Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John on 02-24-2006

Reviews: 1,218 | Ratings: 3,043
3.38/5  rDev -17%

A- transparent copper-yellow. Thick 3 inch head comes from semi-vigorous pour
S- Hoppy as expected, but definitely not a hop bomb. Can almost smell the malt sweetness through the hops.
T- Very balanced. Very malty for a beer of DIPA. Alcohol is hardly detectable.
M- Thin, but somewhat oily. Carbonation and great malt/hop balance give this one a great mouthfeel.
D- Drinkability is dangerously good for a beer of this ABV. It would be possible to drink three 22 oz bombers, but probably not advisable.
Overall- A good beer. Definitely not a hop bomb. Somewhat comparable to left hand twisted sisters IPA because of the good balance and strong malt backbone.

2.51/5  rDev -38.3%

A - Deep orange with almost no head. What little there is disappears instantly and leaves behind no lacing.

S - Malt-forward. Caramel malt and that's mostly it. Some searching yields some tropical fruit hop presence but not much. Where's the hop-forward nose on this imperial IPA?

T - Same as the smell. Mostly malt from the beginning with some fruitiness from the hops. Hardly any bitterness is present. This beer doesn't taste bad, but I expect an imperial IPA to be a heck of a lot more bitter and hop-dominant.

M - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and a slight alcohol tinge in the finish. A little too much sweetness from the malt.

O - This is not a bad-tasting beer, but it is a poor representation of an imperial IPA IMO. The bitterness is very subtle for the style, and the hops are in way too good of balance with the malt. I don't drink an imperial IPA for perfect balance between malt and hops, I drink it for a pronounced hop character.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a nice dark amber color with a good two fingers of creamy head and lots of lacing. Hops smell of grapefruit, pine and pineapple and then a hint of sweet malts. Nice mellow hop bite up front with a nice citrus flavor. The sweet malts come through and complement the hops nicely and for 11% the alcohol is hardly noticeable. Full bodied mouthfeel with very light carbonation, very smooth. Good DIPA that I would definitely have again. You can put down the entire bomber easily yourself or share with friends.

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

This beer pours a nice light orange with a thin white head. The aroma is loaded with hops but balanced with some malty sweetness. It has a full body with solid bitterness to balance out the imperial maltiness. It finishes well and leaves you wanting more. Overall, a very good beer.

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pour from a growler that was purchased 30 minutes prior to consumption.
Orange-red color kind of threw me. Smelled like, flowers, soap, pine, and slight malt. Taste was spicy, soap and hoppy with a severe alcohol presense. Drank two pints in a half hour, so it wasn't half bad. I'd still choose other DIPA's before I go back to UnEarthly.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

smells...hop forward....7-up citrusy...effervescent

mouthed....comforting grapefruit hops...easy drinking...a bit sweet...kinda skittle-like fruity...11%....a medium long aftertaste of hops and some minerals thrown in....

after a few gulps it starts warming your body..the heat is there...just a bit hidden....

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

22 oz bomber into duvel tulip. No bottle date.

A - orange/amber. An aggressive pour yields 1.5 fingers of white head, which receeds quickly and leaves a nice rings of medium white bubbles around the ring of the glass.

S - Slight floral and piney hops with a huge amount of burnt caramel malts shining through.

T - The hops are much more pronounced than in the nose, and the malt isn't as prevalent. It's definitely balanced. Bitter all the way to the end.

M - Perfect for this style, medium bodied with a solid amount of carbonation.

O - A really good DIPA but at $9/bomber, I don't know how frequently I will seek this out.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

bomber poured into snifter, no freshness date

A- even pale beige head recedes very quickly, wispy retention at best. Thin lacing that dissipates easily. Orangey, shiny amber liquid that is crystal clear.

S- enjoyable citric/piney hops very present, very little aroma on exhale, sniffs of alcoholic strength becomes more apparent only as it warms.

T- Malt? sweetness (or at least some kind of sweetness- hops come in too quick to be sure) present and pleasant upon first taste, giving way immediately to citric, piney hop bitterness up front, but doesn't linger on the tongue. Doesn't linger as strongly as one might expect on the tongue from 2xIPA but it does linger nonetheless in other areas of the mouth. Quick burning alcoholic finish and flavors become more pronounced as it warms.

