Hoppe (Imperial Extra Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Hoppe (Imperial Extra Pale Ale)Hoppe (Imperial Extra Pale Ale)
82%
Liked This Beer
4.03 w/ 521 ratings
Hoppe (Imperial Extra Pale Ale)Hoppe (Imperial Extra Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company

4.03/5
Alströms:

4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

A-Hazy golden color...1/4 inch creamy white head

S-Big tropical fruits( pineapples...tangerines...peaches...) along with some fresh pine notes..outstanding hop aroma...

T-This is not very bitter but includes an abundance of juicy hop flavors...pineapples lead the way but the tangerines, peaches and pine are all present along with an herbal/tobbaco-canibus element as well. The malt lends a soft, yet sweet biscuit like component.

M-It's amazing how smooth this is. Perfectly balanced. I love the way this exudes hop flavor rather than harsh bitterness.

D-Drinks like it is 5% but has the weight of a bigger beer. I just keep saying to me myself "wow is this good" over and over as I smell it and drink it. An outstanding, highly hopped, yet not overly biter beer. A must try.

4.95/5  rDev +22.8%

Well, because of recent changes in Three Floyd's distribution in Ohio, I have been forced to explore new beer options. As of late, I think I may have found another amazing, quality brewer ~ Southern Tier...

No freshness date on this bottle.

It pours a light orange/copper color with nice ΒΌ inch white head. Very attractive looking...

The smell is amazing. I got pounded with a wave of pineapple, grapefruit, white fir trees (I say "white fir" (or a concolor) tree because I have a Christmas tree in my living room that smells VERY similar!!!) and sweet malts. I felt like I was walking through an orange and ruby red grapefruit orchard! For a 10 percent ABV beer, I only get the slightest bit of alcohol on the nose.

The taste is phenomenal. It's an explosion of bitter citrus, balanced with just the right amount of hops. The aftertaste continues the bitterness, leaving an orangy, waxy citrus on my tounge.

I'm a hophead, so I can definitely say this is in my top 10 of all time favorite beers to enjoy. If you're a fan of powerful/full flavored hops, this beer is for you.

4.92/5  rDev +22.1%

Lemon yellow sun. Bright and shiny. Bubbly ivory white head leaves an appropriate web-like lace trail. A majestic nose of glorious hop traits. Tangerine and other citric goodies. Bright and bold. Cannabis and other pungent, resinous and oily scents. And light aromas of caramel malts and alcohol. The focus of the flavor is the hops as well, even though the bitterness isn't overwhelming. The hops are bright and exhuberant. The tangerine and grapefruit are there as are the pungent niceties. Great hop attributes. They are backed up properly by a solid but not intrusive malt base. The alcohol is barely noticeable. This beer is awesome. My favorite of the Southern Tier line so far, and that is saying something. This brewery is getting dangerously close to my Top 10 list. Hell, they could be in it already...

4.87/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Beautiful 2+ finger white head over a half-way cloudy gold brew. Retention is good and lacing is nice.

S: Smells very good. Nice grapefruit smell and a little bit of grainy malt. Hops are definitely apparent, and smell delicious. It just makes me want to drink the crap out of it.

T: Strong strong hops backed by a really nice kick of grapefruit. Bitterness is full on - not for the weak. Interesting grassy flavor after swallowing. Alcohol is there, but is covered up nicely by the other flavors.

M: A little too carbonated, but tolerable. Medium-bodied. Almost non-astringent.

D: Extremely refreshing. I will be purchasing lots of this I'm sure.

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

6/17/2007 $5.75 22 oz. 10.00% No best by date.

Appearance:

Brilliant clarity on a medium brown body with fine, champagne like carbonation that yields an inch of fluffy white head that is slow to settle.

Aroma:

The name speaks volumes here: this is up front in your face hoppyness, with grapefruity hops winning the race there. Underneath it though is a sweet buttered biscuity aroma, which lends this an air of nostalgia, making it all the more appealing.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Huh, I did a doulbe take on this one, because it's been so long since I tasted something so perfect. With all of the carbonation, you would think this would be coarse, yet it dances like a cloud across my palate (I gave the mouthfeel a 5, but only because I couldn't go any higher; it's that good). As it does so, it imparts some of the most heavenly flavors I've encountered in a beer: at one moment blisteringly bitter from the citrusy hops, then turning nicely sweet. There are tropical undertones present, then there is a pine sensation, with a nice biscuit thrown in.

It sounds haphazard, and as if the whole thing would be a mess, but the flavors mesh together so well that I have no choice but to rate this a masterpiece. I've enjoyed everything Southern Tier has thrown at me so far, but this truly floored me in its excellence. The high ABV is nicely masked to boot, so you might find yourself drinking a few of these ambrosias. Run, do not walk to the store to get your hands on this one.

