Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Reviews: 1,917 | Ratings: 7,355
4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

A: Nice deep thick Amber Orange that is very admirable before the first sip.

S: All I can say is that this one of the most aromatic beers I have ever tried. I was really floored by this one! This is sweet spiced up pumpkin pie if I ever smelled it in a glass. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloved pumpkin and a huge presence of caramel and toffee. This is one hell of a sweet smelling beer, I could sniff it for ages.. ahhhh

T: It was descibed to me as pumpkin pie in a glass, and boy was I not disappointed. This is one serious, seriously delicious beer. Top 3 all time for sure. After this, all Pumpkin beers are tame and shit. Well not shit, but they are Princes in the court compared to the almighty King! IF you have never had this, you have not had the best Pumpkin beer. Schlafly is close, but its a good leg behind this one for sure.

M: Medium bodied to Full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Pretty smooth with no alcohol heat. Very sweet and very tasty throughout. Like friggin Candy in a glass. No lingering aftertaste that makes me want to retch like some pumpkin beers out there.

O: My FAVORITE PumpKin beer by far. There is a reason this sucker sells out in less than 20 minutes in my area. 6 cases in 17 minutes, there was a long line so I was told. No one had it, I tried 6 shops, and if it wasn't for that faint whisper of a beer angel in my ear that told me to go inside Westover Market and see if they might might have it on tap, was I in luck. Seriously.. It was a buck an oz on draft. Well worth the price. I got two!

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, bright copper color. Has a medium-sized, frothy head that dissipates slowly and leaves some decent lacing.

Smell: Wow! This might be the best smelling beer I've ever had. Definitely pumpkin and spices like all pumpkin ales, but also some toasty malts, vanilla, and a bit of nuttiness. It actually smells like a complete pumpkin pie. Intense!

Taste: Damn. The flavor lives up to the aroma in every way. Rich pumpkin and spice flavors backed by a considerable buttery, toasty malt flavor, vanilla, and nuts. It tastes like the best pumpkin pie I've ever had!

Mouthfeel: A medium-body with a smooth, creamy feel.

Overall: Sweet Jesus! How long has this beer been out? Why haven't I had this before? Why can't I drink this every day? I'm usually pretty skeptical about pumpkin ales, but, man, this is an absolutely fantastic beer. So many complex flavors come together to create a great finished product. I can't recommend this one enough.

4.95/5  rDev +23.4%

I don't usually drink pumpkin beers because of there overpowering taste of coriander . This beer has a very nice color almost like an Octoberfest but more red. The smell is that of fresh baked sweet pumpkin pie. Poured into a tulip glass or pint glass ( tried both) served at 40degrees. Taste notes nutmeg , coriander, pumpkin vanilla and cinnamon and sweet. Nothing is out of balance this is a perfect pumpkin beer. For 2012 Southern Tier nailed the Pumking.

Pumpkin pie + Beer= Pumking
I knew this was a great brew as soon as I popped the top and took a whiff, then continued to pour and consume. This was dessert in a bottle, I would love to try the draught if I can find it. The 9.0 abv is sure to warm your cool fall nights, try it if you find it.

4.95/5  rDev +23.4%

pumpkin pie in a glass, tons of nutmeg and a pinch of cinniman with generous amounts of pumpkin in the mix, so far this is the king of the mountan as far as pumpkin ales go. this has flavor for days. the alcohal is hiden well in this one is a beer amoung beers, the top shelf no question. this is a beer i will buy ten of so that i can have them all year long.

4.94/5  rDev +23.2%

This is by far the best Pumpkin seasonal I've ever had, and Im glad this was picked up this year.

A: Poured into sam adams 25th anniversary pint... a light hazy orange with one finger head that bubbles then dissipates quickly. Leaves no lace.

S: Sugar and spice and everything nice haha. Pumpkin pie in a glass. The smell is breathtaking..

T: Perfect. whipped cream,nutmeg, slight pumpkin, sugar and spices. Not too pumkin-y, which is great in my opinion.. some pumpkin beers are too much of that in fact, this one has balance and is very unique. The flavor really grows on you as it warms a bit to 40-45 degrees seems perfect.

M: Spicy and creamy. Hint of the alcohol on the finish which really rounds this one out.

Overall....
Southern Tier really nailed this one on the head. Perfection in a bottle. Dont think I can ever get enough.
Wish they had this stuff on draft at bars nationwide. Its excellent!! By far one of my seasonal favorites.

4.94/5  rDev +23.2%

Poured from a 650 ml bottle.