M- surprisingly light in the mouth. Very smooth, medium body as best- amazing since ABV is listed at 11, which is simply shocking considering the lightness. Carbonation is very mild/minimal, contributing to the smoothness.

D- Overall, I was surprisingly disappointed. I didn't know this was a double IPA until I started drinking it and re-read the label. For a double, imo, it's actually weaker than I like in terms of hop bitterness and overall flavor- for my double ipas I prefer much sharper/whip crack bitterness from the hops, lingering far after the initial flavor, which this didn't do. While very smooth and likely to be drinkable with many foods, it didn't strike me as a double IPA that I'll return to just to drink on its own. The alcohol doesn't show thru, which I suppose is a plus, but overall, that doesn't lift the beer to great heights.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Hazy dark orange color with a fluffy head. The lacing forms sticky rings around the glass as it goes down. Below-average carbonation.

Smell: There are hop, brown-sugar, and rose petal notes in the nose. Grapefruit is present along with other citrus and floral scents.

Taste: Balanced grapefruit-like citrus and honeyed malts. Hoppy, but not overpowering. I would not guess that this beer is 11% ABV. On the sweeter side compared to the majority of its style. Excellent hop profile. This beer is surprising well balanced as there is a solid brown-sugar-malty backbone present.

Mouthfeel: I was a little surprised to find that this beer is essentially full bodied. There is also very little carbonation. Nice mouth-coating. Smooth.

Ending notes: What a great beer! A nice sipper. I would easily recommend this to any hop head. Very enjoyable.

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%

A and I went to Cambridge Common with some friend from Florida and sampled this on tap. Due to the higher alcohol we were served in a 10oz serving glass, which was fine since it does have a a bit of a kick.

Color is more amber that pale-alish, and the taste is quite matly sweet, but not
overwhelmingly so. Nice hoppy balance so that you are never getting too
much acid or malt. The nose has a hint of the citrusy hop, but does not
come across as a big IPA. The sweetness makes this a nice dessert type of beer
and it finished off the evening better than a piece of pie.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

What a wonderful beer! Amber body with a thick, frothy three-finger head.

Just a tremendous hoppy scent. Smell of alcohol sneaks through the curtain of shy malts and floral hops.

A smooth balanced taste, I can tell that it's dry-hopped. I taste the cascade, but there's definately a couple other hops in there (a muted floral taste and the other more citrusy). I spent an entire glassfull dissecting the malt. Although the hop dynamic is so perfect, I think the malt makes this beer. It 's complicated and rich, but doesn't outweigh the alcohol or the hops. Earthy malt entrance and sweet malt exit, it yields to the hops, which remain in your mouth and nose as if you just walked through a cloud of hop dust.

Smooth and oily mouthfeel. Uninhibiting, almost unnoticable carbonation. I normally complain that the hoppiest of IPAs leave undersirable tastes in my mouth for hours after. I welcome the aftertaste!

Just be careful of the 11% ABV. Other than that, I want to try this big bodied beer the next time on on a walk in the woods. Great with cheese and crackers or BBQ (hot dogs/hamburg).

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Got a 22 oz bottle for 6$.
Appearance: cloudy golden unfiltered look , poured a nice 3/4" head that faded to a thin layer.
Smell, not overpowering, you can smell the hops with a bit of bready sweetness.
Taste: very similar to their 2XIPA, the hops and malt character hit you both at the same time smooth and rich with a faint alchol taste finishes dry.
Mouthfeel: this is a mouth pleaser! rich flavorful and full , big beer taste.
Overall: another great S.T. brew if you like ST you will love this IPA.

