Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale)Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by rarevos on 09-24-2006

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Big fluffy white head and a body that gradients from pale gold to deep hazy amber. Quite pretty.

Smell is... remarkably pineappley. I don't really smell anything else. As the head dissipates, I kinda get applesauce instead.

Taste is kinda tart, kinda pineappley, and kinda oaky, with tropical sweetness and woody bitterness. A bit like a hoppy pina colada. It's interesting and not really what I expected.

Mouthfeel is thick; carbonation only becomes evident when aerated.

This is... odd. I go into a hefeweizen, I think orange, maybe apple or banana, coriander... pineapple is different. Reading the bottle, I guess I get the Czech hop character, but it's an interesting choice for something this thick. I think I approve.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

A-Cloudy orange, one finger head

S-Orange, wheat, spices, some hops.

T-Extremely malty, sweet wheat, orangepeel, cinnamon. Ends with some bitterness, easily an overhopped Hefeweizen.

M-Medium bodied, some carbonation.

O-Wayy to malty, the hops a flavorful but just do not go with the beer. Southern Tier really needs to kick this out of the rotation and bring back UberSun,

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a hazy orangish-gold with little head. Smell is sweet and spicy like bananas and cloves. Taste is heavy, sweet, and malty. I get bananas and maybe pear or apple. This beer is far more malty than one would expect from a hefeweizen, but it's not a bad thing. Mouthfeel is thick and full bodied. This beer is well put together

It's not what you typically find in a hefeweizen, but anyone who enjoys a malty full bodied beer will enjoy this.

4.27/5  rDev +10.6%

Wow this beer got some real hate lately. I happen to enjoy it.

A - A bit darker than one would expect but it is an imperial after all. With a light pour I managed to get no yeast in my 16oz weizen glass. Head is minimal but lacing is awesome.

S - First sniff I wonder what it was since indeed it is spicy. After much thought I figured it must be roasted barley with a touch of wheat, almost like a rye only more spicy. There is mild alcohol of course and a touch of candied banana's

T - Taste starts off sweet with banana's then only for a moment does it get a bit spicy with the cloves and roasty barley but it quickly again turns sweet with candied banana like taste with touches of caramel.

M - Almost surreal as I detect no alcohol in this. Drank like a normal hefeweizen.

Overall I guess I got a relatively newer bottle since indeed it does have a touch of sediment in the bottom but nowhere near enough to become overbearing. With little yeast taste, mostly sweet and very nice spiced aroma's, I do believe ST has won my praise again. A very nice take on an imperial.

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

The pour was nice,light and hazy in color with a nice cap of white hanging over the top of the glass. Nice rich looking head of foam on the top of the glass here now as well, nicely done I have to say. Aroma immediately is a bit boozy with hints of grass, touches of hops, and a light fruit note that seems to pick up the warmer it gets. Interesting flavor profile as well here. Not at all what I was expecting. Hints of grapefruit, a touch of herbal, floral notes and a really nice and well laid out malty background. Quite nicely done I have to admit. Warming seems to bring out touches of pear and apricot and a definite grape flavor finishes it off rather nicely.

Overall a very solid and very strong ale here. Light in body but it packed a wallop. Definitely a one and done for me.

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%

Had this on tap at the brewery on 7-3-10. The beer was a cloudy yellow with a fairly nice sized head on it. I drank this without any fruit added. The beer probably would have been pretty good with a wedge of orange in it but I got the beer and that was all. This beer was a pretty standard hefeweizen. Couldn't honestly tell that it was an imperial in some way.

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

A - Cloudy light amber, apricot. Low head for the style. Ok lace.

S - Booze, green raisins, molasses.

T - Brown sugar, caramelized bananas / bananas foster, plantains. Soft malt. Toffee.

M - Medium body, pleasant carbonation. Creamy and smooth. Finishes sweet.

O - Fantastic drinkability for 8%. Delicious and smooth.

Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company