Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Reviews: 1,917 | Ratings: 7,357

Oh my god, this is by far the best pumpkin beer I've tried so far. There are a lot of negative comments but I think it is delicious. When people said its liquid pumpkin pie I was skeptical but boy was I wrong.
A- golden orange body with white head, very good looking in my belgian snifter.

S- smells just like pumpkin pie! Graham cracker pie crust, Cinnamon, nutmeg, and scrumptious pumpkin. Smells so good.

T- oh my god, so good. Pumpkin pie spices, graham cracker, some vanilla sweetness and an awesome sweet after taste.

M- mouthfeel is almost creamy, coating the palate. Decent amount of carbonation.

O- despite all the negative feedback, now that I've actually tried it, I'm hooked. Its such a good desert beer, I hope my beer store still has some bottles cause I need a few in the cellar and in my fridge. 5 out of 5 with no doubt.

Poured from a 650 ml bottle... @ room temperature...

Appearance: A nice copper color with very little carbonation, much like a draught beer.

Smell: As 'Steigede' mentioned, pumking smells like 'Eggnog'...

Taste: Nutmeg, Cinnamon... 'followed by'... a strong taste of Malt, Hopps and Alcohol.

Mouthfeel: pumking enters your mouth with a feel of any other beer and then suddenly, you experience an explosion of creaminess. As you start to swallow pumking, the creamy feel is overtaken by seasonal flavor of Nutmeg, CInnamon and Pumpkin...

Overall: I'll give and overall score of 5.0. Kudos to 'SOuTHERn TIER' for an AWESOME 'Seasonal' (Halloween / Christmas) alcoholic beverage... Definitely worth a try!!!

Note: Absolutely love the pumking bottle label... WICKED!!! :P

Pumking is such a tasty beer. The spices added only enhance the flavor and make it truly a unique brew. I'm not sure why this isint rated higher, becuase it's the best one out there. Not to mention Southern Tier refines it every year and makes it better, Pour it into a tall stein and enjoy!

This is by far my favorite beer, period. I've tried numerous pumpkin brews this previous yr and this stomps them all without question. Anyone who says this beer tastes like candy corn, do not pay attention to them! I've disliked candy corn all my life and this beer tastes nothing like it. I'll leave u with this image/taste in ur head... Are u ready? Graham cracker vanilla-flavored Wheaties. Yes Wheaties the cereal. Think about it.

I don't typically like pumpkin style beer but this is awesome. When people ask me what it tasted like, tell them it tastes like someone took the best pumpkin pie you've ever had topped with cinnamon and sugar whipped cream and poured it in a glass.

This is my most favorite beer. I wish it was available year round.

The alcohol content is extremely well masked. You have to keep good count of each glass you drink of this.

Quite simply one the best beers I've enjoyed. Very strong malt flavor throughout. It smells like the mash step of homebrewing mixed with pumpkin pie spice. The taste is full bodied with strong malt flavor with overtones of pumpkin pie. Very smooth finish for the ABV.

This Pumpkin Ale is by far my favorite one on the market. I'm so in love with it. I can drink two bottles in a row (over the course of two hours). I LOVE that whipped cream/pie crust flavor it carries. The traditional pumpkin pie spices are there but not too overpowering like MOST pumpkin ales (breweries that just jump on the bandwagon and care little about crafting good beer). The candied pumpkin flavor accompanied by the bitter hops merges together beautifully. I hope Southern Tier never changes their recipe. It's flawless. I purchased a whole case of this beer last week. Talk about pricy, but hey, that's how much I love it, and my book royalties covered it. :D

Pumking beer review

I love seasonal beers, be they in the spring, summer, fall or winter, but this by far is my most favorite seasonal beer. I have tried many of pumpkin beers, all of them unique and enjoyable, but this is deserving of the title of "King of Pumpkin Beers". I've had this remarkable brew several times, and finally brought a bottle home to review. First off, this beer is amazing...it really smells and tastes just like a slice of pumpkin pie. There is an opaque creamy head when first poured into the tasting snifter. The color is a crystal clear orange, absolutely clear of any haze or sediment. The aroma is absolutely heavenly, with a mix of cinnamon, cloves and of course pumpkins. The taste is, well, you better get off your ass and find a bottle of this extraordinary ale before it's all gone.

Wow, if you like pumkin pie, try this...What a great fall beer to warm the pallet and watch a game! This is one of my favorite seasonal beers to bring in Hallow's eve, if you get a chance it's a must have! It's hard to find so good luck it sells out before you can tell your friends.

