Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout)Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by John on 02-24-2006

Ratings: 1,273 |  Reviews: 694
3.76/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz Bomber
$8.99
Route 6 Liquors

Winter '08 Release

Jah-va gurgled from the bottle a midnight black with an incredibly dense, creamy two finger mocha head. The head on this beer just won't quit and ends up sticking around as long as the beer does. I'm surprised by the creaminess and staying power of the head on this beer. As it slowly falls and after each drink there are sticky chunks of lacing left behind. A great looking stout!

As I stick my nose in the glass I'm immediately greeted by deep dark chocolate, roasted malts, day old coffee, balancing hoppiness, and a clean whiff of alcohol all in that order from most prominent to least. The coffee isn't quite as pronounced as I hoped but this beer does smell good. There's a touch of molasses like sweetness in there that seems to keep things in line. As far as I can tell from the nose the hops are bigger then I expected, and I like that aspect but there's a sweetness that takes away from the overall aroma.

The roasted maltiness stands out in the flavor more then the aroma suggested. The coffee doesn't stand out all that much and I would go as far as saying it's rather subdued. The alcohol, hops, and sweetness come together on the finish to create big flavor and alcohol fumes that tickle the nose. The dark chocolate runs throughout rising and falling as the roasted malts assert themselves. The sweetness grows as I drink and between the roasted malts and hoppiness, a bitterness grows on the tongue.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side of the spectrum but has a nice silkiness. Although I may be a little picky the sweetness tends to get in the way just a little bit. I do enjoy the numbing ability the malts and hops have on the tongue and the slightly dry finish accentuates that.

This is a giant beer so the drinkability is hampered on that fact alone although the heat doesn't get in the way of the drinkability but the 11% does. The sweetness can be a little too much at times but the drying effect seems to take care of that small problem.

This is another quality beer from Southern Tier. I would have liked to see a little more coffee come forward but even so it's still enjoyable. Somehow they make great big beers with the alcohol being barely noticeable. Another good job from the guys at Southern Tier.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 6/10/08.

Clear, very dark brown pour with little carbonation or head formation.

Aroma is strongly coffee and chocolate with some peanut butter overtones. Think Reese's Peanut Butter Cup dipped in black coffee.

The flavor is brutally, bitingly, wincingly coffee. Thin, black, bitter, burned coffee. That is, until it warms up a few degrees. Then, a wonderful transformation unfolds and the former dregs from a six hour old drip coffeepot become a tasty cherry cordial. Dark, sweet cherries and unsweetened chocolate dominate over the coffee flavor after warming, utterly changing the character of the beer.

The mouthfeel is a little thinner than I would have enjoyed, and the lack of carbonation is unfortunate.

Going to have to say that, even though the warming of the brew salvaged its rating, I'm in no hurry to have this one again.

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a deep black/brown with red highlights... but overall, almost pitch black. The head only sticks around for a couple minutes... mocha/grey.

Smells like burnt caramel, slight bittersweet chocolate, and a pleasant roasted coffee aroma, but not at all overwhelmingly so, slightly hoppy.

Feels thick across the tongue, rich caramel, and incredible ammounts of roasted flavor, finishes with distinctly coffee-like notes... remarkably clean, leaving a pleasant warmth in the mouth from the alcoholic strength.

Much more complex than I would have expected, possibly one of the stouts I've had.

A must try/buy.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

a: As far as I can see, this one is absolutely pitch black. It pours with a short-lived, medium sized mocha head.

s: Roasty cocoa aromas are the biggest element of this one. Fairly strong alcohol as well. The bitter aromas are the interesting part of this one. The coffee aromas are secondary to the hops which are citric and slightly astringent. At times the coffee comes across more strongly, but not often.

t: This is by far the most bitter stout I've ever tried. The coffee flavors are almost an afterthought. The hops dominate the finish tasting of grapefruit and lemon zest. The heat is fairly substantial at the end as well. The malts upfront taste of toasted semi-sweet chocolate with some licorice. This is a massively flavorful stout, almost too much so.

m: The body here is thick and chewy enough, but the carbonation isn't quite lively enough.

d: The word "extreme" is extremely overused these days, but it is the best word to describe this beer. Big and aggressive almost to the point of being abrasive. Theses bombers are definitely for sharing.

3.63/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

It looks like a stout and has the fairly brown head to go with it. But I bought the beer because It was an imperial COFFEE stout.

When a brewery says it has made a coffee stout, that claims engenders certain expectations on the part of the buyer. Accepting that this is an imperial stout as opposed to a regular stout, I wasn't exactly expecting the Bell's Java Stout, but I did expect the coffee to be noticeable. It was not. I tasted Imperial Stout throughout. There may have been bit of something roasted trying to come through in the end of each sip, but from the opening of the bottle through the significant warming at the end of 22oz. There just was not enough coffee in the flavor to warrant this beer being called a coffee stout. Solid Imperial though.