4.64/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an interesting beer. It starts out bitter but settles into a counterbalance of malty sweetness. That sweetness is not as dominate in the flavor profile as Southern Tier's Gemini, but it is more pronounced than in their standard-bearer: 2XIPA (all available for together for sampling in the "Super Pack.)...it falls somewhere in between, a nicely balanced imperial. It's light on the palate but filling. Enjoyed it.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

I had a chance to try a split off a big bottle of this last evening. Wow! Good color, nice head, inviting. Impressive hop aroma, substantial hop flavors (perhaps more Cascade in the aroma and flavor than I'd like, but that's ok) but so beautifully balanced with the dryness of the alcohol (high at 11%) and the chewy caramely malt that it sure shocked me when I heard how many IBUs it had in it. A very nice example of the style. By the name alone I had expected a bigger dose of hops, the balance thrown badly askew, so I was quite happy. I think this would hold up well against similar product from other makers (Victory, Stone, Stoudt, DFH Burton?), but I think the true hop-head would probably be better off with Weyerbacher Hops Infusion or Three Floyds' Dreadnaught or maybe even the (lighter single IPA) Legacy HHH because of this deceptive balance. Hmmm. I am likely to add this to my regular rotation of big bitter beers as long as we can get it.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Got this as a sample from a saleswoman - gotta make sure I thank her.

A - Very nice orance with a rocky white head that leaves excellent lacing as it slides down. Looks pretty much perfect.

S - Citrus. Tons of citrus. Tons of hops, and I mean tons of that good traditional hop smell.

T - Hoppy as hell, yet it's not too too much. It's fairly well balanced, I think. You can't miss the hops, but it's a good full bodied brew. One of the better doubles I've ever had, that's for damn sure. I'm not even sure what else I can say, there's just so much going on it's hard to explain.

M - Full bodied, goes down alot easier than an 11%'er should. Leaves the mouth semi-dry, but there's lot of citrus and fruit in there. For as hoppy as it is, I'm suprised it didn't dry me out completely.

D - It is 11%, but during this review I drank a decent amount of this. I'm giving it a 4 right now, but I don't know if i could take on much more.

Find it, buy it, drink it. Actually, buy a few. I'm really not sure if this is "limited" or around all the time. Hopefully this is part of their usual lineup, it's damn good.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

I opened the 22 oz bottle and poured it into a wide goblet. This is the first beer I am drinking after being ill for a week. so I imagine the flavors will show more intensly for me.

The color wa quite light honey gold and clear for the style. the head was short lived but left white lacey sip marks.

The aroma was nice and fruity; peach, bubblegum and tropical. quite nice not super intence

On first sip I knew I was in trouble it was definately big; The flavor is intencely hoppy with the fruit section highlighted, no pine! the malt does a good job of hiding the alcohol but it makes itself heard when the temp rises.

over all the mouthfeel is good but runs thin in higher temps twards the end of the glass.

outstandingout of a bottle but if you can get it on tap then you are brewin wit gas!!
CHEERS!

4.46/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a beer mug from a 22 oz bottle

A- Good foamy head that faded slowly with heavy lacing. Rich gold color

S- Very fragrant- apples, oranges, slightly bready with a slight spicyness

T- Pleasant bitterness, malt definitely takes center stage. Fruity and well-balanced

M- Smooth, rich with vigorous carbonation

O- Exceptional, I think this is the first "pale" beer I've had that tasted truly decadent. Beware though- it disguises it's alcohol content very well

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

22oz Bottle. Not aged.

appearance - Light for a Double IPA. Cooper. Normal head.

smell - Sweel carmel with pine late addition hops. Very nice.

taste - Starts malty with pine flavors. The malt holds in there and stays sweet with a mild bitter finish. Not a big IPA when it comes to bitterness but the flavor and aroma hops are there.

mouthfeel - Full with a hint of carbonation.

drinkability - I've always found Southern Tier's beers while not a great example of the style to be very drinkable. East Coast for sure, hides the alcohol very well at 11%. Another clean solid beer.

3.67/5  rDev -9.8%

Southern Tier needs to up their game on quality control. Somebody put barleywine in the double IPA bottle. It has the malt forward nose of a barleywine, not to say that the hops don't make their citrusy presence known but they are the supporting player and not the star. Same with the taste - way too sweet and malty for a dipa. Now I thought it was a pretty good barleywine and had no problems making my way through the bomber. The 11% abv was pretty well hidden. But I like dipas better than baleywines generally and marking to labeled style this came up a bit short.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Copper-colored appearance, with a decent amount of head that lasted for a while.

