Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

4.05/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 7,541 |  Reviews: 1,965

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer is one of my favorite all time beers. Not only just the best pumpkin beer. Love the aroma line the sweetness. Carbonation perfect and Carmel Color This is far under valued for the product. I loved it on draft if you are lucky but the bomber is no compromise. Keep brewing this masterpiece

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

4.7/5  rDev +16%

1.25/5  rDev -69.1%

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

Loved this beer last year but the 2 that I got this year just weren't as good. I'm not sure if they modified the recipe or if my tastes have changed so much. It is worth mentioning that they did change the label so that might mean they changed the formula.

A - Rich orange color with some protein haze (like they added pumpkin!) Bountiful white head with moderate lacing.

S - Sweet pumpkin pie spices come to the top of the heap: i.e. cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, and maybe some slight clove. Second to the spices comes the malt, caramel, and a slight vegetable character that I know from a dozen pumpkin beers as pumpkin (gourd) aromatics.

T - For last year's (2013) batch it tasted just like pumpkin pie in a glass sweet, spiced, and delicious. This year (2014) it seems the pumpkin taste is front and center with the spices quickly coming with the cinnamon and allspice. The malty/caramel tones after that and then a vanilla flavor that lingers. I enjoy the vanilla flavor but the "pumpkin" flavor seems to detract my taste buds from the spice regime this year as much as last. It isn't un-enjoyable but I can't help but feel like there is an off flavor in the two bottles that I got this year.

M - Medium to high mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation but it doesn't seem to effect the body one way or another.

Overall, this is a pretty solid pumpkin beer that is trying to give it's all in the pumpkin category but this year just let me down. I am definitely going to get another two next year and see if the flavor/recipe changes again (along with it's label). Last year I would have said it was my top 5 beers but this year I wouldn't buy it again. Even with the slight off flavor there beer still could be one of the best pumpkin beers out there.

Glass- Stein