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours: yellow with slight tint of gold and a small head that disappears rather fast

Aroma: sweet fruit & hoppy smell

Taste: several burst of flavor from different types of Hops

Mouthfeel: medium, sweet but not strong

Drinkability: smooth and enjoyable. The aftertaste leaves you wanting more

Serving type: 22oz bottle

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

Every once in a while I drink a beer that hits on all cylinders and this beer does just that. Perfectly balanced and way too drinkable; hoppe is a work of art in a bottle. The aroma is so fresh and inviting that you can't wait to take a sip. The delicate but pronounced floral hop element strokes the tongue in an almost sexual way. It's got just enough malt and alcohol to balance out the delicate nature of the hops without overpowering them. The mouthfeel is both crisp and warm at the same time. The aftertaste has a beauty and delicacy that lingers long but doesn't destroy your palate.

This is one of the best beers in the world.

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a medium blond color with a one-finger head into my pint glass.

Aroma is full of floral and grassy hops. A bit of grapefruit/citrus touch to it as well.

Taste is full of grassy/floral hops upfront with a pronounced bitterness that is so epic, I can't quite describe it. A nice amount of biscuit malt shows through but otherwise, this is about the hops. Oddly enough, the hops do not overpower this beer.

Mouthfeel is full of the lingering grassy/floral hops with a nice touch of mint (!) to compliment the hops. Alcohol is well hidden, which makes this beer more quaffable than sippable.

I have to admit that this is quite drinkable for the style. Reminds me of the Imperial IPAs that The Alchemist produces: Drinkable and full of hoppy goodness. I'm sure that UnEarthly is much bigger than this but you definitely need to check out Hoppe. I can honestly say that this is the kind of Imperial IPA that I've been waiting for in bottle form. Unless the Alchemist bottles (and they never will!), this is the closest I'll get to hop heaven in a bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

I'm confused as to what and Imperial Pale Ale consists of. Perhaps a restrained hop characteristic? In any case, this ale poured a nice gold color with some soft amber highlights. Beautiful white head that stays. Smell is floral and citrus hops with some alcohol presence.
Taste - Okay, this kind of tastes like a very well balanced IPA with a bit of an alcohol bite. Good citrus hops taste balanced by delicious malt with a deep alcohol warmth. I could drink this all night. I then realized after finishing a bomber that the night would be over quickly if I had a few more. I was shocked to find that the beer is 10% ABV. Had me fooled. Great, wonderfiul ale.

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

Purchased from the wonderful people at Winooski Beverage Wharehouse in Vt.

I may be partial to extremely hoppy imperial IPA's, so I expect my review to be a little biased, but this beer really wowed me.

Poured bomber into a imperial pint glass to maximize the hops, and surprisingly found that it was not overpowering, but a wonderful fresh hop aroma that is well balanced considering the spiciness.

More pale than expected, a light head with intermittent lacing(may be due to the glass-traces of H2O).

On first taste, it is beautiful hops, offset by a mild malt finish on the central tongue with a crisp grapefruit edge. No alcohol overtones.

Listed at 8%, and found myself wishing it was less so I could make it a session beer. This is a beer that can really get you in trouble. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on steroids. A palate killer. So what. If you love hoppy Imperial IPA's, you won't want to move away until you or the beers are finished.

This is one of those beers that really sets US brewers apart from others when it comes to Imperial IPA's.

Drank again after a few of weeks and have to rerate. Like pliny/e, needs to be very fresh, or the floral hops just vanished and the balance is gone. Not nearly as good, but then again, have finally had some west coast brews that blow this away.

22oz. bottle

Pours a rich, golden color with a peachy hue. Thick white head thins and leaves dense, sticky lacing behind.

Aroma is a sweet blend of citrusty hops that still manages to leave room for a mild caramel malt background smell. Smells very fresh.

A burst of citrusy hops roll in upfront, and give a little leeway to a very lenient bitterness. Plenty of IBUs with no harsh bite. A nice amount of caramel malt taste still manages to find some room on the dance floor. Wow, amazing balance and complexity - AND - extremely fresh tasting to boot.

Full body, creamy texture, high carbonation.

What a treat on an otherwise rough Monday. I could easily drink a few of these, although the ABV is a little prohibitive. It's a 10% ABV, but it drinks like something closer to 6%. Superbly balanced. This is an extremely well crafted brew. Highly recommended.

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

poured into a flaired tulip glass from a 22oz brown bomber crimped cap.Screened painted label reminds me of a Rogue label has a lot of info about the beer on it.

