Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Reviews: 1,942 | Ratings: 7,435
4.04/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

L (4.25) - Nice dark orange color. Fairly clear with a fair amount of head.
S (4.5) - Smells good. Like pumpkin, not pumpkin spice. Plenty of malt and low hop aromas.
T (3.75) - Tastes like it smells at first. Nice malty ale taste, but with a little pumpkin at the end. Not the sweet spice you expect in a pie. But at it goes on, you get more of that. Maybe a little heavy on that end.
F (4) - Easy to drink, smooth, all that jazz.
O (4) - I'm not a huge pumpkin beer guy and this is one of the better ones I've had. I honestly would have been fine with a 6 oz pour. I am glad I tried it, but I'm good for the season (or longer)

2.36/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Look: looks like a cider in the glass. Light cloudy amber. No head.

Smell: Smells amazing. Pumpkin pie, pie crust, freshly baked blueberry muffins.

Taste: Unfortunately, the taste does not follow the nose. Slight pumpkin on the front, bitter in the middle, and followed by melted candle taste on the end. Straight up tastes like they took a pumpkin candle and melted it down and chilled it.

Feel: Candle-like.

Overall: Hype isn't real on this. Sad to say I've never had a tasty pumpkin beer. Hopefully someday. Will not buy again. 3/10.

3.81/5  rDev -5%

Pours a clear pale copper in color with a half finger of short lived white head, then the beer looks flat. Pleasant aroma and flavor, some pumpkin but lots of spices: cloves, cinnamon, allspice, some nutmeg. The beer is definitely sweet but the spices keep it from being cloying. Medium bodied and a bit syrupy in feel with a hint of slickness, carbonation is less than low and the beer is nearly flat. Aside from the carbonation issue this is a solid beer. I usually don't like pumpkin ales but this one strikes a good balance on the pumkin and spice notes that keeps it pretty drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours an amber orange color; very autumnal in appearance. The head quickly recedes and leaves no cap, collar or lacing.
Nice pumpkin pie, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg aroma.
There is pumpkin in the taste, however, the spices also play a big role. There is also a significant hops profile that adds bittering. There is an alcohol warming in the finish. Medium bodied to full and chewy.
A nice pumpkin ale that is complex. I will have it again.

I find the score for this beer and indeed many of Southern Tier's well-known offerings (i.e., Choklat, Creme Brulee, Mokah, etc) to be totally bewildering quite frankly. Yes, taste is subjective and all, but I kind of assumed beer nerds would reject the kind of artificially flavored malt-based beverage that this is as, well, a goddamn artificially flavored malt-based beverage. AKA: not really beer. AKA: "I can mix (and ruin) my own drinks, thanks."

Pumking is just dreadful, vile stuff. Not just one of the worst beers I've ever tasted, but one of the worst things, period. It tastes like candy corn in beer form, but with all the good attributes of candy corn extracted, leaving only pure evil. This is the Guy Fieri of pumpkin beers. I'd rather drink a Bud Lime-A-Rita to be honest. Incidentally, Lime-A-Rita has a score of 59. Perhaps if it was released by a craft brewery and sold as a sour fruit beer it'd get a 90, whaddyathink? I mean, who gives a shit if it's packed with artificial flavors and sweeteners and is more mixed-drink than beer? Not Beer Advocaters, evidently.

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Starts off with a 2 finger head that fizzles out to nothing in the chalice, with a festive burnt orange color with light amber shades dancing and out along the sides. 30% opaque.

Smells like a fall candle or a wax warmer. Vanilla cookie, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, nilla wafer, and a touch of citronella.

Quite a bit of spice, some of it burnt, in the form of nutmeg, cinnamon, and a bit of bitter herbal notes; a touch of vanilla, citronella, and yogurt. As it settles on the back of the palate, it rests on lactose, lavender, and flower stem. As it warms the finish tastes like dirt and the alcohol really makes an ugly appearance.

