Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Reviews: 1,916 | Ratings: 7,354
1.26/5  rDev -68.6%

Nice pumpkin color but weak head. Nose has some more pumpkin with spice. Taste is terrible. Reminds me of fake over extracted pumpkin juice. Mouth feel is way too heavy. Lacks carbonation. Too boozy.

3.69/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass: color is copper, head is 1/2 inch thick, then dissipates to nothing, no lacing, no ring, no froth.

Smell is all graham cracker, biscuit, extremely feint pumpkin spice like aromas. That said, it still smells delicious and enticing, a unique pumpkin ale aroma.

Taste is similar to the aroma, heavy graham cracker like presence, but not the fullness in flavor that you might expect from wheat/biscuit; more pumpkin spice like flavors, mainly ginger and a touch of allspice.

Mouthfeel is bitter, a bit sharp and dry - tongue is overpowered by the stronger bittering hops & compounds.

Overall, this is a beer of great stature amongst my beer colleagues, but I have trouble with this one - is this years batch tilted toward more graham cracker like flavorings? I like it as an alternative to the overspiced or neutral pumpkin ales but find it needing balance in the spice/graham cracker flavoring.

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a light copper color with a 1F head in a snifter.

Aroma: excellent. I haven't tried this beer for a few years. I like the Aroma much more than previous years:liquid pumpkin pie.

The MF enhances the beer. Tangy, Dry, carbonated, bitter.

The bitterness dwarfs the taste, which is lighter pumpkin, less than the aroma which remains strong during the tasting. The finish is bitter and dry, which adds character to the beer.

Overall, one of the better pumpkin beers. I wanted more in the taste.However, the aroma, MF, and finish add greatly to the tasting. Now to compare again with a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin.

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Heard a lot of good and bad things about this beer. Found it at my local craft beer shop in a 22 oz bottle. It's unlike anything I've ever had. Pours a honey orange color with minimal head. Smells like pumpkin pie. I also smell some coffee liqueur. Sort of a tiramisu-esque alcoholic vanilla coffee note. The same thing comes through in the flavor. Some moderate pumpkin flavor with the usual baking spices, and a BIG hit of that tiramisu coffee-alcohol bitterness and sweetness. It's not misplaced, though. It tastes really good. I got a nice tinge of warmth and that comforting feeling in my spine after the first sip. I agree with others that the mouthfeel doesn't suit the taste. It's a big, heavy, deep beer, but it has a very thin mouthfeel.

2.69/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Awful. Smells and tastes like the worst part of cheap candy corn. And I really hate candy corn. I bought a 4 pack, and am going to have to give away the other three.

4.01/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle to tulip, clear and light orange. Frothy head rises up, and is gone, gone with nothing to show. No lacing. Aroma is fresh pumpkin, sweet caramel malts, and spices. Freshest tasting pumpkin flavor I've had in an ale. A bit sour on the finish. While enjoyable, probably don't need to have this one again, one and done..

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a golden honey color. Has deep aroma of cinnamon and sweet malts. Flavor is sweet, lots of spice- Cinamon, Clove, maybe cardamom. You get pumpkin and touch of vanilla. Has a balanced finish. Pretty smooth but flavor tails off quit. Overall good but a touch too sweet

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

from 12 ounce bottle into pint glass. aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, flavor of the same, with a little fresh pumpkin. one of the more spice forward ones I've tried. really well built though

4.31/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

i am not generally a big flavored or fruity beer drinker but i will occasionally drink a seasonal like aprihop or punkin ale from dogfish head as the seasons change
as such i picked up a bomber of the southern tier pumking recently at my local bottle shop and WOW!
this is the strongest flavored beer i have had in some time
right off the bat the smell is cinnamon nutmeg ginger and pumpkin and the taste is literally like a big slice of pumpkin pie.....it pours orange with a creamy head and the flavor profile doesnt fade at all
every sip was like a bite of pumpkin pie
way too sweet and strong flavored for more than 1 bomber, in fact i would prefer it in a 12 oz as it is just too much but for a flavored seasonal, one of the more interesting beers i have ever had!

3.87/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bursting with flavor. Pumpkin, pie crust, tons of spice (almost too much), clove, nutmeg, caramel sweetness. Nice bitterness pop at the back end. A good pumpkin beer but a tad over the top. Wish the mouthfeel was creamier as well.

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Clear golden with a orangish tinge. Small white head with no lacing.

Smell: All Pumpkin pie spices. Nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon.

Taste: Pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon. There are lot of spices in this beer and they make it a little too sweet.

Feel: Medium carbonation, medium body. Pretty easy drinking. Leaves a somewhat strange breadi ess/ spiciness in the finish.

Overall: The Pumpkin pie spices are a little overpowering in this beer.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark muddy orange with an off white/orange head.

Smells of roasted malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg.

Taste is big roasted malt backed by large pumpkin flavors saturated in pumpkin pie spice. This is a big beer with big flavor, but too much pumpkin pie sweetness for me. A little cloying.

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

This one is kind of strange to me. The pumpkin on the nose and taste is pretty good. The spices are nice, but I don't think the mouthfeel fits what I expected from these flavors. I think these flavored are bettered suited for a thicker, darker style like a porter or stout. Overall, this was interesting, but not my favorite.

