Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.29/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought a bottle at Table and Vine in West Springfield, MA. Attractive gold-amber appearance with lots of carbonation and a thin, creamy head. Aromas are incredibly strong to the point of a bit overwhelming. A definitive sweet smell of pumpkin, strong cinnamon, maybe a little vanilla. If the aromas were just taken down a notch a bit, it may have been less overwhelming. Otherwise, these are mouth-watering aromas. The taste was dessert level sweetness. I liked it, though I can see how some might be taken very aback by how sweet this is. Definitely could taste a strong, baked pumpkin pastry flavor to the beer, as well as that vanilla I sensed a bit from the smell. The mouthfeel is what perfectly supplements this beer as a very sweet, dessert-like beer to have after supper. This was a very creamy drink with a medium carbonation. That adds to that flavor quite well, so if you want a dessert-like, seasonal beer, I would highly recommend this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

2.65/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

I was looking forward to this beer after reading some positive reviews. Upon opening it was promising. The beer appeared rather nice. A nice orange color with a small head that disappeared rather quickly. The smell was pure pumpkin pie. It really did have that smell. Perhaps too much, but it was pleasant. Taste was where this beer let me down. To my palate it was a bit of a mess. While there was a pumpkin taste, it seemed to be overpowered by a soapy taste and feel. I am not sure whether I was unfortunate enough to have a bad bottle or not, but I was quite let down by this.

Usually I find Southern Tier beers quite good, and I hope that this was a bottle issue rather than this beer. I may give it another shot and re-review.

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear orange with a bit of a white head that doesn't stay around long, leaving a bit of lacing.

The smell reminds me of pumpkin pie cooking. There is malt and pumpkin, ads well as some spice. There is a hint of cinnamon as well.

Starts out a bit on the sweet side, mainly from the malt. There is pumpkin there, as well as some spice. It finishes with a bit of a hop bite, keeping things from getting too sweet.

I found this a little on the thin side, but the carbonation leaves a tingling not only on the tongue, but in the back of the mouth as well. Haven't had many beers that left such a lingering feel.

I am not too familiar with this style, but I did enjoy this one. Has a nice mix of flavors that work well together, and the alcohol is very well hidden, making this one drinkable and dangerous. This is my first beer from this brewer, and I am anxious to try more from them.

3.99/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance:
Beer pours a very light head that disappears immediately. The beer itself is a deep, clear copper color.

Smell:
A strong pumpkin smell that seems to be matched by the sweet caramel pale malts. The malts give off a buttery cookie smell that makes the beer smell so indulgent. There also appears to be a hint of syrup.

Taste:
The pumpkin dominates the taste with a little bit of hop peeking though but not by much. The malts seem to strongly rule over the beer and give a buttery and sweet taste. The spices do not appear to be very prominent and play second fiddle to the malts.

Mouthfeel:
Biting carbonation. Silky feel with a fairly refreshing finish.

Overall:
I have to admit that this is a pretty good beer and much better than the first time that I had it.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%