Feel is medium bodied, relatively dry, yet keeps the carbonation firm and interesting.

Overall, Pumking is a pretty hyped beer and the only real hype I see justified is the nose. Incredible nose. The rest of it just falls flat for me. It's not a total failure, it's just an above average pumpkin ale. I ended up not finishing the bottom 1/5 of my glass. I got this bomber on sale for $5.49 so I'm not terribly upset, but unless it's on a mega sale I don't think I'd ever purchase it again.

1.71/5  rDev -57.4%

I'll admit that I just don't get pumpkin beer, nothing seems more gimmicky to me. A friend told me this was the best so I decided to try a bomber. Even more amazing to me, 4 packs of this crap were $15.79, thank god I only tried a bomber. Acrid, with a strange bitterness and noticeable alcohol heat - the smell reminds me of a pumpkin scented candle. What's next, turkey and gravy flavored beer, maybe mincemeat beer? I have to do myself a big favor and accept the fact that pumpkin really doesn't belong in a beer. If you want pumpkin, do yourself a favor and have a slice of pie and have a good beer to compliment it.

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle. 2016 vintage. Appearance: Semi clear light golden with some haze, and minimal white head that disappears immediately. Almost still. Aroma: Like pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Toasted bread malt is prominent to go with the spicing. Really nice. Taste: Bready maltiness with great pumpkin spicing of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg, turning to a light toast and some alcohol heat that accentuates the spice. Mouthfeel: Light bodied for the strength, almost thin, with low carbonation and noticeable alcohol warmth. Finish: Spicy alcoholic breadiness lingers, with a touch of nutmeg and toast. Overall: Probably the best aroma on a pumpkin beer I’ve had, it smells like the pie and whipped cream are right in front of you. I also like the bready, toasted maltiness that shows in the aroma and flavor. This beer does have room for improvement though. It has very little carbonation, and almost appears still. The high alcohol against the low body doesn’t balance well, leaving a thin body that accentuates the alcohol heat. With a bit more carbonation and body I’d rank this at the top of the pumpkin ale pile.

I love this time of year...the taste of pumking what i expect a pumpkin beer to taste like. And unkike some pumpkin beers its not too sweet, smells like pumpkin and tastes like pumpkin...with a great after taste of cinnamon and spices. Definitely at the top of my list!

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Are you kidding me? This beer is so good. Love the gingerbread/graham cracker notes that come through. My favorite pumpkin to date. Dangerously drinkable at 8.6%.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This year I am actually trying to go through all the different pumpkin beer offerings across the landscape, at least as much as I humanly can. I can say, this offering from Southern Tier is pretty damn good.

The beer is not so impressive out of the bottle - an orange colored ale with no head or lacing, though it's got pretty good highlights. The smell was very impressive - a strong scent of pumpkin, sweet, mixed with just enough of the ale to make a good odor in the nose. The mouthfeel was considerably carbonated, but not overpowering, some astringent feel, but easily overlooked. Now, when it came to the taste, it was everything I smelled, the pumpkin, the ale, the 8.5% ABV (a very nice touch). Overall, though I haven't had many pumpkin beers, so far this one is the best and I wonder if I will actually come across something better.

4.17/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pumking's reputation is well known and deserved; it's nice to look at and is very smooth and isn't in your face with a pumpkin flavor. It's got more of a spice taste than a pie taste, and it packs a very pleasant punch. Excellent.

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer. It's the shiznit. Lacing, head..whatever. Who gives a crap. This is October all bottled up. Great beer anytime, but works its charm as a post-dinner dessert beer. Grab it.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle - vintage 2016

Pours a slightly hazy highly carbonated golden amber orange with a frothy white foam head. Smells like real pumpkin pie with big graham crackery pie crust, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, spice, bready caramel malt, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like bitter floral earthy grassy pine, pumpkin pie spices, booze, vanilla, graham cracker crust, pumpkin, bready caramel malt, with some dried fruit medley. Feels medium bodied, creamy and smooth with moderate low carbonation. Overall a nice imperial pumpkin ale.

