Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,687 |  Reviews: 1,999

I had previously replied to a forum stating that Red Dog was the worst beer I had ever had. I stand corrected. This is awful. The vanilla was overpowering. Words cannot explain how bad this is. It is an embarrassment. I poured most of this beer down the drain and I have never, ever done that.

1.03/5  rDev -74.6%

I wanted to give this one another try. After unintentionally skipping over this one during the '09 season, I bought into the hype in '10 and mistakenly purchased 8 of these bombers without having tasted it before. 9 times out of 10 it always seems to be the first name out of a beer lovers mouth when discussing pumpkin beers, so it's got to be good....right?

2010 vintage.

A - Pours a clear, bright orange. Only a tiny film of white bubbles. Little to no lacing - spotty at best.

S - Smells like a sweet pumpkin candy. Some cinnamon and vanilla come through, but there's an overwhelming butterscotch scent. Just like I remember from my first experience with this one. Not inviting at all.

T - Revolting artificial and candy-like pumpkin and butterscotch. Seriously unpleasant. If I closed my eyes, I'd imagine that I'm drinking a glass of artificial pumpkin flavoring liquid.

M - Very watery. Lacks any "oomph" or body to it. Moderate carbonation.

D - Completely abhorrent.

This one's going down the drain, again. I'm glad other people like this stuff so that I can easily send out the couple remaining bottles as extras.

1.03/5  rDev -74.6%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Shared by dabecassis. I'm beginning to fear whatever Dabe shares at this point.

A: The clear, brilliant orange of butterscotch and candy corn.

S: Butterscotch and candy corn.

T: Butterscotch, and candy corn.

M: The vapid sweetness of butterscotch and candy corn.

D: No. We had this side by side with an actual GOOD pumpkin ale (from Kern River). The difference was like night and day. This tastes like some cheap, awful, alcoholic candy. Drinking beer from Southern Tier's Diabeetus imprint feels like a battle. And this is another victory for them.

1.04/5  rDev -74.3%

1.06/5  rDev -73.8%

Poured as an orange colored liquid with a thin white filmy head - didn't impress me very much, if at all.

Smell was cloyingly sweet - lots of pumpkin spices and some sort of "candy" aroma. Didn't have a good feeling about this one.

Taste was extremely cloyingly sweet - no pumpkin taste, more like a huge ball of sugar with a tiny drop of pumpkin spice on the top was served in liquid form. So many clashing flavors - at one point, it tasted like cotton candy. Began gagging at the taste.

Mouthfeel was awful for this sort of beer. Felt cottony somehow. Just too light and ephemeral - had no body to it. Just a lot of sweetness and nothing else.

Drinkability is obviously low. Five other guys passed on having any more of this beer - and so we had to pour the rest of the bomber down the drain. The bomber was still more than 75% full. That isn't a good sign.

1.09/5  rDev -73.1%

For the record: I AM a Pumpkin Ale fan...

A - Very nice off-white foam head. Brew is delicious clean, crisp golden orange color. Medium viscosity.

S - WHOA! Smells like a cookie.... Lots of sugary cloves. Some overwhelming spice too. The worst smelling Pumpkin Ale I've ever had... Smells like pumpkin puke.

T - Horrible!!! Very rough and not too rounded... Lots of heat hidden by over-powering spice...

M - Slightly too much carbonation. Very bitter too. Lingers in a bad way; it doesn't finish clean.

O - VERY DISAPPOINTING! Up until this brew, I really enjoyed ST... Not too sure I'll be hunting their others, after this one... Drain pour.

1.24/5  rDev -69.4%

Alright, so I've given this beer a go multiple times over the last 3 years, and I still just don't understand. I can tolerate pumpkin beers, but this one just isn't for me.

22oz bomber poured to a tulip.

A: Flat, dull orangey color. Light, frothy, but thin, almost non-existent head. Colors are promising and reminiscent of autumn leaves.

A: Pie crust with some corn and deep vanilla scents hit my nose. Very off-putting smell. Artificial sugars, cereal, & marshmallow. Butterscotch notes. Popcorn jellybeans? Vanilla frosting? Yuck.

T: Alcohol and popcorn meld with a creamy, and overly rich vanilla. Way too sweet. Condensed milk and sugary overwhelm my tongue like Cap'n Crunch milk and vanilla frosting. Candy corn, buttery thickness dominates the finish. Hard to choke down, strong vanilla, more butter, corn syrup…. Each bottle has always been this same mess, lacking drinkability and spice.

MF: Feels like I'm drinking coconut milk or something. Hard to swallow, buttery and a cloying sweetness.

O: I don't understand how this is considered one of the best pumpkin beers out there. Pretty disgusting, and a drain pour 3 years running. I'm done trying to give this one a chance.

Skip it.