Anyways like I was saying, Pumking is the drink of drinkers. If you like pumpkin pie, pumpkin stew, pumpkin salad, pumpkin bourbon, pumpkin eggnog, pumpkin yogurt, pumpkin pepper, pumpkin gumbo, pumpkin deep fried, pineapple pumpkin, pumpkin kabob, pumpkin and potatoes, Cajun pumpkin, pumpkin salad, pumpkin ice-cream, pumpkin gelatin, pumpkin oil, pumpkin butter, pumpkin fries, pumpkin on the barbie, pumpkin and pumpkin, this drink is for you. Always a favorite around Halloween, it's the perfect chilling drink.

I know all 5's should be rare. But to me, this is the pinnacle of Pumpkin Beers. I will never attempt to brew one, because I really think I can't do better than theirs.

A- Unobtrusive amber coloring. As expected

S- Amazing. This smells like pumpkin pie. Even though this is cold, it's still wafting the flavors I'd expect of WARM pumpkin pie.

T- Even more amazing. It TASTES like pumpkin pie. The spices are spot on for anyone's grandmother's recipe. It has a thicker, more syrupy consistency, typical in my experience to Imperials, so it's definitely best served chilled. But it's not too overpoweringly syrupy, so no reason to freeze the flavor out. Slightly chilled should suffice, to fully experience the beer.

M- Carbonated with a touch of syrupy imperial goodness

D- As with most Imperials, it's a one and done deal for me, they quickly can turn on you. But you can kill a whole bottle of this and feel satisfied at the end of the bottle, not choking down the last drops because it's starting to get overpowering.

Between this and their Creme Brulee, Southern Tier is a personal favorite brewer. Love it.

Truly, this is one of the best pumpkin ales of all time. If you're really in a mood to travel to pumpkinland this is arguably the #1 choice. I'd rate Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale at a close #2 (easier to casually down 1 or 2 of those whereas this you really need to be in the zone to take on a Pumking bomber). Punkin Ale edges out Pumking in the spice department, but Pumking takes the cake in true pumpkin pie flavor. I've had the opportunity to try several other pumpkin ales already this fall, and all were fairly decent (Smuttynose's offering probably being the best out of that batch). Where do I start with Pumking? This is not for the fainthearted first of all. This is a thick, strong concoction that will leave you feeling like you just devoured the tastiest pumpkin pie of all time. It has a good balance of spices and a thick layer of caramel. The pumpkin taste is perfect and the ABV on this bomber is 8.6% so you WILL be buzzed if you are a lightweight. Drink responsibly. The guy that orders for my area in metro Chicago failed to order these last year and I had to order them (at a high price) from a couple stores out East. This time they are not playing around, and DiCarlo's up in Mundelein managed to get like 20 cases. Let's send Southern Tier a message that this is a hit (much like Punkin Ale), and have them ship more of these bad boys out here ASAP! Cheers to all, and may you all enjoy this wonderful fall season, arguably the best time of year for beer aficionados.

First review, yet probably the 1,000th time I have been here. Never cared enough to comment/review on a beer yet, till now.

Appearance: 5
Why? Its just as I expect from a Pumpkin Beer. Golden orange. Perfect hue.

Smell: 5
Why? Its literally what I wanted/expected from a Pumpkin Beer. The smell is what I have been looking for, and haven't found till now. It smells like a deliciously heavy, thick cut of pumpkin pie with no room for negotiation.

Taste: 5+
Why? Ive had many "Pumpkin Beer"s, but none ever tasted what I originally imagined. I imagined a pumpkin pie, blended into a carbonated liquid, having characteristics of a beer. This is the first go that actually has a pumpkin taste. Usually its all "Pumpkin Spice" on top of an OK beer...or worse. This however, is an Autumn Lovers delight. You can taste pumpkin, as well as allspice, cinnamon, touch of nutmeg, even a hint of ginger. It tastes as it smells, like a freaking piece of delicious pumpkin pie, but less sweet. I just bought a whole case of this, its gold. My first sip was experiencing scratching a three year itch. I finally found what I had imagined to be out there. It was literally a dream come true. I cannot sing its praises enough. There is the initial "Wow..." followed by "Holy crap...FINALLY!!!" It is the ideal balance between the spice and the natural pumpkin flavor. Mild carbonation, heavy heavenly flavor. This is for lovers of complexity, pumpkin, spice, and Autumn/Harvest.

Mouthfeel: 5
Viscosity is about what I expected: complex and lightly effervescent. It feels thicker and more substantial than most, yet it does dissipate quickly. I would say it is similar in feel to Midas Touch. Carbonation is light and quick. This is a rich velvet that finishes clean.

