Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)
4.07/5
Exceptional
Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John on 02-24-2006

Ratings: 3,076 |  Reviews: 1,225
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

A- awesome hazy unfiltered looking apricot orange. This one looks beautiful in the tall, gracefully shaped stone levitation silver rimmed tulip. The foam is remarkable. It has the color and texture of whipped butter (like if you put cream in a jar and shake it) and the lace is just shoooo all over the place all drippy and sticky and whatnot. Haven't seen anything finer and this review is bound to be full of extraterrestrial and supernatural metaphors.

S- this one has the ideal nose to suit my standard for a DIPA. It's got that stellar marshmallow toffee wonderbong, baby!!!! Run through goldings in the hop back? Whaaaat?!?! Usually can't go wrong with 3 of the C's IMO and the nose is full of unexpected creamy fruits and berries like melon and strawberry with undertones of sweet pipe tobacco, vanilla, cedar, mushroom and cured hardwood. When cold, the hops really only come through in a lemony orange dish soap kinda way but as the beer warms just a bit watch out.. Grapefruit, peach, pear, mango, passion fruit, tropical outer space madness-- but not at all harsh and nostril ripping. Fermented tartness like full sour dills with a coriander spice note add another sprightly layer to what is already an amazing aroma.

T- so as my beard nears the lip of the glass and my lips protrude toward it, I begin to feel some apprehension, as if this beer will be so hoppy that it will slaughter me, leave me on the floor twitching in ghastly agony, aware of my former existence but unable to return to it. So I take a small sip and feel the sting. Just a precursor, I say to myself, just like licking the cut half of a scotch bonnet just to see what you're in for. Then a full and hearty draught. This is actually quite tame! And balanced! And, at first maybe even a little too sweet! My dog, laying at my feet raises her almond eyes to me and then adjusts her position into a big curled up ball, as if a cold wind had suddenly blown through the dining room. The beer is sweet. Very sweet and woodsy and burboun barrelish. Toffee and cashew brittle. Caramel and obnoxious fun. Very fresh barley malt with a tart fermented edge, same as the aroma with subtle hints of caraway and the creamy light nuttiness of pinoli with brown sugar and faint sweetened peanut butter. Then sha-BAM, POW, WAP! Hi, I'm the hop poltergeist and I'm here to f#%k your shit up. Spiraling into another dimension, I try to grasp the concept of, and ultimately put into words, how the hops transform the cloying sweetness into a balance that the scales of Themis would struggle to achieve. I, however can tell you who the perpetrator is: chinook. His astringent bitterness long outlasts the sugary malt and the wonderful tropical pineapple grapefruit orange like mango 'fruity' hops and rasps away any sweetness that is brave enough to linger. Hell, there's even hints of motor oil. But there IS NOT any trace of alcohol.

MF- this other struggle happens in the feel. There's a slickness, an oily alpha acid tongue roughening numbing bitterness altogether with sugary somethings and cheek drying alcohol. No burn in the chest, no sense of sipping a cocktail, only the buzzing of your body and the awareness in your mind that you've damn near written a novel to review a beer. Lip stickiness I can feel my mustache and beard hairs sticking together. I feel proud.

D- overall, southern tier is my new favorite American brewery, at least for its imperial series. I'm embarrassed at how many times I've passed them by. Unearthly, mokah, java, creme brulee, and pumking all deserve a plot of land on the moon. Or mars, whichever we get to first. The play of sweet on bitter here astounds me. Like I don't know whether to 5 it or not. BUT-- if there's question, it must not be the one. Damn close though.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

22oz bomber. Deep, crystal clear filtered amber. The head rises to 2/3" or so before settling to a steady layer leaving intricate lace. Hop notes immediately pull you in for an intense piney and perfumey assault on the senses. A sturdy multi-grain character balances with some bready notes in the nose. Floral and perfumey hops once again are predominate in the taste followed by piney and citrus elements. The caramel sweetness lent to the brew by the hefty grains is countered nicely by a reassuring warming by the alcohol. This brew is quite comfortable subbing for a fine cognac with it's intense aromatics and warming effect. I'm kickin back like the ladies man Leon Phelps with this bad boy. But there it goes again petitioning me to drink again...and again...I of course oblige, possessing little restraint. The body however welcomes consumption in this manner as it is moderate/medium sans the syrupy thick mouthfeel of other similar brews. It seems to shift at will from satisfying big ass sippin' IIPA, to a very drinkable but potent brew concealing the 11% abv quite well. Cheers to Southern Tier for a fine brew.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Birthday beer #8 from my sister-in-law. I've had this one before and rated it higher. This one was from the bottle into an IPA glass. Tasty.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle poured into my snifter glass. Served at a little lower than room temperature.

