Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,593 |  Reviews: 1,980

4.54/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

have had this one a couple times, great notes of pumpkin and a yammy finish. it's a deserty beer, one that you'd drink just 1 or 2 of I feel but REALLY enjoy them. after having it on draft, and in a bottle, it's good either way. 1 of my favorite beers.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

1.75/5  rDev -56.8%

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber about 5 months old. Born on date is a little hard to find, bear the bottom under the etched label. Got it on sale for $5.

Rough pour gives you a clear orange beer with few chunks and a small silky head. Smell is powerful concentrated pumpkin, sickly sweet and vegetal, and some spice. Taste is thick malty yams, with the sweetness and spice of a pumpkin pie. Finishes with some english tasting hops. Feel is a slick medium, with a cloying bitter finish. High abv is imperceptible.

The hype is deserved as this is the most "pumpkinny" of the fall beers I've tried. It's not the best, tho. I'll take Indeed's yamma jamma over this any day.

4.31/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm a sucker for "pumpkin" flavored anything in the Fall, including beer. Every Fall, I go to TotalWine and make my own 6-pack of various pumpkin beers. Out of all of the pumpkin beers I have tried, Pumking is definitely the king of pumpkin beers in my opinion.

Unlike some pumpkin beers, Pumking isn't just in your face candy-like pumpkin spice flavors, nor is it too malty. You get nice notes of the pumpkin spices but you do taste something slightly vegetabley and earthy as well - almost a true pumpkin / squash flavor. It's one of the few pumpkin beers I drink on multiple occasions over the Fall.

4.56/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Over all in my opinion a fantastic beer. I am a very big fan of pumpkin beers and in my opinion this one beats all others. It was a nice amber color with a white head. I have never tried this beer on tap only in the bottle but I would recommend it to any pumpkin beer lover.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company