Overall: 5+
This is a literal dream come true. When I first heard that such a thing existed as "Pumpkin Beer" this is literally what I dreamed of. All of the others have more or less sucked. The ONLY widely distributed brand that I haven't tried in this area is DFH, and I hope to try their entry soon. All of them suck. This blew me away. I bought out all but 1 beer that my local store had on hand. Was 11 total. Kinda large expense...but sooo worth it. Ive never just said, give me all you got, carte blanche, but I did, and I feel more than great about it. It is everything I wanted and more.

If you like pumpkin pie, pumpkin anything, and wished your love of pumpkin was also in sparkling, liquid form, LOOK NO FURTHER. This is all you have to know: THIS IS PERFECT. This is what you have been dreaming of. This is what is in the pot at the end of the rainbow.

One of my favorite beers. Great flavor with the pie crust smell as you open it and perfect for a fall night. They weren't afraid to have a lot of flavor in this beer which I appreciate as so many pumpkin beers are too subdued. Split a bomber with the wife or drinking buddy.

I made it a goal to try as many pumpkin ales as I could last year. I got around to trying about 10 of them and this beer was the best of them all! I am starting my BA career by reviewing my two favorite beers ever GL Christmas Ale and Southern Tier Pumking. I was excited to pick up a growler of this and yes it is August and I hope to have this world class pumpkin ale while sitting by the fire in October. The appearance is orange with kind of a brown tint. It smells like pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving day while watching the Lions! I get a scent of sweet cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin. This world class brew tastes Exactly like it smells. It is the most flavorful pumpkin ale I have tried. It is smooth, sweet, majestic and not bitter at all! I recommend this for anyone who wants to try an amazing fall seasonal beer! It is truly one of a kind. I look forward to trying more Southern Tier beers! At 8.6 % it warms you up on a cool fall night.

A-pours a light creamy orange color with a one finger white head
S- an overall smell of pumpkin, cinnamon and spices
T-great creamy pumpkin flavor toasted spice
M- very well balanced
O-this beer is what every other brewer is trying to become. Can't believe ABV it's hidden well

From beginning to end this beer is by far the best pumpkin flavored beverage i've ever had. Shipyard pumpkin ale is great too, but Pumking blows it out of the water. This beer is not too heavy, it's a perfect size to drink at an event. The only bad thing about it is that it might lose it's chill after holding on to it for a while, but so does any large beer of the same container.

This beer changed my feelings about pumpkin beer. The aroma of cinnamon and spices was so pleasing, but the taste was even more wonderful. I've tried many pumpkin beers out of sheer curiosity, but this was by far the best with a full well balanced taste of pumpkin, and spices.

Most of the other pumpkin beers tasted seemed to taste mostly like beer with a hint of pumpkin or spice. This felt like it delivered, and certainly lives up to its name as the Pumking.

4.99/5  rDev +24.4%

made me feel like fall was here as i drank it. it's a little early in the season, but i could not resist. this really should be enjoyed once the weather and trees start changing.

definitely one of my favorites and look forward to it every year. very nice pumpkin taste with very good spicing and a slight yam taste.

Appearance: very light and little head
Smell: spice, pumpkin and slight yam
Taste: great fall spices that turn to a nice pumpkin in your mouth

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

This is the pumpkin beer by which all others should be measured. It's rich amber color is warm and inviting. The aroma let out becons memories of thanksgiving desserts past. Some may say it is too sweet for a food pairing, but I disagree. The brewers at souther tier have found the perfect balance of spices and seasoning to make the Pumking by far the best seasonal brew i have ever tasted. It is in short supply for Rhode Island so the wife and I bought a case of 22's. I highly recommend picking up a bottle, if you can find it.

Poured from 22 oz bomber into Goblet:

A: Light copper to burnt orange color with one finger of frothy off-white head. Interesting shade, with a lot of the pumpkin beers being darker.

S: Graham cracker. Little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in there as well. The smell lets you know that you are in for a real treat.

T: Graham cracker, pie crust, vanilla, and biscuity malt that comes alive and gives it a rich buttery taste. Taste like your grandmother's pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream put into a blender and poured into a glass. Alcohol is practically non-existent in the taste though. It actually gets better as it warms up. Phenomenal! Its actually too good. Im now concerned that after drinking this one, that my capacity to enjoy any other pumpkin beer will be diminished.

M: Rich, buttery, full-bodied, creamy, and thick...but not syrupy or resinous. Just perfect.

O: This beer is the best pumpkin beer I've had and one of the top 5 overall beers I've ever had. The Schlafly was really good, but this is the one against which all pumpkin beers are measured. Drink carefully though. It tastes good enough to slug down, but it is still a 9% ABV brew. Cant wait to revisit this one!