Appearance: Clear reddish orange in color. one finger beige and pillowy head with almost no retention. Recedes into absolutely no head.

Aroma: Astrigent citrus notes are strong upfront. The malt backobone is really aromoatic. Rye and some pale malt notes also stick out. Nicely balanced.

Taste: Strong, clean citrus notes. Bitter toward the end, but overall more sweet than most IPAs. The strong malt backbone, especially the rye, give this good balance. Rye gives a bit of spice and the pale malt gives a nice smooth finish.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and very smooth. A little bit of carbonation, but overall not that crisp for an IPA.

Drinkability: Despite the ABV, this is reall easy to drtink. The bitterness does not really get in the way much. Hard to imagine having more than one though.

Overall, a pleasant IPA with a nice rye backbone. More sweet than bitter and very full bodied. A nice twist on a big IPA. The spice of the rye really sticks out for me.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 22oz Brown bomber.

A: Poured a deep golden, with a slight haze. 2 finger deep fluffy white head. Thick laceing on the glass. The head sticks around and never really goes away

S: Smell is primarily of hops, some citrus and sweetness. It is very aromatic and delicious smelling.

T: First off its sweet, then the hops surge forward, hints of pine. The sweatness sticks around and really balances the high amount of hops present.
Theres is somthing nutty, or oaky in the taste as well. Minimal alcahol warming, which is crazy at 11% abv. Its hiding in here somwhere.

M: Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with a medium carbonation.

D: This is up there with my top ten favorites. I will buy this again, however not as frequently as I'd like. It was a bit spendy at $7.00
I've brewed my own double IPA and that was not cheap to do, so its a justifiable price to pay.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

P- AOH

A- deep copper tones and orange highlites. 4 finger head with peaks and great spiderweb lacing.

S- strong floral and light citrus undertones in the nose. Light on the caramel malts as well.

T- Floral notes hit the palate first, followed by some grapefruit. very nice IPA

M- dry and medium bodied. Strong on the hop nots but thats the way it should be.

D- a def sipper but a good brew.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle into tulip.

A- Crystal clear copper pour with a soapy three finger egg shell head. Lacing is awesome.

S- Grapefruit, pine and mandarin oranges. There is a sweet malt backing. Very balanced.

T- Excellent bitter pine hops with slight citrus. Subtle candy sugar.

M- Medium bodied, slight carbonation.

O- This is the way an iipa should be.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

A--Deep amber color with a finger of head using a standard pour into a pint glass, OK lacing left behind

S--Citrus and floral hops with a strong malty backbone. Grapefruit, apple peels, caramel, pears. Not a huge smell but still very good.

T--Piney hops, lots of maltiness, caramel, an odd sweet flavor that I can't identify, good bitterness levels. I'm not really too impressed with the taste here. That sweetness that I can't seem to identify is really distracting and takes away from the other flavors present.

M--Standard for a DIPA

D--A bomber of this was just too much. I could drink a pint for sure, but beyond that it becomes a chore.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a magnificent polished copper-amber, with a good inch of white foam that falls to coat the surface of the beer, while leaving some lacing. The head sticks around forever, while the smell overflows from my glass….

…and socks my nose with a one-two punch of fresh pine and citrus hops! The aroma in this beer is nothing short of sublime, a perfect blend of juicy grapefruit and rich toasted grains dripping with sugar and spruce notes. Even at 11%, the alcohol is subdued (somehow) and the luscious hops spring out of the glass, lively and vibrant. This is one of the best smelling DIPAs I’ve ever had the pleasure to drink. I can’t adequately describe it; you’ve just got to drink it for yourself.

