Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 2,000 | Ratings: 7,706

Outstanding and the name knows it. I typically do not like pumpkin ale's except form the well know experts but this blew me away. Reluctantly paid $5 for the pint bottle at Costco and now on my 8th or 9th, and I hate pumpkin pie. Great taste that'snot too heavy, plenty strong and natural flavors - not that artificial taste and just heavy enough. Best I've had

A - Pours an clear orange color, with a minimal 1/2 finger off white head. I have brewed beers like this and I have no idea how they get it so clear with all of the pumpkin and spice that must go in there.

S - Smells of spice, clove, ginger, and pumpkin pie.

T - The taste is a lot like the smell. There are a lot of flavors going on, from clove, to all spice, to ginger... and of course pumpkin. The alcohol, even at 8.6% is non-existent. A joy to drink

M - The mouth feel is medium / heavy. There is a slight sweetness that coats your mouth too.

O - This is hands down my favorite pumpkin beer. It's rare that any beer can have this many flavors going on without anything being overwhelming. Stock up, because in a month or 2 you are going to want another and it'll be gone...

A: 5/5 Poured from a 22oz bottle into a frosted 22oz mug. Winter is coming and I'm ready for some pumpkin!!! The beer is bright with a creamy head.

S: 5/5 Cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pumpkin, caramel, brown butter, walnuts, gram cracker and the crispness of autumn. What more could you possibly ask for???!

T: 5/5 All the pumpkin spice in the world and the booze gives it a rum quality. Fantastic!

M: 5/5 Creamy like pumpkin pie

O: 5/5 Best pumpkin beer ever!

Pumking is such a tasty beer. The spices added only enhance the flavor and make it truly a unique brew. I'm not sure why this isint rated higher, becuase it's the best one out there. Not to mention Southern Tier refines it every year and makes it better, Pour it into a tall stein and enjoy!

Let me sum this up - easily one of my new top few favorite beers. Anyway....Got this 22oz bomber at my job for $5, but it's standard $7.99 in New Jersey. Poured into a standard household 16oz glass. Basically room temp, maybe 50 degrees (honestly I could picture this beer being good heated up...just sayin')

Appearance- Orange/copper and super transparent. Head was made of oddly larger bubbles and head dies down quick, but can make a comeback when swirled. Not much lacing, but enough to let you know it's alive.

Smell- smells like Fall. Very bold pumpkin and a little spice. As far as hops go, I think they left them somewhat out of the question. (a little for preserving, i'm sure) tiny bit of alcohol, but extremely pleasant.

Taste- Out Of This World. Very bold beer with lots of pumpkin. Literally during a sip it transitions from, "ok, I get a lot of pumpkin" to Wham! more bold pumpkin, spice, well rounded alcohol, and overall autumn-y goodness. The aftertaste has a nutmeg, clove, and a modest amount of potpourri. Well distinguished flavors and a well tamed alcohol. It's like drinking pumpkin pie.

Mouthfeel- somewhat thick, with a mild sweetness. has a thick backbone to it on the finish.

Overall- If you see this and don't know if you want to spend the money...do it. That's my only beef with it is the price (case of 12, 22oz'ers in NJ is $90, $7.99 a pop) However, completely raises the bar for fall beers. It seems every other fall seasonal is just mediocre at best and I haven't fallen in love with any until this.

This would totally be sessionable if it weren't so high in ABV, but i'm a one or two strong beer per night drinker so I will no doubt be buying more.

Truly, this is one of the best pumpkin ales of all time. If you're really in a mood to travel to pumpkinland this is arguably the #1 choice. I'd rate Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale at a close #2 (easier to casually down 1 or 2 of those whereas this you really need to be in the zone to take on a Pumking bomber). Punkin Ale edges out Pumking in the spice department, but Pumking takes the cake in true pumpkin pie flavor. I've had the opportunity to try several other pumpkin ales already this fall, and all were fairly decent (Smuttynose's offering probably being the best out of that batch). Where do I start with Pumking? This is not for the fainthearted first of all. This is a thick, strong concoction that will leave you feeling like you just devoured the tastiest pumpkin pie of all time. It has a good balance of spices and a thick layer of caramel. The pumpkin taste is perfect and the ABV on this bomber is 8.6% so you WILL be buzzed if you are a lightweight. Drink responsibly. The guy that orders for my area in metro Chicago failed to order these last year and I had to order them (at a high price) from a couple stores out East. This time they are not playing around, and DiCarlo's up in Mundelein managed to get like 20 cases. Let's send Southern Tier a message that this is a hit (much like Punkin Ale), and have them ship more of these bad boys out here ASAP! Cheers to all, and may you all enjoy this wonderful fall season, arguably the best time of year for beer aficionados.