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

I always respect Southern Tier's flavored beers. I'm usually not a fan of such, as I dislike the overbearing stickiness of many flavored beers; however, I felt adventurous that particular day, and I have had many of Southern Tier's brews before and they did not disappoint.

When I poured the beer into my glass, the first waft of pumpkiny goodness hit my nose and I was absolutely floored. It smelled like a cold pumpkin pie, settled with all of the appropriate spices. It had a nice head to it, a really pretty color, and most importantly, it didn't have that overly-carbonated feel to it that many other beers have. I was so excited to try it!

The first sip I had didn't offer as much punch as I had expected, but I realized that it possibly be due to my olfactory senses being overwhelmed by such awesomeness. By the second or third sip, I was in beer heaven. It tastes like pumpkins, fall-time, and everything I love about the autumn season. I couldn't believe the amount of smoothness and the robust, yet playful flavors. Yes, "robust yet playful" is extremely cliche, but there are no other words. I finished the whole thing faster than I should have and soon opened another.

Whatever price you have to pay for this beer, pay it. Seriously, it's like Southern Tier is the Wonka Factory of beer.

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

Pours a deep, burnt orange with little head retention. Great color for the style. Some lacing, but not much.

Huge, sweet bouquet of butterscotch, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and pumpkin. They're really going for the pumpkin pie thing here, and nothing says this more than the satisfying aroma of graham cracker pie crust. Interesting scent to convey in this brew. Some biscuity malt pokes through, but this is more about the insane spicing. All around robust aroma notes here.

It's on the sweeter side with spice notes dominating the palate. Cinnamon up front with a nice malt backbone, finishing with a mild balancing bitterness. The above-average booze content is well-hidden in both flavor and aroma.

Body is full and very creamy with pleasant carbonation. Smooth and chewy. Excellent for the style.

Impeccable shot at imperializing an autumn classic. Smells unlike any pumpkin beer out there. Overall very creative, and delicious. A hair away from being 5s across the board.

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

Served in a 20 ounce English style pub glass from a bottle.
A) Mahogany hued, with hints of red, looks more reminiscence of and aged bourbon in color then a beer. Full finger of head that quickly losses retention. Very little lacing, but this was drank very slowly so others may have a different experience in that regard. Looks malty.
S) Full pumpkin pie onslaught, as it should be for a pumpkin beer. Sweet, rich, bready, no real smell of hops to my nose. Decadent. Dessert in a glass.
T) Very true to it's smell. deep pumpkin, molasses, apple pie spices of clove, nutmeg, ginger. Strong malt presence, very little bitterness. More balanced then I expected, not as sickly sweet or flabby as I thought it would be. There is no mistaken this beer for anything else then what it is.
M) Full and round. Very pleasant mouthfeel. Medium bodied, more like a porter then a stout in this regard, but definitely thicker then a average ale.
O) A really good example of this style. Pumpkin beers can be disappointing when they do not have a pumpkin flavor that clearly shines through, and this one really delivers. Improves as it warms in the glass. I bought three bombers and will wait till late fall to enjoy the other two. This will be perfect sitting next to a fire.

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

A: Nice deep thick Amber Orange that is very admirable before the first sip.

S: All I can say is that this one of the most aromatic beers I have ever tried. I was really floored by this one! This is sweet spiced up pumpkin pie if I ever smelled it in a glass. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloved pumpkin and a huge presence of caramel and toffee. This is one hell of a sweet smelling beer, I could sniff it for ages.. ahhhh

T: It was descibed to me as pumpkin pie in a glass, and boy was I not disappointed. This is one serious, seriously delicious beer. Top 3 all time for sure. After this, all Pumpkin beers are tame and shit. Well not shit, but they are Princes in the court compared to the almighty King! IF you have never had this, you have not had the best Pumpkin beer. Schlafly is close, but its a good leg behind this one for sure.

M: Medium bodied to Full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Pretty smooth with no alcohol heat. Very sweet and very tasty throughout. Like friggin Candy in a glass. No lingering aftertaste that makes me want to retch like some pumpkin beers out there.

O: My FAVORITE PumpKin beer by far. There is a reason this sucker sells out in less than 20 minutes in my area. 6 cases in 17 minutes, there was a long line so I was told. No one had it, I tried 6 shops, and if it wasn't for that faint whisper of a beer angel in my ear that told me to go inside Westover Market and see if they might might have it on tap, was I in luck. Seriously.. It was a buck an oz on draft. Well worth the price. I got two!

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company