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours pitch black, with a small, but lingering tan-colored head, not much lacing left behind in the glass. Smell is coffee, dark chocolate, and maybe some plum/raisin aromas in there, too. Dark, roasty espresso taste, some cocoa powder taste, some slightly burnt coffee notes in there....hot damn!! This is quality. Makes me wish I still drank coffee! The high ABV means this one is for sharing and sipping. Certainly not something I'd be drinking a lot of, but I would seek this one out again for sure. Southern Tier continues to impress.

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Wow, what a huge beer and one that is underrated in my book. One of their best offerings in my opinion. Pours black with a tan head that sicks around. Smells of rich, strong coffee with cream. Some malty sweetness and roasted notes, but not charred like some other in the style. Taste is similar. This and Peche Mortel are the most intensely coffee like stouts out there that still preserve some balance and ar ssuper high quality. This one is creamier than Peche Mortel, which I personally think is key for some balance. Nice rich creamy mouthfeel, not hot from alcohol, but still strong and massive. A sipper.

4.49/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks to EliteDigger for the chance to try this one. Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a Great Divide Yeti chalice. Beer was black in color with a silky espresso colored, one finger head.
Soft carbonation and little lacing.

Aroma was divine with notes of coffee, chocolate, roasted grains, molasses, vanilla and wood.

Taste was good coffee, vanilla and lite chocolate. Slightly bitter finish.

Very creamy and smooth in the mouth. This would be a great brew to warm you up on a cold night. Highly recommended.

3.89/5  rDev -4%

Got this one from beeronthebrain, who is MIA, cheers to Khen where ever he is.

Pours ebony with 3+ fingers of brown head. Average lacing & minimal head retention

S: Chocolate, coffee grounds, booze, & roasted grain

T: Burnt grain, coffee grounds, dryness & bitter chocolate up front. Some dryness, leafy hops, toasty malt & booze as this warms. Finishes very dry with, raisins, booze & astringent coffee. The finish hurt this a bit

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation, becomes oily & chewy as this warms

Drinks good, the 12.0 abv, shows after a while, but still worth a a few pints. A good Imp stout

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

22oz bottle poured into my Duvel tulip

A: Pitch black with zero light coming through. There's a gorgeous dense brown head on this one. This is about as black as you can get - reminds me of the Mikkeller Black

S: Coffee, chocolate, mild fruit - plums and raisins and a hint of rum. Smells surprisingly balanced!

T: Massive coffee up front - strong and delicious that slowly fades revealing cream, chocolate, plum and a long and bitter finish. This is my favorite coffee stout - excellent stuff.

M: Full with adequate carbonation. Great finish

D: This is a 12% beer that drinks like a 7% beer. I wish it was a 7% beer. I'm going to pay for my excesses!

I shall repeat - my favorite coffee stout. Grab this!

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. 05/23/08. Brewed Winter 2008.

Pours nearly pitch black. A moderate pour produces a two finger tan head. Smell is kinda disappointing for a coffee stout. There is coffee in the aroma, but I also get a lot of chocolate, which kinda masks the coffee a bit.

Where the aroma lacks in coffee, the taste definitely makes up for it. Tons of coffee and espresso flavor. Also lots of chocolate, both milk and dark. Very subtle bitter hop finish. There's also some heat from the high alcohol.

Fell is nice and thick and smooth. Carbonation is low-medium, feels about right. It leaves a bit of stickiness around the mouth. Drinkability is alright. The bitterness and stickiness kinda build up after awhile and get to be a bit much. Also, the high ABV is noticeable and it's pretty heavy.

Not the best coffee stout, but a very good one. If you like coffee and you like stouts, definitely give this a try.

4.37/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Pretty darned close to black. Strong light shows the darkest of cola. Off white baileys cream colored small head. Thin lacing throughout.

S - Coffee, of course. Tons of coffee. Under thread of chalky cocoa.

T - Much like the smell. Coffee mixed with exceptionally creamy but dark cocoa. Yes.

M -Medium Full body, great coating and perfect carb for this beer.

D - I am almost done with my bomber and I wish I had another. LOL.

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Another good beer from Southern Tier, although once again I think the excessice alcohol hurts it a bit. Had on tap at Max's during American Craft Brew week.

The beer pours a solid black color with excellent head retention and lacing. Not unexpectedly, one gets a huge aroma of coffee in the nose. That's really just about all I get as the coffee aroma dominates everything else. On the palate, again not unexpectedly, there is the huge presence of coffee. I also get a bit of cherry and vanilla, but the beer comes across as a bit hot from the high abv. The alcohol is really quite noticeable in this beer (which I find to be typical of many ST beers), and affects the mouthfeel as well. Maybe this beer will improve over time, but today it's a big ragged on the palate and not as smooth as I was hoping/expecting. As noted above, I get some heat from the high alcohol and ultimately had a difficult time finishing the beer. Again, the high alcohol really hurts the drinkabilty of this beer.