Pumpkin in color; color is a brown orange. 1 1/2 finger slightly off-white head-its practically white until you observe it under intense scrutiny. Looks to be a full bodied ale.

Candy caramel, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and vanilla. Oh, did I say Pumpkin? Graham crackers ad pie crust are also apparent. Yea, you can't miss that. Hops are not very apparent, but who cares, it smells dilicious.

Vanilla and caramel with cinnamon and nutmeg. Creamy, butterscotch taste in the finish. Tangy, bitterness in the after taste which I can attribute to hops, which are magnum and Sterling according to the label. This beer is so good, like liquid pumpkin pie. 9%, never evened noticed until I re-read the bottle.

Mouthfeel is creamy like a Frapacino and thick. The balance is incredible between creamy and thick. Anybody would love this texture. Still a slight carbonation bite.

I know, this is a huge review. 5s almost accross the oard. I do believe, however, that on BA we review according to the style as well as personal taste. This is perhaps one of the better pumpkin ales out there. It beats the heck out of Bufalo Bill's, O'Fallons, Blue Moon... weriously, nothing can touch this brew. Don't believe me, go try some, become addicted, and support the brewery to make more of this year round. Truly exceptional.

4.94/5  rDev +23.2%

On tap at Roadhouse BBQ (same owners as the Publick House) in Brookline, MA.

A- The beer came with a small, creamy head, but left a decent amount of lacing.

S- The first thing that blew me away was the smell. Lots of sweetness with prominent pumpkin notes. The pumpkin smell really came through, which is unusual for these types of beer. I find that most pumpkin beers smell more of other spices (cinnamon, cloves, etc.) rather than pumpkin.

T- Like drinking pumpkin pie! I was surprised by the immediate burst of pumpkin flavor when the beer first hit my tongue. The other spices did a good job accentuating the pumpkin flavor without overwhelming it.

M- I found this beer a little thicker than I expected. Not quite full-bodied but thicker than other pumpkin ales that I have had. The pumpkin flavor and sweetness linger for a bit after drinking.

D- Wonderful. This beer goes down easily and is a joy to drink. If I could recommend one pumpkin beer to try this autumn, this wold definitely be it.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

Picked up a bomber at Riley's here in Madison for a reasonable $5.99 for a high-gravity seasonal. Very glad to have Southern Tier distributed in town.

Pour: deep amber/copper in hue, crystal clear visibility, with a healthy 3/4 inch of wispy off-white foam that fades to a spotty film and ring.

Nose/Taste: Simply unbelievable. The most robust, consuming, crawl-up-your nose and rub it in pumpkin pie I have ever experienced in a beer. Freshly whipped cream, crumbled graham cracker-oatmeal crust, ground nutmeg and allspice, and roasted pecans. Genuine baked pumpkin/winter squash and a lingering caramelized malty finish complete one of the finest all around beer experiences I have had to date, pumpkin or not.

Mouthfeel: Dense but smooth and uncloying.

Drinkability: Fantastic - the 9% is unnoticeable on the palate. Just a phenomenal beer that I will certainly revisit this season before it disappears from shelves

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

Wow this is good beer. It smells like candy but it's not overwhelming. The taste has a flavors that are very familiar but the way they're arranged really leaves you wanting one more taste and one more smell.

My friend owns a beer and wine shop and I was first introduced to this brew from him. His store sold out and I found a local market chain that had some stock. That didn't last long as we bought out the remaining 22oz cases they had available.

This stuff is one of the better beers I have tasted

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. Pours a clear orange with a finger of head. The aroma, wow...powerful stuff, with nutmeg, pumpkin, and brown sugar showing through. The taste is outstanding, with those same aroma flavors showing through, all coming together to give it a pumpkin pie with graham cracker crust type flavor. The mouthfeel is light bodied and well carbonated, it hides the ABV very well.

This has just become my favorite autumn beer, I'll have to get some more of this. Top notch stuff from Southern Tier.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

A: dark reddish brown. Left a tannish head that hung around a while. Excellent lacing.

S: very spicy. Smells like clove nutmeg cinnamon. Pumpkin pie all the way.

T: delicious best pumpkin ale I've ever had hands down. The high gravity sweetness really comes out and blends perfectly with the spices to create an authentic pumpkin pie beer.

M:thick and creamy like an imperial spiced beer should be

O: one of my favorite beers of all time

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

I keep buying 22oz bombers from Capone's whenever I'm there. Also had this on tap at the Craft Ale House. I'll tell you about both. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint from the bottle, 10oz Snifter at the Ale House.

