Pumking

Aroma Hops: Sterling
firstprev| 1951-1975 | 1976-2000 | 2001-2025  | next → last
Reviews: 2,006 | Ratings: 7,732
4.42/5  rDev +7%

I split a bomber of this with some good friends. I poured my portion in my Mikasa ale glass. Pours a definite pumpkiny copper color with a thin white head. The foam dissipates fairly quickly. Very clear and bubbly look to the beer. The minute I stick my nose in it, I'm hit with a sweet vanilla fragrance. It's almost overwhelming, but then the pureed pumpkin and the pie spices come through. Not a very balanced beer, but there's a lot to play with - and that's to be expected from a Pumpkin Ale. As we kept smelling the beer, one of the guys finally pointed out that the sweet smell is like the dollop of whipped cream on the pie. He couldn't be more right! The tastes really line up with the aromas. You could seriously pour this beer into a pie tin and call it pumpkin pie. Strong flavors of the pumpkin and the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove), plus the creamy sweetness of the whipped cream. A bit bready (the crust, perhaps?), plus a slightly burnt flavor at the end, like burnt sugar. Medium creaminess to the beer - not as thick as a stout, but very creamy for an ale. It complements the sweet vanilla-y flavors perfectly. Overall, an awesome beer. I loved drinking it. It's perhaps a little too sweet, but a must for any fan of pumpkin ales.

4.84/5  rDev +17.2%

Served in a Belgian Tulip glass at Quotations Bar in Media, PA...

Being that it was Southern Tier night at said location, I was all set to start out with a painful IPA. The bar owner knowing my tastes recommended the Southern Tier Pumking and referred to it as ginger snaps in a glass. I call his description very accurate.

A - Nice amber color with an orangy pumpkinish hue, a nice two finger head which leaves quickly leaving a nice lace.

S: This is where the owners description starts as being accurate. Ginger, allspice, cinnamon and cloves are present. Hops and malt can be detected, but are in the back seat to the pumpkin aroma.

T: This is where the owners description is dead on accurate. This should NOT be served in a bar *kidding*. This should be served in a diner with whipped cream and a fork. Holy F, this stuff is good - think Pumpkin Pie - no lie, not just a hint of pumpkin, a full blast of pumpkin pie. The grain bill/hops definitely complement the flavor, but the spices dominate it - and in a good (great) way. WOW!!

M: Perfect carb for this beer to comp the taste. Hold this one in boys and enjoy the ride!

D: It wasn't until after my second pouring that I felt the bank coming from the ABV. Would never know this beer is 9%. Even after I knew, I couldn't stop - I didn't get 'Pumkined Out' like I do with every other pumpkin beer.

BY FAR - the best pumpkin ale I have had to date - I am not sure if it can get any better. Get your hands on this one if possible...

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%

What else but pumpkiny orange in color. Millions of minute bubbles are racing each other toward the thick bubbled white head that rests atop and fades quickly.

I've sampled this pumpkin ale a couple of times in the last few days and have tried many many pumpkin ales over the last two years (last year I traded for as many O-fest and pumpkins I could get for a O-fest party I had) and I must say this is by far the best pumpkin ale made and that I've tried too date and it will be difficult for a better one too ever appear, but I sure hope one does as I'd love to try it.

You smell this beer and realize I don't want to drink this I want to eat it. Or at least not quit smelling it. The closest thing in liquid form I've witnessed to an actual pumpkin pie or a gingerbread house. Full of graham cracker and gingerbread aromas with a smidgeon of toffee, that fades into all spice nutmeg and bits of pumpkin.

The mouth on this is second to none. Thick full and creamy with an everlasting finish. The flavors are basically identical to the nose. Graham cracker, gingerbread, nutmeg, allspice, toffee, and hidden pumpkin. For 9% it shows like 5%. Very easy going and so delicious. Truly the "pumking" of pumpkin ales. Too bad we didn't get more to sell. Not as ageworthy I'd guess as the Weyerbacher Imperial pumpkin but just waiting for Thanksgiving to have with dessert, as dessert or during a Thanksgiving day game. Go buy a few of these while it's around for that day or you may be sorry.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

edit: crazybrody06 gave Pumking a 3.3. He also rated a 12oz bottle of Newcastle a 4.2, and Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy a 4. I think that should be taken into consideration before taking his review seriously.

This was the best pumpkin ale I've had yet. I really enjoy Post Road and Smuttynose pumpkin, Dogfish Punkin and even Cottonwood Pumpkin was great on tap. But this blows them away. It has a flavor that the others cannot come close to. You can even taste the pie crust in it, it is really like pumpkin pie. The smell is just like a pumpkin pie candle, and I had to stop a few times just to enjoy the smell. The taste is outstanding. The alcohol is extremely well masked and the smell and taste really fool you. The spices really play a large part in the flavor, and I'm amazed at how well they went with this beer. Thanks to DrinkinBuddy and slagle9480 for this awesome pumpkin ale, and hats off to Southern Tier for really impressing me with this one. Highly recommended for any fan of pumpkin ales, this is my new favorite among the rest.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

This is the best pumpkin ale I've had to date. This outdoes any of the macrobrew versions and definitely competes with some of the badass micros.

It's like eating pumpkin pie.

There's a cinnamon/nutmeg-type taste at the end. I frickin love it.

Do yourself a favor. Get some Pumking.

Good job to Southern Tier.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a nice orange/pumpkin color with little white head. Lacing doesn't last too long throughout the session. Smell is phenomenal, if you're a pumpkin fan, this is your brew.(fall has come early) Smell is definately reminiscent of pumpkin pie. Allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger are all present in this brew, followed by a nice slight hoppy piney finish.(cascade) Mouthfeel is smooth with suttle carbination, but not much, not malty, little thin. Not bad though! Drinkability is definately good, but since this is a very sweet style, one is probably enough in itself. This is a 9.0 abv (imperial pumpkin ale) but the 9 is definately lost in the spices of the delicious pumpkin pie. Great brew!!!

firstprev| 1951-1975 | 1976-2000 | 2001-2025  | next → last