S: This had a citrus-y and piney type aroma that smelled amazing as I approached my first sip. In fact, I even pulled the glass away hoping to experience it again (it worked!).

T: I can see how this beer has received such great reviews. It's flavorful and not too strong. (Especially for an 11.00%ABV.) The hops are awesome. Gotta love Cascade hops.

M: This beer jumps right out at you. Kind of gave me a prickle on my tongue until its bitterness settled in. All in all, no unpleasant surprises here.

D: With its stronger ABV, and at-times-overwhelmingly piney/citrusy taste, I could only drink a couple. The suggestion of serving it at 42F was dead-on though. Great ice-cold brew.

My brother-in-law picked it up at a local store in Jamestown, NY.

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

These guys just got distribution in Virginia, and oh boy, thank the booze gods for our opportunity to quaff Southern Tiers masterful brews. Unearthly is a hella good IIPA. Let's start with that. Why? Let's continue. Out of bomber (nice silkscreen label, by the way) and into an awaiting glass of proper proportions. Marvelous honeyed hue with bountiful puffy head. Mmmmm, resinous lacing soon follows. Aroma is a little muted, but definitely leans on the "sticky" side as far as bouquet goes. Flavor is where it is at. Certainly this is a sweeter interpretation, but that is not a fault. Amazingly smooth with rich, plump malt just swirling beneath a foil of juniper, grapefruit, tree sap alpha acids. And drinkablility? Whooo-eeee! This sucka's not unlike a Lay's potato chip. Unfortunately, at 11%, more than a bomber or two (honestly I could do three) and words get a little gummy in your mouth. End result- thank you Southern Tier for giving me one more thing to blame for doing stupid things at a party.

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 650 mL bottle into a nonic pint glass. The beer pours a deep, inviting gold. There are cascading ribbons of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Good.

This tastes pretty much like it smells. Mild astringincy and high alcohol (barely) dectectable amidst the mericiless barrage of herbal hoppiness. Brutally dry hopped (have they found some way to just dissovle the whole plant into this?) After a few sips, my palate is dead. This is my last beer of the night. Good.

A tall glass of "fuck you" from a bottle. Furthermore, at 11% and 650 mls, this is like drinking a whole bottle of wine. A new session brew? Good.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured from tap at Chappy's Tap Room in Moraine, OH. Brown amber color with a nice 2 finger head. The hoppy smell was very nice. The taste was dirty like grass or pine hops with some liquorish or toffee on the malt side. It seemed a bit unbalanced with the hops much more prevelant than the malts. It had a very nice lacing and overall was a very nice beer.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Had this on tap at Mad Mex. Poured in a snifter because of the high alcohol. Really enjoyed this palate killer.

Appearance was copper w/ eg shell head lot of lacing left around the glass I drank this big beer slowly.

Strong hoppy smell reminded me of fresh cut grass. Alcohol smell present but not over whelming. Some fruits and spices are brought out as it warms.

Has a bold taste of hops and fruit. Raw hop flavor really stands out in a good way.

Overall, Let this one sit in the glass and warm up to bring out the aromas. Big beer with big taste, drink this one at the end of the night.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

Picked this one up in a bottle at Giant Eagle on 8/1/2011

Appearance: Very rich golden, amber color. Poured a very subtle head, not too much to write home about. Almost no signs of carbonation besides a few sticky bubbles on side of my glass.

Smell: Very fruity hops. Sort of reminds me of Strawbelly jelly or candy... A bit of alcohol sneaks in after the sweet, caramel malts and fruity hop scent.

Taste: Intense sweet caramel-like taste with a moderate sour, soapy hoppiness shining through. Not as hoppy as I expected or would like to have with a IIPA. The alcohol snaps in quickly towards the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel: A little to thick for an IIPA, I believe. Moderately carbonated and only a bit sticky. I thought this offering was a bit too "thick feeling for a IIPA.

Overall: I was hoping for something a bit more hopped up but I am satisfied with this brew. Not something I will seek out again but I think I can recommend it to a few people who prefer a sweeter offering rather than a bitter hop bomb.

Coming in at 11% this is something you need to sip to enjoy, no downing like the town drunk on this one.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company