Appearance: Phenomenal. Golden orange color, just like a pumpkin. Almost seems like it glows in the right light. Bigger, foamier head on-tap than I could get from the bottle, but very nice nonetheless. Hangs around seemingly forever on-tap, and leaves great lacing. Not much of a drop off from the bottle either.

Smell: Goodness gracious. Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin muffin, Pumpkin bread, it's all there. Dominant spice aroma of nutmeg, allspice, a lot of cinnamon and brown sugar. Faint hints of pumpkin in the nose but it all smells so good together that the intense spice aroma is by no means a turnoff. This really shines on-tap, but the bottle is no slouch.

Taste: Unreal. The flavor profile of this beer follows the aroma very well. I pick up a lot of brown sugar and cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg and allspice. Sweet, but not cloying. In addition to everything else I already mentioned, I think it tastes a lot like Spiced Wafers.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and Creamy. Sweet. Mild carbonation and medium bodied. Not boozy at all, just a slight warm alcohol feel as it goes down.

Drinkability: I've heard a lot of people think its too spicy. I personally could drink this all night. I had several of these on tap and buy bottles whenever I can. Hands down the best Pumpkin ale, imperial or otherwise, out there.

God bless you Southern Tier. One of the top 3 beers they brew.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

big thanks to beerman777 for this one. I love this beer. And with a year on it, the complex flavor profile has really come into its own. I may want a case of this next time.

A: Poured a hazy light brown with orange highlights. Thin off-white head that receded quickly.

S: It smells amazing. Pulped pumpkin, sweet potato, graham crackers, nutmeg, fresh bread dough. I love that they didn't kill this with too much spice like most pumpkin beers.

T: A lot like what comes through in the nose. Pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust, nutmeg, toast, allspice, and a little touch of caramel. Seriously impressive.

M: Medium bodied with delicate carbonation.

D: I dig this. I would drink a ton of this if it were available in the Bay Area.

Autumn, 2011.
Poured into a tulip glassware

A- Lively bubbles, Beautiful bright orange, slightly cloudy. Not much of a head at all.

S- This has got to be one of my favorite noses. Big Bread, pumpkin, nutmeg. rich, full and savory. Biscuit malt.

T- Delightful. Pumpkin pie. The bread and biscuit nose follow through in the flavors.

M- Creamy and carbonated, more carbonated than I recall from last year.

O- Great Brew. Best Pumpkin of the Year, again. Get one now.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

This is one of the best pumpkin ales I ever had.

I spent more time smelling this ale then drinking it. The smell is like a pumpkin pie when it comes out of the oven.

The taste is very pleasant like your eating a piece of pumpkin pie. Very nice hint of all spice and cinnamon that are balanced perfect.

I thought the drink ability was great you could sit down and have several of these on a fall day while watching the leaves change colors.

Very nice semi orange color with a nice but not to thick foam on top when poored from the bottle.

Great Job by the Southern Tier Brewing group on this Pumpkin Ale!!!

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

A: Pumking pours into the glass a clear burnt orange color with a nice foamy head. As the foam subsides it leaves a thin white lace. The color alone screams of pumpkins and fall flavors.

S: The smell is the real show stopper here. Its heavy on the sweet graham cracker followed by cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and then the pumpkin sets in.

T: The taste thank goodness is exactly like the smell but with an initial bite that lets you know this is still a beer and not some juice. Graham cracker crusted pumpkin pie is the only way to describe it. Absolutely fantastic.

M: The mouth is best described as crisp with a bit of bite on the back end. The after is a bit watery with a smooth finish and a lingering graham cracker on the taste buds.

O: Overall id say pumking is the KING of the pumpkin beers i have enjoyed thus far. Definitely a great brew.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

From the stellar Southern Tier, my yearly highly anticipated Pumpkin brew. My father bought an entire case after tasting it.
Pours a vigorous carbonated tone of light orange-pumpkin color. Amber, creamy head lasts, Highly appealing
Aromatics really take this beer to the upper echelons. Colder- pumpkin, nutmeg, grahmn cracker, pumpkin pie, nutmeg, cloves,brwon sugar, really pumpkin pie in a glass.Warmer and the spices really come through. nutmeg cloves ginger allspice, musty fall leaves, roasted pumpkin. Superb
Flavor is enough to make you just sit back and drink without speaking. Roasted pumpkin, nutmeg, brown sugar, grahmn cracker, clove, creamy pumpkin pie, all mingle with a great malty backbone.
Imagine the flavor of the perfect pumpkin pie-sweet, yet spicy, balanced thick, light at the same time.
I have bought many other pumpkin beers trying to find one to compare to, but Pumpking is heads and shoulders above the rest.
Cheers to the "king"

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

I love this beer. In my opinion there isn't another pumpkin that even comes close. It has such a wonderful aroma that you can't help but take huge mouthfuls. In comparison, most other pumpkins smell and taste either utterly empty and without substance, or fake, as if they used nothing but artificial flavors.