I have tried at least 15 different pumpkin ales and this one is by far the best. Tastes like pumpkin pie with whipped cream in a bottle but yet still tastes like beer and is 8.6%. I was blown away at how smooth and creamy this beer was. It is quite pricey at $9 for a 22 oz bottle but if you are a fan of pumpkin beers, it is worth every penny.

I don't typically like pumpkin style beer but this is awesome. When people ask me what it tasted like, tell them it tastes like someone took the best pumpkin pie you've ever had topped with cinnamon and sugar whipped cream and poured it in a glass.

This is my most favorite beer. I wish it was available year round.

The alcohol content is extremely well masked. You have to keep good count of each glass you drink of this.

A- clear orange and when held up to the light, unsurprisingly it's the same color as a pumpkin! Gee whiz! Beautiful ecru head holds steady, scoffing the alcohol while leaving thick rings of drippy lace. I can already tell its gonna be worth all the hype.

S- Dizzamn. One little sniff turned me out like a ho. There's something in here that I'm not used to smelling in a pumpkin ale. At first my brain said brown sugar! Aha! Brown sugar in the mix! Then I start thinkin graham crackers then honey then pie crust and then I realize that it smells remarkably similar to their creme brulee stout. So could it be vanilla that sets it over the edge? I guess we'll never know. Ok so beside all that we have cooked pumpkin, those sweet cream filled pumpkin cake cookie sandwiches (called punkin gobs round here) and trace amounts of allspice and nutmeg. I can't really admit to detecting any cinnamon but lord this smells like some sort of pumpkin breakfast cereal and its amazing. Guess I should mention the background of toasty caramel malt, slight hop earthiness and floral alcohol.

T- sweet and toasty, earthy and woodsy like the dried leaves of autumn covered in cake frosting. Cassia flavor seems to come through with nutmeg and the peppery side of allspice and of course more vanilla. Toasted marshmallow, honey, sublime citrus pith hop bitterness mingled with the right amount of floral and pineapple alcohol, with a back and forth tug of war between sweet and bitter. It's like no one can win so they say hell with it, and it ends up tasting like a cookie. Finishes like a cookie. A pumpkin sugar cookie with a sprinkle of hops.

MF- slippery and juicy with a bit of a texture to it but very tight prickly carbonation scrubs the palate clean even though the bubbles aren't aggressive. Alcohol warmth is felt in the chest and dryness in the cheeks. I'm imagining fresh squeezed pumpkin juice with some vodka and spices idk I'm weird.

D- in my neck of the woods, the only beer that created such hype was Great Lakes Xmas, but now it's available at every grocery store, bar, and drive thru. This year, pumking jumped in and suddenly everyone was asking me where to find it, if I could get it on tap, etc. It was nowhere to be found, as if all the bars with access to that particular distributor hogged up the limited supply for my area. When all hope was lost for us to even TRY it so see why it is in such demand, one of my buddies found a ridiculously decent supply at a local and very unassuming store that will for now remain nameless. Best pumpkin ale I've ever had, flat out. Whatever gives it the cookie sweet aroma and balance of flavor is what wins. 8.6 abv isn't huge, but this one is still extremely drinkable. Take me away, lord Puca.

Quite simply one the best beers I've enjoyed. Very strong malt flavor throughout. It smells like the mash step of homebrewing mixed with pumpkin pie spice. The taste is full bodied with strong malt flavor with overtones of pumpkin pie. Very smooth finish for the ABV.

I made it a goal to try as many pumpkin ales as I could last year. I got around to trying about 10 of them and this beer was the best of them all! I am starting my BA career by reviewing my two favorite beers ever GL Christmas Ale and Southern Tier Pumking. I was excited to pick up a growler of this and yes it is August and I hope to have this world class pumpkin ale while sitting by the fire in October. The appearance is orange with kind of a brown tint. It smells like pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving day while watching the Lions! I get a scent of sweet cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin. This world class brew tastes Exactly like it smells. It is the most flavorful pumpkin ale I have tried. It is smooth, sweet, majestic and not bitter at all! I recommend this for anyone who wants to try an amazing fall seasonal beer! It is truly one of a kind. I look forward to trying more Southern Tier beers! At 8.6 % it warms you up on a cool fall night.