A nice beer from ST, but more and more I'm finding it difficult to deal with the excessively high abv. in their beers.

3.74/5  rDev -7.7%

This guy's been in the fridge for almost a solid year now... just waiting for the call. A brutal week of jury duty demands a reward, and this brutally strong stout is looking real good right now.

We'll serve this at between fridge and cellar temperature in a tasting tulip. The label on this bottle is weird... the lettering is *sliding* around, I can push the words and graphics around with my finger... pretty random.

Appearance- Holy crap... the head on this beer is *deep* brown... full and foamy, three fingers in height, it stays put. It pours black with ruby red highlights, and rather viscous.

Smell- Huge aromas of cherries and molasses, with notes of wet cardboard evident as well.

Taste- Decadent beyond words. Sweet and malty, chocolatey with burnt espresso beans sizzling the palate... yet finishing with a hop bitterness that would impress any Dark Lord fan out there. I'm impressed as hell that after holding on to this for so long, albeit cold, the hops still taste so green and fresh. I can already surmise that half of this bomber is going right back in the fridge... each sip feels like 1000 calories and 24% abv.

Mouthfeel- This texture is exquisite and damn close to perfection... and the more it's rolled around in the mouth, the better it gets. It's thick to begin with, yet it's still pure liquid. Once you swish and chew it, satori is within reach.

Drinkability- This beer will leave you wrecked if you're not careful. Ego warned me, he made it clear to be prepared for a dark ride into oblivion... I'd suggest pairing this with cheescake, strawberries, just not chocolate itself. And for God's sake share this with others... I've got the other half of this bottle heading straight back to the fridge for another time.

2.86/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours very deep brown bordering on black with a head that barely reaches up the glass. The nose yields a mild choclatey coffee smell, but so far not a whole lot to keep me interested. The coffee is mild at first that begins to poke out a little more as I work through the glass, but enough to satisfy me that it is an imperial coffee stout. There is also a mild roasty character to the beer and very little hint of the 12% ABV. It leaves a sticky, creamy, smooth feeling on the way down with very little carbination tickling the tongue. Overall, I felt a little let down by this beer. I was expecting more of a coffee flavor to be present and consider this brew to be a little below average considering the advertised style.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

bomber poured into large snifter

A: dark. dirty motor oil with a one+ finger tan head. i love that tan/coffee/mocha looking head

S: creamy coffee aroma. milk chocolate and faint vanilla

T: coffee, cocoa powder, roasted malt and caramel

M: full body, creamy smooth with a little bitter aftertaste

D: a tasty sipper. the abv is well hidden but I still find it enjoyable over a period of time. The more it warms, the tastier I find it.

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Painted 22 oz bottle. Brewed Winter 2008. Label indicates "Arabica Beans." Cascade & Columbus hops. Jamaican roasted coffee.

Pours with a black used motor oil hue topped with a surprisingly settled khaki cap.

Nose is light roast and coffe hint but not over powering.

First swigs: Wow! That's coffee! big time coffee. Roasty malt and sweet soupy huge sugar. Molasses sugar, and no hint of the 12% ABV.

Full bodied and tight dense carbonation.

Last swigs: Not the mosty roasty toasty brew but solid and impressive. I do not know how ST hides their ABV % the way that they do. Amazing.

Beer is good. Happy coffee beering.

2.51/5  rDev -38%

Why all the hype on this one? Maybe 06 and 07 were better, but the 08 batch leaves much to be desired.

Maybe I fell victim to the "beer hype," but I had healthy anticipation of a great Imperial Stout. This "JAHVA" tasted nothing like coffee, smelled nothing like coffee, and was runny and liquidy like a cola.

The pour into a snifter left a bit of head initially, but it soon dwindled to that runny, cola texture. The color was nice--a deep brown caramel color, but then the first whiff left me confused.

The bottle boasts a rare coffee infusion, but on the nose, this smells very bland. Alcohol dominates the nose, and I was not surprised at all to immediately notice the lack of coffee flavor on my first sip. I warmed the glass, hoping for an improvement, but--as is the case with below average imperial stouts--the quality decreased even further as it warmed.

I had to make myself finish the beer (to rationalize dropping $9 on this waste of a bomber), which is a horrible testimony.

This beer got me mad. Let's step it up next year Southern Tier!

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

My first taste of this brew occurred at the library on Fillmore, if you can honestly believe that. This is the 22 oz purchased at the local consumers (sheridan dr.).