A - Golden, toasty brown, yet still somewhat light. Nicely opaque with a medium-small head and light lacing.

S - The aroma immediately hits in you in the face. It's unlike any other beer in the way it allows each flavor to come through. It has all the usual suspects that you expect from both an autumn and pumpkin beer. It's an engrossing aroma that you won't forget.

T - It's just damn delicious. I don't generally lean toward sweet, but this perfectly captures what a pumpkin pie tastes like without being cloyingly sweet. It still tastes like beer. As with the aroma, the pumpkin, nutmeg and all the rest shine through. The mouthfeel is light and clean as is the finish, but it stays with you after each taste.

0 - Within it's category, this beer is unrivaled. I'd go on to say that this beer dominates in it's category unlike any other beer. They're may be room for improvement, but I hope Southern Tier doesn't break what isn't broken.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

Every year I sample dozens of Octoberfest and pumpkin beers, but this one always delivers the best Fall spice/pumpkin flavor, with just the right amount of sweetness (cinammon/brown sugar) and cardamon, and a ton of upfront pumpkin with a crisp, not syrupy mouth. A gem that comes and goes too fast each year, in my book. So I typically stash 3-4 bottles and drink them into Spring/Summer. Delicious brew!

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

A-Chill hazed orange...minimal head...

S-Awesome graham cracker aroma...I'm not sure how they achieved this but it is stellar...also pumpkin pie notes minus the heavy spicing so often found in pumpkin beers...extremely inviting aroma..

T-Graham crackers and pumpkin pie..a liquid desert....this is beer? incredible what they achieved with this...I love the fact the spicing is low key...graham cracker pie crust resonates throughout this experience.

M-I'd call it medium bodied...certainly not a big ass sipper...but not light and watery either.

D-Town Hall makes a hell of a pumpkin and this is right there with that that. The graham cracker is truly unique and the pumpkin is pumpkin, not some all-spice mix...great beer...one of a kind....one everyone should try..splendid...

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

A - Very nice orange/brown color. Great solid finger width head.

S- Could be the best aroma I have every experienced with a beer. I spent a solid 5 minutes just enjoying the wonderful pumpkin aroma, mixed with the brown sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and faint whipped cream. Simply wonderful.

T- Somehow more subtle than the smell, but still very flavorful. It is pumpkin pie in liquid form. The creaminess is very pleasant, mixed with the sweetness of the pumpkin, and the complexity of the spices.

M- This beer has substance, but is not too thick. Surprisingly not filling.

D - For a 9% beer, it is very drinkable. There is some warmth from the alcohol, but no more than there would be if you were eating a piece of pumpkin pie. Simply a great beer.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

ah yes, the fall classic of pumking. Just fits the season so well.

Apperamce:a dark rich red color to it, darker than an amber though, but in that vasinity.
smell: the smell is amazing, like a big old pumkin pie mom just pulled out of the oven on thanksgiving day, yet loaded with a little more nutmeg than usual.
taste: the taste is just as good as the smell leads you to believe. Upfront its a quick punch of nutmeg follewed quickly by sweet notes of breadyness with pumikin and pumkin spicy, just so unique, like no other beer u'll ever taste.
drinkability: oh how deceptive this one is, as all southenr tier beers are,this one clocks in at 9 persent, but very easy drinking.

This is my 3rd year of having this beer and ive always wanted to review it, but always been to busy, so i cracked one tonight and remembered why its one of my favorites from the first sip. if you like pumkin pie this is a must try, if you dont i wouldnt advice it.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

I cant recommend this beer enough, and its one of the best brews I had at Brewfest Tallahassee.

It smells like pumpkins, tastes like pumpkin beer should taste

the mouth feel is excellent, and for the alchol it has, you can't feel ANY of it.
A excellent beer, I cant reccomend it any more than I already have
Try it when you get the chance

4.9/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pumpkin Rating: Pie!
Drink Again: I want another one right now
The person that sold me this beer said it wasn't just a pumpkin taste: it was the whole pie. This is 100% true. It's hard not to sip this beer slowly because it's so good: there's a kind of elegant fragrance all the way through and a kind of thick creamy scent at the end. I need more.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company