First review, yet probably the 1,000th time I have been here. Never cared enough to comment/review on a beer yet, till now.

Appearance: 5
Why? Its just as I expect from a Pumpkin Beer. Golden orange. Perfect hue.

Smell: 5
Why? Its literally what I wanted/expected from a Pumpkin Beer. The smell is what I have been looking for, and haven't found till now. It smells like a deliciously heavy, thick cut of pumpkin pie with no room for negotiation.

Taste: 5+
Why? Ive had many "Pumpkin Beer"s, but none ever tasted what I originally imagined. I imagined a pumpkin pie, blended into a carbonated liquid, having characteristics of a beer. This is the first go that actually has a pumpkin taste. Usually its all "Pumpkin Spice" on top of an OK beer...or worse. This however, is an Autumn Lovers delight. You can taste pumpkin, as well as allspice, cinnamon, touch of nutmeg, even a hint of ginger. It tastes as it smells, like a freaking piece of delicious pumpkin pie, but less sweet. I just bought a whole case of this, its gold. My first sip was experiencing scratching a three year itch. I finally found what I had imagined to be out there. It was literally a dream come true. I cannot sing its praises enough. There is the initial "Wow..." followed by "Holy crap...FINALLY!!!" It is the ideal balance between the spice and the natural pumpkin flavor. Mild carbonation, heavy heavenly flavor. This is for lovers of complexity, pumpkin, spice, and Autumn/Harvest.

Mouthfeel: 5
Viscosity is about what I expected: complex and lightly effervescent. It feels thicker and more substantial than most, yet it does dissipate quickly. I would say it is similar in feel to Midas Touch. Carbonation is light and quick. This is a rich velvet that finishes clean.

Overall: 5+
This is a literal dream come true. When I first heard that such a thing existed as "Pumpkin Beer" this is literally what I dreamed of. All of the others have more or less sucked. The ONLY widely distributed brand that I haven't tried in this area is DFH, and I hope to try their entry soon. All of them suck. This blew me away. I bought out all but 1 beer that my local store had on hand. Was 11 total. Kinda large expense...but sooo worth it. Ive never just said, give me all you got, carte blanche, but I did, and I feel more than great about it. It is everything I wanted and more.

If you like pumpkin pie, pumpkin anything, and wished your love of pumpkin was also in sparkling, liquid form, LOOK NO FURTHER. This is all you have to know: THIS IS PERFECT. This is what you have been dreaming of. This is what is in the pot at the end of the rainbow.

From beginning to end this beer is by far the best pumpkin flavored beverage i've ever had. Shipyard pumpkin ale is great too, but Pumking blows it out of the water. This beer is not too heavy, it's a perfect size to drink at an event. The only bad thing about it is that it might lose it's chill after holding on to it for a while, but so does any large beer of the same container.

One of my favorite beers. Great flavor with the pie crust smell as you open it and perfect for a fall night. They weren't afraid to have a lot of flavor in this beer which I appreciate as so many pumpkin beers are too subdued. Split a bomber with the wife or drinking buddy.

Pumking is the beer for a pumpkin pie lover. Of all the pumpkin brew varieties I've had, Pumking hits the highest on the pie-like taste meter. It also packs an ABV punch so we are feeling just fine after a full glass. Ages well too, in case you see some extra stock at your retailer and you can't wait until the current year's release. Cheers.

I was a little dissapointed when i saw that the ABV percentage got knocked down again...im pretty sure 3 years ago it was 10%.

But either way at 8.6 it is still rather boozy.

All in all this is the most gorgeous smelling and tasting beer on the market if youre going for pumpkin or sweet. There is no argument that this is the best pumpkin beer on the market.

I consider myself a Pumking advocate, ive introduced countless friends to this brew and everyone freaks out everytime.

It's like drinking a boozy slice of pumpkin pie!

