beastly DIPA, but I prefer 2XIPA from Southern Tier. To each their own, I suppose.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I’ve wanted to try this for a while now, but the lack of a bottle date made me uneasy. I’ve been told this should be fresh, though, so I decided to finally spend the money. Cheers!

A: Crystal-clear copper body under an offwhite head; the cream stands at an inch before dropping to nothing. Small amount of lacing around the glass’ interior.

S: The typical DIPA smack of caramel and pine sap indicate that this is a dense, sugary beer. Additional undertones of grape jam, maraschino cherry, butterscotch, and shredded wheat cereal.

T: Smoothly sweet with dominant tastes consisting of marshmallow, cream cheese frosting, and caramel. Hops aren’t as forward as expected; unable to pierce the veil of residual sugars, they provide only a spattering of pepper, lemon-lime, and grapefruit tastes. The finish is quite syrupy, but with a fruity hint of grape.

M: The best part about this beer is its soft and foamy texture, its heavy body that’s nonetheless creamy and largely inoffensive. Alcohol is well hidden, too, even though the carbonation is quite light.

O: This is a quintessential American DIPA; you can tell that the hop and malt bills were tweaked by true craftsmen to create a bold, balanced experience. I’ll admit that it’s a little too sweet for me to finish an entire bottle on my own, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s quite tasty overall.

3.52/5  rDev -13.5%

On-tap into a tulip.

Appearance
Rusty amber with 1 finger of off-white head. Good retention and decent clarity.

Nose
Fruity Pebbles, pine, lemon and caramel.

Taste
Fruity Pebbles, lemon pith and pine needles. Notes of grapefruit and orange zest. Rich caramel malts with notes of toffee.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, slick and sticky.

Overall
It's a decent DIPA. Pretty heavy on the maltiness. Nothing to go out of your way for.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a slightly hazy deep copper with a frothy cream head that lingers.

Resin, pine, rich caramel, toasted malt, and muted citrus form the initial aroma. Seems fairly sweet.

Underpinnings of grapefruit and muted tangerine start the flavor profile, with sweet caramel malt, tobacco, and toasted breadcrust taking over mid palate, and resin and pine rounding out into the lightly bitter, dry finish.

Body is moderate to full, with slightly low carbonation, and noticeable alcohol warmth.

Fairly sweet at first, almost cloying, and more balanced than most. Not overly bitter, which suits my palate. Hop complexity is somewhat lacking.

1.64/5  rDev -59.7%

this beer is f'ing gross. it tastes like licorice or something. just a little to unearthly for this dirt dweller. sorta just weird flavors all around. maybe I got a bad growler? oh well, try it once if you're curious it's affordable and fairly easy to find. about try their double IPA, hope it's better.

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

Turbulent pour produced a long-lasting, solid three-finger creamy head. Translucent and bubbly amber IPA. Thick spider-web lacing.

Strong notes of pine and some citrus, with a hint of floral honey. Malt presence in the background with light caramel and grains.

Smooth, sweet, caramel, and syrup; hop presence is very subdued, and manifests mostly in bitterness vice flavor. A bit of pine and floral hops do come through, but they're overpowered by the syrupy malt flavor.

Thick and syrupy; medium feel; absolutely no carbonation sting. It doesn't quite feel alive. Far too syrupy, and a disappointment from ST.

This is a good beer, but a mediocre DIPA. 2XIPA was far more to my liking. No bottle date (typical of Southern Tier; come on, guys!), so I don't know if this was an older bottle or what. I'd have to think their profile is normally more hop-forward.

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is a cloudy copper with a finger of beige head that retains well. The nose has brilliant hop and grapefruit notes. The flavor profile is malty with a subtle but present hop finish. The bitterness does not molest the tongue like some DIPAs, but it is definitely present and appears to gain in potency as this offering warms.

This is an excellent DIPA from one of my favorite breweries.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Deep amber with a nice thin white head.

S - Very malt heavy with some floral hops.

T - Sweet malts come through right up front. Finish is strong resinous hops with a slight alcohol burn.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation. Drinks very easy for being 9.5% alcohol.

O - A good readily available DIPA.

3.81/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

32oz. growler poured into a DFH Signature glass. Filled a few hours ago at Kreston's.

A - Pours a deep copper color with hardly any head. The guy behind the counter said that the keg was almost kicked, and it took a really long time to fill, so I already feared it may be flat. Oh, well. I guess that's not the beer's fault. It is a beautiful color with almost perfect clarity.

S - Smells of sweet clover honey, caramel malts, and a healthy dosage of citrusy orange hops. There is also a distinct herbal character to the aroma. Some bread balances the unusual sweetness and aggressive hop profile.

T - The sweetness is what strikes me first. The malts are of caramel, Moravian sugar cake, and biscuit. Piney and herbal hops shine through in the swallow and long into the linger. Sweeter than I prefer for a Double IPA, but the flavor isn't unpleasant.

M - Lightly carbonated, probably because of the fill. Sticky feel with a slightly dry finish.