The flavor doesn’t disappoint either, Unearthly is a superb example of the double IPA style. It’s bitter and strong, and the hops are certainly the star of the show, but it’s extremely well balanced with lots of sweet malt that is neither cloying nor syrupy. The sweetness isn’t enough to stop you from drinking a lot of this, nor does it leave much of a calling card via aftertaste. One gets the impression that this beer was crafted over many batches, till the brewers were perfectly happy with the result.

The carbonation is flawless, and the mouthfeel is smooth without being syrupy or sticky. Unearthly is warming, it really hits my throat on the way down. Finishes damp and juicy with lots of grapefruit / citrus notes and a toasty brown sugar flavor that teases. The hop-sweet honey aftertaste finish is long and warm and comforting. I want some more!

It’s been a while since I’ve had an Unearthly, but thanks to Khiasmus. I’ve been able to try this again. I’d forgotten just how good this beer is. Massive respect to Southern Tier, achieving something like this isn’t simple, nor is it common. If you like trying Double IPAs, this should be near the top of your list. Unearthly is fantastic.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a very clear, dark amber with incredibly bright higlights of gold. Very little head -- just a collar. The nose is very minty, but the hops are joined by a barleywine-esque graham crackery, sweet malt note. The nose reminds me of Anchor Old Foghorn. On the palate, brisk carbonation and fruity, juicy sweetness crop up first, before being matched by minty hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is marked by big carbonation, big alcoholic burn and an almost cloying maltiness. Overall, this is a good double IPA. Not my favorite style, but good considering the competition.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Into a wide bodied flute, pours a rich amber, clear and with small strings bubbling from below, a nice bone white head on top that settles to a good coating, and a bit of lacing too.

The aroma reminds me of the fruits I was eating for breakfast just a few long months ago in Jamaica, pineapple, mellon, lime, mango, orange,

I don't know if my palate has simply been crushed from the number of huge beers I've had lately, but an IIPA of 11% and a mountain of hops should overpower me, should send me whimpering. Better, I'm sitting in bliss. I don't have to fear this beer, for its a thing of beauty. All the notes from the nose carry over beautifully, with a bit more malty sweetness, juicy and delicious. Its very nice. And of course, immensely hoppy. Delicious. (in fact, my subconscious id makes me buy this beer whenever I see it, whether I have some in my fridge or not)(translation, its beauty haunts my dreams)

The mouth is smooth, soft, full, and creamy, faint carbonation, and the slightest bit of warmth is all you'll notice from the 11% ABV. Its a sipper, but one you'll be able to sip for more than one bottle. A superbly crafted beer, wonderful to drink. Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for supplying me with this.

3.37/5  rDev -17.2%

Presentation: Nice labeled 22oz brown pop top...no freshness date found

Appearance: Dark gold/burnt orange beer with a cream colored cap of large bubbles

Smell: Quite bright; there are grapefruit and orange rind hops, and just strong citrusy notes in general balanced by big caramel aromas

Taste: Big dose of earthy hops, notes of citrus, toasted biscuit as well...there's not a lot of complexity to this, and it's honestly a bit over-the-top and rough for me

Mouthfeel: Medium/heavy and obviously alcoholic

Drinkability: Medium

Conclusion: This is a bit brash for me...interesting, but nothing real special; a buddy and I split this bomber as our nightcap after an evening of tasting...1 bottle for two was definitely enough

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

This has been aging for around 6 months. It was really blasting with hops fresh so I'm excited to see how this slightly aged version is.

I love when Imperial IPA's have a nice red body like this one. It was topped with a thin white head initially but it fell leaving only a single layer of bubbles on the surface. There is visible carbonation rising off the DFH snifter.

I barely even need to get my nose near the glass to smell the aroma coming off of this one. It is sweet and caramelly with piney and with a bit of citrus. I was expecting more citrus but this is slightly aged.

This is an interesting taste all around. It has a good malty base and decent bitterness from the hops but the flavor is almost totally missing. This is a lot different than the fresh version.

This beer is nice and thick just like a DIPA should be.

The aged version is good but the fresh version is better.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company