Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John on 02-24-2006

Ratings: 3,070 |  Reviews: 1,223
3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a very clear, dark amber with incredibly bright higlights of gold. Very little head -- just a collar. The nose is very minty, but the hops are joined by a barleywine-esque graham crackery, sweet malt note. The nose reminds me of Anchor Old Foghorn. On the palate, brisk carbonation and fruity, juicy sweetness crop up first, before being matched by minty hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is marked by big carbonation, big alcoholic burn and an almost cloying maltiness. Overall, this is a good double IPA. Not my favorite style, but good considering the competition.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Into a wide bodied flute, pours a rich amber, clear and with small strings bubbling from below, a nice bone white head on top that settles to a good coating, and a bit of lacing too.

The aroma reminds me of the fruits I was eating for breakfast just a few long months ago in Jamaica, pineapple, mellon, lime, mango, orange,

I don't know if my palate has simply been crushed from the number of huge beers I've had lately, but an IIPA of 11% and a mountain of hops should overpower me, should send me whimpering. Better, I'm sitting in bliss. I don't have to fear this beer, for its a thing of beauty. All the notes from the nose carry over beautifully, with a bit more malty sweetness, juicy and delicious. Its very nice. And of course, immensely hoppy. Delicious. (in fact, my subconscious id makes me buy this beer whenever I see it, whether I have some in my fridge or not)(translation, its beauty haunts my dreams)

The mouth is smooth, soft, full, and creamy, faint carbonation, and the slightest bit of warmth is all you'll notice from the 11% ABV. Its a sipper, but one you'll be able to sip for more than one bottle. A superbly crafted beer, wonderful to drink. Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for supplying me with this.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

P- AOH

A- deep copper tones and orange highlites. 4 finger head with peaks and great spiderweb lacing.

S- strong floral and light citrus undertones in the nose. Light on the caramel malts as well.

T- Floral notes hit the palate first, followed by some grapefruit. very nice IPA

M- dry and medium bodied. Strong on the hop nots but thats the way it should be.

D- a def sipper but a good brew.

3.37/5  rDev -17.2%

Presentation: Nice labeled 22oz brown pop top...no freshness date found

Appearance: Dark gold/burnt orange beer with a cream colored cap of large bubbles

Smell: Quite bright; there are grapefruit and orange rind hops, and just strong citrusy notes in general balanced by big caramel aromas

Taste: Big dose of earthy hops, notes of citrus, toasted biscuit as well...there's not a lot of complexity to this, and it's honestly a bit over-the-top and rough for me

Mouthfeel: Medium/heavy and obviously alcoholic

Drinkability: Medium

Conclusion: This is a bit brash for me...interesting, but nothing real special; a buddy and I split this bomber as our nightcap after an evening of tasting...1 bottle for two was definitely enough

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

This has been aging for around 6 months. It was really blasting with hops fresh so I'm excited to see how this slightly aged version is.

I love when Imperial IPA's have a nice red body like this one. It was topped with a thin white head initially but it fell leaving only a single layer of bubbles on the surface. There is visible carbonation rising off the DFH snifter.

I barely even need to get my nose near the glass to smell the aroma coming off of this one. It is sweet and caramelly with piney and with a bit of citrus. I was expecting more citrus but this is slightly aged.

This is an interesting taste all around. It has a good malty base and decent bitterness from the hops but the flavor is almost totally missing. This is a lot different than the fresh version.

This beer is nice and thick just like a DIPA should be.

The aged version is good but the fresh version is better.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%

served from a 650mL bottle into a new 2009 Boulevard Smokestack Series goblet

Pours a pleasing shade of darkened tangerine. The head, on this pour anyway, was pretty low. (Was my glass not clean enough?)

Grassy hops, lemongrass, caramel malt, some biscuit. It is hard to distinguish specific aromas as they all blend in together quite seamlessly.

Wow, the malt hits the tongue first and stays. This is very malty, which surprises me. Not nearly as much grapefruit as I thought there was going to be given the hops used. Faint bitterness on the tongue. It's hoppy, sure, but not overly so. Actually, its not hoppy enough for my tastes. Unearthly manages to be restrained somewhow; it must the the huge, sweet malts. Some lemon and honey come out of the hops and round out the flavors. The alcohol does make itself noticed, too.

Not much carbonation, which leads to this beer being almost syrupy. Any more chewiness and this beer would have been too sweet; as is, the feel is still good. Its 11% ABV, and I'm starting to feel it as finish the bomber.

This is another Imperial IPA that I find to be too balanced for my liking. Its a very good beer,and my ratings reflect that. I just want a double IPA that is more bitter, drying, hoppy and less malty/sweet. Can I get some CA DIPAs, please?

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Nose is moderately hoppy - floral, fruity, and perfumy. Chocolate malt and citric notes.

Pours a medium gold with good clarity, moderate head with pretty good retention for 11%.