4.34/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Yellowish-orange when held up to light; moderate head that dissipates quickly. A surprisingly thin-looking beer.
S: Where this beer excels most! HUGE nose of vanilla, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon.
T: A wallop of spice on the front, with a massive vanilla backbone. Vanilla quickly becomes the dominant flavor, with the spices adding a tingling warmth. The initial kick of spice was (at first) a bit much, but my palette quickly adjusted.
F: The more I drink this beer, the more I like it.
O: Truly pumpkin pie in a glass; its plaudits are well deserved.

3.99/5  rDev -0.5%

Different from your normal pumpkin ale. Strong nutmeg smell that continues into the taste, with vanilla and orange --like a Creamsickle -- and chocolate as well. Barrel-aged in a whiskey barrel? It tastes so to me. Very good.

3.87/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a clear orange-amber, with a finger of off white head that dissipates quickly down to a ring. Good carbonation when rocking the glass. First pumpkin beer where I'm actually getting some pumpkin in the aroma. Nice vanilla and some holiday spices and nuts, as well. In the flavor, I mostly get an odd caramel sweetness up front and then a good bit of bitterness that takes that sweetness over. A little vanilla, pumpkin, and the usual nutmeg/ holiday spices. The carbonation is nice and full. The body is medium and the beer has a slight stickiness to it but overall, quite dry. It's just that up front 'odd' sweetness that is kind of turning me off to this one. Edit: Put a name on the weird sweetness i'm getting: butter. Diacetyl?

Let me say upfront it is September 2016 and I'm drinking a 2014 Pumking.
A - Pours a soft, murky orange with a small white head that lingers as a ring forever.
S - Aroma is a very nice, mellow pumpkin beer with just a touch of spice.
T - Flavor is pumpkin and spices, very balanced. A slight bitterness on finish. Spices have mellowed nicely.
M - Carbonation is lower than average, mouth feel is soft.
O - I've been drinking Pumking for several years and I really feel it is best after a year or two of resting. I find fresh Pumking too harsh, so I like to let the spices calm down. You know its Fall when you are drinking Pumking.

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The smell and taste of Fall..
Clear.and smooth (considering the ABV) maple overtone is very appealing giving it a grahm cracker tast with a light coriander after taste with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg..I did not notice any clove ( thank God )..

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite pumpkin beers. You can taste notes of vanilla, nutmeg, and what seems to me is graham cracker. It's like pumpkin pie in a bottle. Such a great fall beer.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding imperial pumpkin ale. Southern Tier puts out some great beers. Awesome desert beer as I always horde these pumpkin ales for anytime of the year especially Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Big flavor profile here as I get a lot of graham cracker pie crust on the front, followed by pumpkin pie, vanilla, cinnamon, malt, almond and even whip cream. This is a very well balanced pumpkin ale that hides the 8.6%. Honestly, for me it comes down to this, Schlafly and Elysian's Great Pumpkin as the top imperial pumpkin ales.

3.39/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The amber ale both smelled and tasted like fresh gingerbread coming from the oven. The alcohol was well-hidden, and the nose kept the senses alive. Southern Tier has remained consistent in quality and fulfilling expectations.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is one of the best pumpkin beers I've ever had. From the tap the color, smell and taste was what I would expect from real pumpkin if pumpkin was served as a liquid. You do not taste the alcohol but you do taste a well balanced flavor of spices without being too powerful. Normally I do not like flavored beers. This is one where I would buy a six pack and drink 3 a day.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

An amped up pumpkin ale (surprise!), with all of the pumpkin pie spices, well hidden alcohol, but the sweet pumpkin takes a back seat. Still, a great imperial pumpkin ale.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tastes just like pumpkin pie. The autumn flavored spices: nutmeg, molasses, cinnamon, etc. are very strong. Recommend if you like pumpkin beers, do not recommend if you don't.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company