O - I found this beer to be a bit unbalanced, favoring the malts. I have no way of knowing the age of the keg, so I don't know if this is due to age. Tastes more like a Barleywine than a DIPA. With that being said, it is still a pretty nice beer. A complex malt profile with a little bit of herbal hop bitterness on the back end make for an enjoyable brew. I may need to grab a reasonably fresh bottle to see if my assessment is a fair one.

3.52/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Let me start off by saying I'm a huge West Coast IPA fan. Being from San Diego, I've always preferred the more piney IPAs. I've heard a lot of good things about Unearthly, so when I saw it at Wegmans in Syracuse, NY I decided to give it a try. Looks like your standard IPA. Golden copper. Smells very boozy and sweet. No sense of hops in there at all. Taste is really sweet and boozy as well. Hops play such a small role in this beer. I'm wondering if I got an old bottle or something. Mouthfeel is a little syrupy, but overall not bad. This beer is just way too sweet and malty for me. It doesn't even really taste like an IPA. Probably won't drink this again.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Great orange with a hint of red color. Head is a nice off white tannish color.

S: An abundant of malts and hops. Some grapefruit, pepper spice, and a bit boozy.

T: Still a lot of hops and malts, grapefruit and pepper spice also carry over, a little sweet from the malts, and still kind of boozy.

M: Medium-full body with an awesome balance of carbonation. Leaves a lot of the hops after tastes in there with a bit of dryness and earthy tone. I really liked that.

O: Awesome beer. I still much prefer their 2XIPA, this is still a great beverage when you want more hops focus.

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this (along with other dipa's) at a East VS. West Dipa Head to Head Showdown I hosted on 8/27/13

Round 5 East Unearthly West RuinTEN

Wow.... this bastard is hot.... and hot.... god damn... but I absolutely love it... nothing for me that's "undrinkable" but enough to call it a sipper. This was now round 5 and I'm sure this beer put me over the edge... for me personally stone was cleaner and a hell of a lot smoother... but they were both malty but unearthly was a nice big malt bomb so to speak.. good hop profile in both but this came down to a split decision for me and the maltyness and that super hot burn left me with unearthly being the victor. I'm gonna buy another and sit on this bad boy a while....

Appearance: Caramel, copper.
Smell: Peppery pine and alcohol.
Taste: Honey, pepper, and alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Smooth.

Big. This is a slow sipper. The alcohol is pronounced. Like most imperials, at least to me, it's harder to pick out the particulars in the smell and taste. The overall drink is excellent though. I would certainly get this again.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Initially tasted straight from the bottle while very cold. Very nice aroma; the hop bill on the bottle promised good things that the nose reaffirmed. Alas, it didn't live up to the nose.

A: Poured a nice copper color with a cream colored head that dies quickly.

S: Lots of hops on the nose initially, then malt.

T: A brief hop bite then the malt and alcohol come in. The malt and alcohol are very much in balance. Leaves a lingering, slightly caramel with the faintest hint of hop bitterness, flavor. Definitely packs the alcohol punch but the malt sweetness balances.

M: Very nice body. Thick and mouth coating. Doesn't die after 10 seconds.

O: I was mislead by the label. When I see "unearthly IPA" I expect nothing but hops. I like it nonetheless. The alcohol and malt are very balanced but needs more hops, both bittering and aromatic.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

IPA Day 2013 beer for me. Bottle date of 5/20/13 and enjoyed on 8/1/13. Pours from the bottle copper, clear, and with a big fluffy aromatic head. Aroma of big grapefruit and some sweet malts, then more grapefruit. Flavor has a huge malt backbone but with plenty of bitter from the hops. Very sweet and very much on style. Slick mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. Pretty solid and much better than the Oakes version. Wondering if the hops had more power when this was bottled 2.5 months ago, but overall plenty of bite still there.

4.49/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had just finished a really sweaty workout, and parched as I was, I sought out this DIPA that I had never tried before. Drank in a snifter, just a little above fridge temperature.

It's a pure, transparent gold color. I would say "unearthly" in its clarity. A two-finger dirty white head.

As I live much closer to the West coast than the East, this is the first "East coast IPA" I've had, and I could already distinguish a different character as I took in the aroma. It smells like honey and sweet bread. Tropical fruits, too. A sweeter and juicier scent than the astringent pine smell of a lot of other DIPAs I've had.

The flavor also follows a slightly different blueprint than I'm accustomed to. It's brimming with hop flavor and refrshing fruitiness... citrus... and maybe some mango. Wonderful spicy hops in the finish. The thing that's kind of new to me is that it doesn't bombard me with the bitterness I love oh so much in a DIPA. However, though the bitterness is moderate, hoppiness is still high. So it's different to me, but by NO means in a bad way.

The feel is... seamless. Perfect, really. One of the smoothest DIPAs, or beers of any style, that I've ever had.

Mmmmhmm. Those Easterners do their own thing, and I think Unearhtly gave me a real nice taste of that thing.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company