Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

4.05/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 7,541 |  Reviews: 1,965
1.24/5  rDev -69.4%

Alright, so I've given this beer a go multiple times over the last 3 years, and I still just don't understand. I can tolerate pumpkin beers, but this one just isn't for me.

22oz bomber poured to a tulip.

A: Flat, dull orangey color. Light, frothy, but thin, almost non-existent head. Colors are promising and reminiscent of autumn leaves.

A: Pie crust with some corn and deep vanilla scents hit my nose. Very off-putting smell. Artificial sugars, cereal, & marshmallow. Butterscotch notes. Popcorn jellybeans? Vanilla frosting? Yuck.

T: Alcohol and popcorn meld with a creamy, and overly rich vanilla. Way too sweet. Condensed milk and sugary overwhelm my tongue like Cap'n Crunch milk and vanilla frosting. Candy corn, buttery thickness dominates the finish. Hard to choke down, strong vanilla, more butter, corn syrup…. Each bottle has always been this same mess, lacking drinkability and spice.

MF: Feels like I'm drinking coconut milk or something. Hard to swallow, buttery and a cloying sweetness.

O: I don't understand how this is considered one of the best pumpkin beers out there. Pretty disgusting, and a drain pour 3 years running. I'm done trying to give this one a chance.

Skip it.

1.26/5  rDev -68.9%

Nice pumpkin color but weak head. Nose has some more pumpkin with spice. Taste is terrible. Reminds me of fake over extracted pumpkin juice. Mouth feel is way too heavy. Lacks carbonation. Too boozy.

1.28/5  rDev -68.4%

1.28/5  rDev -68.4%

I feel obliged to review this beer because it was such a disappointment. I really can't believe all the good reviews this beer is receiving.
Not much pumpkin to it and a jumbled mess of other flavors. It left an astringency on the back of my throat that I couldn't shake. This has to be one of the most overrated beers ever.

1.32/5  rDev -67.4%

I'm a fan of Southern Tier, and kept hearing great things about Pumking, really wanted to like this one...

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-Low carbonation, modest head, quite a nice shade of orange

S-Pumpkin pie, store bought vanilla frosting, sweet corn, marshmallow. Not a good start.

T-Yikes, way too sweet. Lots of vanilla, more corn, no spice to be found. Reminds me of cake vodka (also a regrettable experience)

M-Not horrible, but hard to appreciate due to the taste. Rather thick

O-Gross. Not sure how I see this come up so often in discussion of "best pumpkin ale". Rarely will I pour a beer down the sink, but I couldn't finish a third of the bomber. Would expect better from Southern Tier.

1.32/5  rDev -67.4%

I'm assuming this rating will come out to be one of the lowest of the group, so let me start with a disclaimer: I have loved all other Southern Tier beers, and bought this both b/c it was rated so high and I'm trying to work through all the ST brews. This is the first one that hasn't been excellent.

With that said, this is the worst beer I've had in a while. The only redeeming quality is the appearance. If you've ever eaten a buttered popcorn flavored Jelly Belly, then you now know what to expect in both the nose and the tastejk. And it's not like it's in the background or anything. I can't find any pumpkin in the nose- only butter. There's a slight hint of spice and pumpkin on the back of the palate, but it's crushed by the rancid popcorn taste. I almost gagged. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but I don't think I'm the only one who wonders where ST went wrong here.

1.38/5  rDev -65.9%

I missed my chance to try this last year. After all the hoopla and with much anticipation I scored 2 bottles this week. What a disappointment! Thank goodness I didn't buy an overpriced case of this goo. As pumpkin ales go, this is the worst by far of the dozen or so that I've tried. Looks great, smells sweet, tastes like liquefied caramel corn and not at all like pumpkin. No way this deserves an Excellent rating, in my opinion. If Grandma's pumpkin pie tasted like this, I'd lose my Thanksgiving dinner.

I've had several other Southern Tier brews - all very good. Just adds to the surprising let down.

1.38/5  rDev -65.9%

Unfortunately, this beer was everything I don't want in a pumpkin beer.

It was sickeningly sweet, overly thick, and tasted like a pumpkin pie instead of a beer brewed with pumpkin. I was worried when I took a sniff and it smelled like dessert time on Thanksgiving... I was not pleased when it tasted like pie and had such a heavy thickness to it either. Give the Dogfish punkin a shot for a great example of the style.

1.38/5  rDev -65.9%

650ml bottle poured into a pint glass. ABV 8.6%.

A - Poured a clear golden orange with a thin vanishing head. No lacing.

S - Sweet pumpkin. There's something slightly unpleasant in the background that I can't quite pin point.

T - Oh this tastes god awful. Very light sweetness upfront followed by a vile sourness with an even worst medicinal boozy finish.

M - Average carbonation, astringent, dry, slight alcohol burn, the awful aftertaste lingers too long.

O - Drainpour. Just couldn't drink this one.

1.39/5  rDev -65.7%

Entirely too sweet and chemically - tastes like they mixed in a pound of Sweet n Low + dry cleaning fluid. Avoid this like a rancid, post-Halloween pumpkin.

1.39/5  rDev -65.7%

My wife and I tried this beer on tap along side another pumpkin ale (we are both big pumpkin beer fans). Unfortunately this beer tasted nothing like a pumpkin beer. Infact it was pretty horrible.
I even questioned if the bartender poured us the right beer until I read some other reviews on here.
It poured a yellow-ish orange color and had basically no head on it. Smelling it side by side with another pumpkin beer gave us the hint before we tried it that there wasn't going to be much "pumpkin" flavor in this. As for the taste, well its hard to describe. It was sugary had a bad bitter after taste and over powering spice that I just cant place. Nutmeg maybe?
Maybe it was a bad batch or something because we could barely finish the beer it was so bad. I will defiantly be avoiding this beer in the future.

1.42/5  rDev -64.9%

Holy beer death: WTF happened to this beer? For years pumpking has been our favorte, hands down, in pumpkin beer taste tests for being malty, not too rich, and not overly spiced. We're curious if somehow the our 2015 22 oz bottle / batch somehow got botched because all 5 of us who blind tested it immediately poured out the bottle - it was disgusting. It tasted essentially like burned, carbonated toffee with wet newspaper. It seemed like someone took a budweise, added pumpkin spice syurp and caremels, and then burned it. Considering we may have gotten a ridiculously wrecked batch, this review is biased - but we're reluctant to ever buy it again now.

The look was good, standard. Smelled heavily of toffee, and mouthfeel was thick & syrupy despite the relatively good look. Head standard, though thinner than expected. I will call this the single worst beer I've ever had in my life - even worse than Shipyard pumpkin (which tastes like a soft-drink but which now seems palatable vs. this bottle of pumpking).

1.44/5  rDev -64.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

1.48/5  rDev -63.5%

Every year the ABV drops, they brew more and more and of course the price goes up... Boooo Southern Tier, once great beer is lost in the shuffle with the hundreds of other pumpkin beers

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company