After trying many different pumpkin ales through the years this is definitely the best ever! I was a little unsure about this 9% abv pumpkin beer but after you have one taste you know this stuff is great. The appearance looks great, the smell is amazing with the smell of hops, pumpkin, and spices. The taste is a mouthful of flavors with lingering suprises after you take a drink. The mouthfeel has a nice body but not too rich or thick and not too thin or watery, just right. For a 9% abv beer it is very easy to drink, I counldn't see having any problem sitting down and drinking a few bottles (22oz) of this stuff. It is truly the best pumpkin ale ever made and is rightfully named as the Pumking! Southern Tier once again creates a masterpiece of a beer. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future.

This is by far my favorite beer that I have tasted. The Pumking is the perfect drink during the fall with great pumpkin, cinnamon, and vanilla flavors. Great to have with dinner or just having a casual drink. I can't wait until this is on tap again!

Poured deep orange with 1/2 thick head that lightly dissipated. S:rich pumpkin pie crust with cinnamon and nutmeg. T: almost spot on with how it smells; pumpkin pie crust with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and slight hints of allspice. I have to admit, I'm a fan of the sweeter craft seasonal beers, and this is one of them. Best pumpkin beer I've had to date. Absolutely amazing.

I love this time of year...the taste of pumking what i expect a pumpkin beer to taste like. And unkike some pumpkin beers its not too sweet, smells like pumpkin and tastes like pumpkin...with a great after taste of cinnamon and spices. Definitely at the top of my list!

I love pumpkin beers and this one took the cake. As soon as you hold it up to drink it the smell of fall goodness is right there! I have tried many different ones and this is hands down my fav. Southern Tier is one of my favorite brewery's. I just recently found them and have liked everything i have tried. I'm not sure how I missed them!

Poured into a duvel at brouwers in seattle.

Appearance- Beautiful orange color with a finger of Whipped cream colored head. Leaving layers of head as you sip it down

Smell- pumkin pie with a hint of maple, nutmeg, cloves and allspice

Tatse- very forward with pumkin with subtle notes of maple, cloves and nutmeg.

Mouth- very smooth, creamy and full bodied

Overall this is a great beer, have with dessert or just for dessert Goes down almost to good.

I'm not sure what the brothers were thinking on this one..ha.

Nobi Public House in Webster, Texas hosted a special event yesterday and brought this out. I made time to be there to try it and a couple of other hard to get brews.

This one was easily my favorite. WOW!

I wasn't sure if I'd like having a pumpkin ale in the spring, but I'd drink this one year round. What a treat.

The smell and taste are just perfect on this beer. I love Saint Arnold Pumpkinator... and I feel this beer even leaves it behind in the pumpkin category.. though they are quite different to look at and taste even.

Overall scale of deliciousness.... EXTREMELY DELICIOUS!

So glad Southern Tier is now available in Texas!

Special thanks to Dan from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for busting out this 2007 vintage 22 ounce bottle...
After samping dozens of pumpkin ales, hands down, I must conclude that this is the best one, and most realisitc depiction of true pumpkin flavors...
Pours a bright-orange, light-copper hue with a minimal head that left plenty of lacing around the serving glass...
One whiff, and whoa - this is the real deal... the aroma and taste are so authentically pumpkin, - its amazing... No other pumpkin ale comes close to representing a true-to-the-flavor and style pumpkin pie...
Malts, custard, cream, hops, caramel, and various other spices contribute to an all-around amazing variation of the style...
Some of the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle include "caramel malt" and "pureed pumpkin"...
Great mouthfeel, and perhaps one of the best features about this beer was the fact that despite the hefty 9% ABV, no alcohol was detected at all - just real pumpkin flavor...
Outstanding stuff... This one is in a class of its own...
Definitely recommended...

Anyways like I was saying, Pumking is the drink of drinkers. If you like pumpkin pie, pumpkin stew, pumpkin salad, pumpkin bourbon, pumpkin eggnog, pumpkin yogurt, pumpkin pepper, pumpkin gumbo, pumpkin deep fried, pineapple pumpkin, pumpkin kabob, pumpkin and potatoes, Cajun pumpkin, pumpkin salad, pumpkin ice-cream, pumpkin gelatin, pumpkin oil, pumpkin butter, pumpkin fries, pumpkin on the barbie, pumpkin and pumpkin, this drink is for you. Always a favorite around Halloween, it's the perfect chilling drink.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company