Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,509 |  Reviews: 1,952
4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

3.97/5  rDev -1%

Pours a hazy pumpkin color with a thick white head. Aroma is just like a pumpkin pie. Vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, brown sugar, caramel.

Taste is more pumpkin pie. Just like the smell. Pumpkin of course, with loads malt that tastes like a graham cracker. Lots of spicy nutmeg, cinnamon, and all spice. A little more spice than I prefer. Nice vanilla flavor in there also. Mouthfeel could be a little more full for my liking but not bad. Not something you would want to drink all of the time but a damn fine dessert beer. Give me one of these instead of pie after dinner at Thanksgiving and I would be fine.

Poured from A 1PT. 6OZ bomber into a goblet.

A - Poured a crystal clear orange/amber color. The pour produced a thick head of slightly off-white foam that quickly dispersed into a thin bubbly film.

S - Pumpkin pie. Slightly malty with big aromas of pumpkin, vanilla and spices.

T - More of the same. Finishes slightly soapy.

MF&D - I'm not a big fan of fruit/vegetable infused beer, but this one is about as good as they get. You don't even come close to noticing the 9%ABV, it goes down really nice. My only complaint is it is a tad bit on the sweet side. I'm not sure I could drink these all night, but it's definitely a nice fall treat.

4.24/5  rDev +5.7%

I had this on tap at the Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ. It was served in a Southern Tier tulip.

Look: very orange! It had a very thin head that was a little orange as well.

Smell: this is probably the strong point of the beer. It reeks of pumpkin pie without being too aggressive with it.

Taste: this is usually where pumpkin beers fall flat with me but where Pumking lives up to its name. The pumpkin pie aroma doesn't dominate the taste and it actually tastes like a beer instead of some kind of pumpkin pie flavored wine cooler.

Feel: light bodied, nicely carbonated. Very smooth and refreshing.

Drink: very good for this. I was surprised to see it was a 9% ABV beer.

Overall, this is what pumpkin beers should really aspire to taste like. I saw this on tap and though I have generally despised pumpkin beers so far, I figured I'd give it a go since I've never seen it on tap near my hometown. I'm happy with my choice. I think if I were to go for another pumpkin beer in the future, I'd go for this one.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

2nd of 2 Southern Tier offerings I picked up in Rochester, NY. This one was more for the wife and I to enjoy together, so it's a joint review.

A: Pours an almost clear honey color with a modest, but frothy head that leaves a reasonable splashing of lace

S: Pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and sweetened cornbread

T: Opens with a rich pumpkin and spice flavor, which becomes increasingly spicey by mid-palate; after the swallow, the cornbread flavor builds, sweet and buttery; the finish has some alcohol on it.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation; some warmth on the swallow.

D: This was an extremely unique brew. I'll admit that I bowed out earlier than the wife (just a bit too much pumpkin for me), but I still enjoyed this brew. Southern Tier is clearly about pushing the limits and I can totally respect and acknowledge that even if it's not my cup of tea (the wife LOVED IT though). I need to find me some more Southern Tier now!

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Very strong pumpkin flavor. A little too malty for my liking.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.97/5  rDev -1%

Poured from Bomber into Pint Goblet - 2011 release.

A: Poures a carmael color with little head that quickly desinigrates , no lacing left , no webbing at all, decent carbonation.

S: Pumpkin spice ,nutmeg, cinnamon, corriander, corn syrup, bread.

T: Pretty much follows the nose , sweet and sticky with plenty of mild spice to give this a decent pumpkin taste.

O: Overall not a bad pumpkin beer at all, although it's not my favorite style, I would drink this again and again.

4.73/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: pours with little head and a light amber color that you would expect for a pumpkin ale.
S: the smell is that of a warm baked pumpkin pie and is completely intoxicating. Hands down best bold spice and pumpkin smell available in beers today in my opinion.
T: equally amazing flavor as smell. Light mix of bitterness from hops to compliment the puréed pumpkin flavor this beer highlights.
M: Surprisingly light mouth with a high drink ability compared against other autumn/winter beers available. Medium carbonation.
O: I was skeptical buying this beer for $8 living up to the hype...this blew my understanding of what you could do with pumpkin in beers and is the # 1 must buy for the season so far. If you can find it, buy it in bulk to share with those friends that appreciate a good beer.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

22oz bottle into a snifter

Latest 2011 Release Bottled 09/09/11

A- Pours a golden honey orange with 1 finger worth of bright white head. Leaves decent retention and alcohol feet.

S- Wow smells like fresh pumpkin pie. Tons of pumpkin and breadiness like a graham cracker pie crust. The spices are dead on and loaded up. Also has that artificial buttered popcorn aroma.

T- Just like the aroma but better. Tons of fresh pumpkin and pie crust with hints of spice and buttered popcorn. The definition of a pumpkin beer.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice wet finish.

SkÅL!

3.25/5  rDev -19%

4.24/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours nice copper with minimal head. this is aged one year so tons of floaties in the brew. smells of vanilla and pumpkin with some hop prescense noted. taste follows with vanilla pumpkin and some end palate hops. nice mouthfeel. this is the best pumpkin beer ive had but have not had some of the ones rated higher. my go to for this style. very good. like drinking a pumpkin pie w vanilla frosting.

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%

Pour is clear golden orange with almost no head to speak of. A little dust on the top of the glass but that's it. Spiced nose, big time. Pumpkin notes, all spice, cinnamon, caramel, toasted grain, great nose.

Flavour is clean and toasty, the pumpkin is clearly there at all times, and is accompanied by light cinnamon and all spice, big on the bread, huge in fact. A very effective pumpkin brew.

The mouthfeel is a shade above average. It's a big beer, so it's naturally a bit thicker than normal, but I think it could have been improved with more carbonation (god forbid thinking how snazzy this would be on a nitro tap...). The drinkability is also a skosh above average, one of the better pumpkin beers I've had, and probably my favourite one with these spices since the long-dead Harry Magill's Spiced Stout from Bell's. That said, I can't see buying more than one or two of these a year and largely for the novelty. The flavour is also intense enough to be a bit much for one person. This is a good bomber to split with a friend come September and October though.

The bottom line: If you want pumpkin pie beer, then Southern Tier has got your brew. Very evocative of Fall, and a very effective pairing of the spices, pumpkin, and bread. If you like this type of beer, Pumking is a must try.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber into imperial pint.

A- Pours a transparent pumpkin orange with a half finger's worth of khaki head. The head recedes slowly and leaves some decent lacing on the way down.

S- Smells like fresh pumpkin pie. A little bit of spice and a good amount of malt. Just a slight hint of graham cracker on the tail end.

T- Like the nose, big, fresh pumpkin with a good amount of spice to it. Maybe some nutmeg and a little cinnamon. The malt isn't as apparent as it was with the nose but is still present and adds a nice backbone.

M- Medium bodied but feels a touch thin. Decent carbonation but overall a pretty smooth feeling beer.

D- I would never be able to tell you that this is 9%. Great flavors and a nice balance make this a pretty good beer. I can't wait for Thanksgiving to break one of these out.

4.69/5  rDev +17%

A- Copper with a very small white head

S- Wow malty pumpkin sweet

T- Just like nose, malty and warming, great nutty taste too, very interesting combination

M- Medium, the nuttiness is in the mouthfeel

D- Very interesting take, I really enjoy it and it's probably one of my favorite pumpkin ales this season!

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company