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: pale orange color with a thin head

Smell: heavily spiced sweet pumpkin aromas with a grainy malt backbone

Taste: The spice is just overpowering with little pumpkin taste. Also a grainy undertone in the taste

Mouthfeel: light medium bodied; comes off as thin, watery and a little boozy

Overall: I never really loved pumking, but i dont remember it being this bad. The best way i can describe it is like drinking perfumy pumpkin spice with grains. $17 a four pack is a joke. Never again. Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale blows this away at half the price.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

You know, I must have gotten really lucky with pumpkin ales over the years. I've actually never had one that I disliked. Consequently, I'm usually flabbergasted when I hear people say that they hate pumpkin ales. Now that I've had this one, however, I can see why many don't like pumpkin ales. While I don't think this one is bad, it's very mediocre (and artificial). Here goes:

A: Partly hazy yellow. Good effervescence but the head is very small. No lacing.

S: Very...artificial. Smells like it's all added spice. Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and pumpkin seeds.

T: Like the smell. Almost like they took a regular pale ale and added spices.

F: Meh.

O: Just an OK beer. Very artificial, and this bogs down the flavor.

1.5/5  rDev -62.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Definitely wasn't feeling it at all. I haven't liked the Pumking for years, but for whatever reason it was actually decent for me last year. I dont know if that means the recipe was different or the bottle conditioning on this one was too young or what. It had a nice caramel malty taste but oh man, the plethora of cinnamon reminded me of that God awful Shipyard brew. I never drain pour, but this almost made me do it. No thanks

2.46/5  rDev -38.7%

IMO this beer has declined tremendously in the past 4 years since the first time I drank it. No head (and I've tried different glassware), overly sweet taste and underwhelming. I tried it once more this year. Not again.

3.74/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a nice amber color with minimal head.

the smell is straight pumpkin pie! one of my 3 favorite pies so no complaints here.

tastes like pumpkin pie with some vanilla mixed in. too sweet for me, especially at 8.6%.

a thin beer, very little body to it. goes down smooth enough but it still very thin.

overall for the style it's a good beer but it's simply a style i don't enjoy very much. this beer has a more straight forward taste of pumpkin pie instead of heavy spices with the pumpkin; the heavy spices are a complete no-no for me. not a beer i want right now, i could see drinking this on a cold october night but due to it's thin body i'm not sure i'd use this as a "warmer" if that makes sense to anyone else.

3.01/5  rDev -24.9%

Glad I only got one bottle. This is way over the top with spice. Pumpkin spice, especially nutmeg, in the nose and in the taste, plus boozy alcohol. This veers into medicinal flavors at times. Only recommended if you want to get drunk or if your palate is shot and you really need something in your face in order to taste it. No idea how it got a 90 score, I'm more in line with the Bros on this one.

3.81/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pour is light-orange with little head (poured from a bottle)

S: Smell of pumpkin spice, pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla.

T: Overpowering taste of nutmeg. Slight taste of pumpkin and fall spices.

F: Medium body with low levels of carbonation..

O: Probably a good beer wiht a caramel rim and sugar on a cold October, but other than that, I'll pass.

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

L: beautiful light orange
S: spices, graham cracker, pumpkin
T: not boozy, pumpkin and graham cracker
F: light to medium body, light mouthfeel
O: my favorite pumpkin beer, this one is a year old, I like fresh ones better

4.87/5  rDev +21.4%

I love pumpkin beers, and this is, BY FAR, the best one I've ever had. Yankee Candle needs to make the scent into a candle. Unfortunately there was a limit of 1 when buying Pumking at my store, which I understand why, but still disappointing. I am by no means a beer connoisseur, but I know what I like, and this is the best I've had so far.

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have had the 2013 and 2014 versions. Overall one of my favorite beers and the best pumpkin beer I've had.

Smell: Pumpkin and hint of vanilla
Taste: has a vanilla nutmeg and cinnamon taste that works well with the bitterness.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is by far my favorite pumpkin beer. The pumpkin flavor is outstanding! The beer is goes down very smoothly and is very drinkable. I highly recommend it!

4.71/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 5

A - Pours a hazy "apple-cider" color with 2 finger head. Decent head retention with little lacing present.

S - As amazing as it may sound, the overwhelming aroma of the beer was --- pumpkin. The aromas are fairly on par with that of pumpkin pie. Fairly sweet, malt dominated beer.

T - If you're a fan of pumpkin ales you will love this one. The flavor overall is not too complex and very straightforward. Too me, it perfectly resembles that of a pumpkin pie; in liquid form of course. The hint of vanilla in it resembles the whipped cream on top of the pie oddly enough. Leaves a pleasantly sweet aftertaste. An incredibly well done pumpkin ale.

M - A fairly full bodied beer with a perfect amount of carbonation - not too overwhelming. A very sharp, crisp feeling beer.

O - As a big fan of pumpkin ales and the festive feel they bring, Southern Tier did not let me down. Everything was spot on to what I expected if not better. If you like pumpkin any/everything, you'll love this one. An awesome fall beer that I'll be running back to the store to stock up on -- I feel like will be even better aged.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company