Poured cleanly into a pint glass. Nice charcoall and aroma with hints of chocolate and coffee. Both are guilty pleasures, mix them with an imperial beer, and its heaven.

First sip, nice. Not too overly impressive, but a nice kick to end a session. Yes, this is a night cap. Very smooth going down and a nice aftertaste. Aroma aplenty.

cheers fellas, another classic from the southern tier (brewing company)

enjoy.

3.06/5  rDev -24.4%

This is a brew that I find lacking in outstanding or even good characteristics.

I am surprised with how muted the coffee aroma and taste is.

There is a lot of char that overwhelms the rest of the flavors (although a little chocolate peeks out).

The carbonation is too high...feels gassy...

Not a real pleasant finish...harsh/rough around the edges...sharply alcoholic.

This one isn't for me. One of the few ST beers I haven't enjoyed.

With all that said this isn't the worst beer ever made. I just expect big things from an Imperial Coffee Stout and this lacks.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours with a dark almost opaque body. Hints of translucency peer through the edges. A pleasant aroma of roastiness and a slight ethanol aroma. the taste is bitter and bold, warming with the Jamaican coffee lingering on the palate. A delicious stout.
Although the bottle suggests a serving temp. of 48 degrees F. I would suggest serving it warmer (50 degrees F or so)to really taste the many nuances of high-alpha hops and bitter coffee.

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Pours black midnight with a slightly orange like head that dissipated into a sparse cap. The aroma is of ice coffee, big and roasted, wet bark, vanilla bean, expresso. The taste is of deep bakers chocolate, dark stuff here, major Italian roast coffee, kaluha, mocha, anything coffee. Very roasted coffee flavors here so I give major props for that. The feel is very well bodied with semi-soft carbonation, finishes with a coffee bitterness. I love coffee in the mornings and I almost need to have it. Does this make me a coffee beer lover, I'm not so sure. BUT this is one fine coffee stout which can't get much better. Nice and robust with excellent roasted flavors. That said I could only drink one of these but that same goes with the Chokolate, which is damn fantastic.

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Drank from a 650 ml/1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Connecticut Beverage Mart, Newington, CT
Brewed in Winter 2008

Poured a viscous, inky black with brown edges when held to the light. A frothy film of cocoa colored bubbles disappeared within seconds.

The aroma was outrageous. "Coffee rich" hardly does justice to describe it. Freshly brewed coffee initially came to mind, yet later I would say the aroma was more akin to sticking you nose into a bag of freshly ground coffee beans.

The taste was terrific yet not as intense as the aroma (but that is not saying much). Ultra smooth with deep roasted malts up front. Black coffee and oak came through in the center and were balanced off nicely by some creamy and sweet (brown sugar and toffee) notes. The finish was slightly hoppy and resiny with deep roasted malts and oak coming through as well. A piney aftertaste lingered. As the beer warmed, some bourbon characteristics became noticeable and the hoppiness seemed to intensify in the finish.

The mouthfeel was outstanding. Ridiculously full-bodied, creamy, frothy and luscious on the palate with a fine, mild carbonation. Mouth coating.

Drinkability was simply astounding for a 12% ABV beer. If I did not know any better, I would have guessed it to be around half this percentage.

This is a super tasty, smooth and immensely enjoyable beer. The only knock I have against it is that it is not terribly complex. Like many of the other beers in Southern Tier's "big beer" series, this one is very focused. Fans of both stouts and coffee should definitely take a liking to this gem.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Very dark brown. Large khaki colored moussy head. Good retention despite the high ABV.

S: Nose is full of malt. No hop aroma. Dark fruit esters are very high. Alcohol is apparent. Coffee doesn't make an appearance.

T: High roasted malts deliver a nice sweetness. Esters are very high in the flavor again. Little to no-hop flavor but there's a strong hop bitterness. Some breadiness competes with the bitterness in the finish, but ultimately loses to the hops. Aftertaste of unsweetened baker's chocolate. Coffee is absent again.

M: Luscious. Body is very high, coating. Medium-high alcohol warmth. Medium carbonation.

D: This is a very good imperial stout but I'm completely missing any coffee notes. The high bitterness from the roast malts and high hop bitterness make this a bit difficult to quaff.

Photo of
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

22oz. bottle

Poured an opaque, brown/black color, with reddish brown edges when held to light. Modest, tan colored head. No lacing, good legs.

Alcohol, chocolate and toffee. Coffee, but nowhere near as strong as I was expecting. Earthiness. Grass and herbal notes.

Coffee, but nowhere near as much as Peche or KBS. Alcohol. Sweet molasses. Vanilla and chocolate. Faint herbal bittering at the finish.

Full and creamy mouthfeel. Light carbonation. Dryer than expected. Noticeable alcohol warming.

As a stout, very tasty. As a coffee stout, lacks the level of flavor I would expect.

Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company