Slightly hazy,light copper color. Creamy white head the kind you can control by the pour,lots of staying power. Very tiny bubbles tightly knit streaming all around the sides of the glass with streams also surging fron the center.Clumps of lace down the sides of the glass.

Sugary,fruity aroma grapefruit/pinapple some toffee,toasty malt aromas also come through. Has a slight tinge of grain alcohol. .Very pleasing clean and fresh. One of those aromas you can't pull away from.

Lots of complexity at first a bit overwhelming. Leafy,oily hoppiness,piney,grapefruit with a tangerine like citrus taste. Sugary taste throughout,slightly burnt,with sweet carmell/toffee.Finishes clean,astringent with a very sharp,grapefruity,citrusy taste lingering The alcohol is well hidden just a hint. Amazingly well balanced,the taste reminds me a bit of their Unearthy.

Very full and very creamy mouthfeel. Execellent drinkability for a beer this big. Put down a bomber like it was a 12 oz bottle. Has such a creamy mouthfeel goes down dangerously easy. Be carefull with this one. Highly recomended if you like double ipa's although the bottle says imperial extra pale ale.

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

First off thanks to the Southern Tier sales reps in Pittsburgh market very good people that put up with me at the Penn Brewfest this past year, so thank you Carl and Karen. Appears a beautiful copper glowing tone poured into my Augustjin chalice forms a large off white cream colored head forms thick atop the beautiful body leaves easy to pick out bands of lace with each sip very defined and intricate in the lace department. Aroma contains a perfumey wild tartness with grapefruit citrus peels a simply awesome smell to it somewhat of a musky sweetness white grapes bright sweet malts come off somewhat vinous like I stated but man this is great stuff this one will keep you hunched over smelling your glass. Flavor I see why this one isn't labeled a DIPA despite it's ten percent abv and 83 IBUs because it's brewed so well that nothing seems over the top really comes off as an Imperial Extra Pale Ale. Flavor is consumed with light bready malts with biscuit caramel highlights this beer deliver American hops throughout the experience grapefruit, mineral earthiness, and a healthy dose of flower power overcomes this beer wow I'm loving the hoppe that is this beers highlights I can't wait to try Backburner Barleywine, the alcohol in this brew is evident but it gives off the deepest hop burps despite the balanced flavor. Mouthfeel is great silky smooth literally, with carbonation that floats on the palate I'm well aware of the medium bodied ale that seems amazing to me. Drinkability overall comes off so well that the 22oz drains itself without a problem great stuff I'm craving more that's a good sign I will be back to the beer store before these seven dollars sell out great stuff.

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

Golden body with hints of orange, steady carbonation, a bit of haze,and a healty three fingers of dense white foam. Sticky lacing.

Aroma of bursting clean juicy citrus fruits is clear at arms lenght.

A big slab of sweetness slathers down the center of the tongue. Juicy and bitter hops scrub the inside of your cheeks and teeth. An airy burst of wheat parachutes in from the top of the mouth. It all comes together at the swallow and merges into a light and tingly aftertaste. Ten percent alcohol ? No way, surely you kid, I sense nary a trace. Everything just fits together perfectly.

Thickish mouthfeel that somehow keeps rolling along. Dangerous doesn't begin to describe the drinkability.

Take a damn fine DIPA, and add that rarest of creatures, a good American Wheat, which serves to lighten without diluting. Hard to convey perhaps, but thats what I'm getting here. Heartily recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber into nonic.

Slightly hazy golden ale with an eggshell white thick and frother two finger head that slowly settles to a thick cap, leaving solid lines of lacing behind.

The malts are in the background, but they only set up the base for a very sharp and citrusy hop aroma. Flowery esters are also mixed into the aroma.

Spicy hops are the dominant flavor in this one, masking the malts and the alcohol very well. In addition to the bitter flavors, the hops also produce a very sweet offsetting flavor. Behind the hops are some mild grain. Full bodied with a mild amount of carbonation. The beer feels very thick and oily. The flavor finishes off with some lingering citrus hops.

Even with the high %ABV, it's well hidden by some very tasty hops. I wouldn't say this one is balanced or all that complex, but it's such a delicious beer it's hard to set down. I think the ASA style categorization of this one is correct, although one could argue it's a DIPA or Barleywine. I would say since it's not as malty, it's not those, but a Strong Ale.

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy deep gold with modest head that dissipates slowly.

Very balanced nose, the typical overpowering hops aren't as evident here as in other brews of this style.

Extremely well balanced for this style. Just a delight to the senses. ABV is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and clean.

Very drinkable despite the alcohol. Highly recommended.

Hoppe (Imperial Extra Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company