First sip brings sweetness, maltiness, fruity hops (V8-like), and a mouthful of bitterness. Doesn't at all taste like 11%. Pretty tame hop profile despite the over-bearing V8 fruit/vegitable flavor. Good tartness. Very dry with mild bitter/grassy hop tannin powderiness.Pretty sweet (mild-to-moderate). Mild grainy clean malt flavor, mostly dimensionless, Almost sticky sweet like fruit juice. There is indeed a lot of malt in here. Too much residual sugar for me.

Moderately-thick-to-thick body, mild carbonation. Sinister.

Not my favorite. Okay sipped, but in general it is way too sweet and just not hoppy enough.

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

The carbonation was a bit screwed up, but oh well. Smell is sticky and honey sweet (exactly what I expect after having the oak-aged). The smell also holds a bit of spicy hops as well. The taste like has a very odd hop flavor. Its like a spicy, herbal, almost peppery feeling. The only other place Ive seen it is a local brewery (Carolina Brewery Firecracker Pale). The malt is much mroe subdued than I expected (in a very good way).

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.15/5  rDev +2%

11/2/2006 $4.99 22 oz. 11.00% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy medium brown highlighted with orange, and topped by an inch of tight white head that settles slowly lacing the glass nicely.

Aroma:

Bursting with jammy grapefruit aroma, intensely focused and potent with a mildly sweet malt backbone.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

153 IBU's according to the bottle, this is surprisingly well balanced, and not as hoppy as I was expecting. Nicely sweet with bitter grapefruit overtones. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, and somehow the 11% ABV is entirely masked. This goes down easy, which is frightening, considering how potent this beer is.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

22 oz bomber.

11% abv & 153 ibus....uhm, yikes.

Burnt, clear amber color...sticky lace sitting on top. Carbonation seems to struggle to get to the surface.

Bold hop aromas of grapefruit, oranges, and fresh pine needles. The citrus comes through as well as any DIPA out there, and really makes this beer stand out from the crowd.

and the taste...ok, now i see what all the hype is about...this is fantastic. Grapefruit & citrus lead the charge, with a heavy caramel malt backing them up. Dry hopped with Cascade, Centennial, and Chinhook...God bless them. You can taste the fresh hops, but the bitterness manages to come across without making the beer too rough to handle. Slightly syrupy, but very creamy and smooth all the way down.

Mouthfeel is perfect. It somehow carries this beastly brew to each tastebud while staying crisp & ultra smooth.

Almost a perfectly constructed Imperial IPA in my book, and a new favorite of mine. Right up there with Dreadnaught.

Got one bottle from wcudwight & one from MrBURTON55 (and I'm not sure which one I'm drinking, I'm just damn glad I've got another one left!) Thanks to you both!

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

New 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a very clear golden amber with a thick 1 finger white head. Leaves a little bit of lacing on the sides.

S: Blooming hop aroma with earthy and floral tones. Very sweet malty backbone. Slight alcohol notes.

T: Less hop-dominant than I would have expected. A sweet malty presence with an earthy hop backing. One of the least hoppy double IPA's i've had but still a very good one. I like how most of the hops appear on the back-end.

M: Thick and syrupy mouthfeel, on the low end of carbonation. Has a little bit of that nectar feel. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Overall always been a favorite of mine. I think the 12oz bottle is more appropriate as this is a doozey to drink more of.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Big thanks go out to reginaldo for this one. Poured the bomber into a snifter.

A: Vibrant and true orange. A smooth pour only produces a half finger of white head that leaves a nice sticky lace.

A: Big floral hop presence jumps from the glass. There is definately some citrus, I'm getting orange peel and kumkuat. Sweet malts and honey round out the nose.

T: Man this is a tasty brew! Flowers and citrus up front, then the sweetness hits you in the back, along with a nice alcohol warmth. I am shocked at how balanced this is. Yes the hops dominate, but the sweet malts make their presence known.

M: Smooth, medium body, just the right amount of carbonation for the style.

D: Again, I am shocked at how drinkable this was, especially at 11% ABV. As the beer warms, it becomes slighty sticky on the palate, and the alcohol checks in, but this is one fine brew! Great offering from Southern Tier, will absolutley be seeking this again. Skal.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Wow, not at all the hop bomb I expected. Pours a very clear amber with a nice white head and sticky lacing. Smell is of mild citrus and caramel malts.
Taste is much the same but amped up. Citrus is the dominant hop note and it's very well done. Not over the top at all. Very nice caramel malt backbone backs up the hops very nicely.
Thick and sticky mouthfeel. Solid.
I could drink lots of this! Easy on the palate, very mild yet very pleasing to drink. I really like this one and will buy many more. Highly recommended.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Hazy dark yellow body with a white bubbly two finger head. Nice lacing.

Sweet hop aroma up front. Bready, malty notes in the mix here as well.

The flavor is more sweet than bitter with more of a tangerine citrus flavor than bitter grapefruit. The hops come through but are overpowered by the sweetness for my liking.

The alcohol is well masked for the high abv. Solid, even if a little too sweet for my liking, DIPA.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company