Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,518 |  Reviews: 1,954

2.79/5  rDev -30.4%

I can see why a lot of people enjoy this beer: it smells like pumpkin pie! I rarely like pumpkin beers for this exact reason. I want them to taste like pumpkin, the vegetable, not pumpkin pie, the dessert.

The taste is better than the overpowering scent. This beer smells like margarine, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The flavor is more neutral, but I can't say that it tastes like beer. The mouthfeel and appearance are both nice.

I won't be asking for this again. I prefer Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale because it's more vegetal and less dessert-scented. This beer would be great for someone who doesn't mind a sweeter beer with some artificial notes.

4.24/5  rDev +5.7%

3.25/5  rDev -19%

2.16/5  rDev -46.1%

Sadly I was not impressed, despite all of the good recommendations. Strong caramel maltiness on the nose, a bit of pumpkin, and the usual accouterments of spices: nutmeg, ginger cinnamon, etc; overly sweet. I got more spices on my tongue when I took some sips, the caramel malt and the pumpkin don't go well together, and I think the hops add a strange off note. The pumpkin finishes quickly, leaving the spices and that sickly sweet taste I got so strongly on the nose, and the odd hop off taste.

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Ok, I love Pumpkin Beers! Every since my first one about 4 years ago, I have a strong attraction to them. Each fall season , I look forward to the new ones coming in. Each year, we find new ones to bring in and we also find some of them that we do not order.

I find myself looking for the 'desert' rich types. Almost to the point, where its not a beer/beverage that I want, but its about drinking desert.

I remember from my early days reading MAD magazine. There was a section about Pizza and which was the best. I don't want to identify brand names here, so, I may just put in a phrase or so. If this is a violation of forum rules, I will understand if this is edited by the moderators.

Here it goes, think of all of the Pumpkin beers selling on one city block:

Punkin Fish is the best tasting in the City
Puggy is the best Pumpkin Beer in the Country
BPR is the best Pumpkin Beer in the Continent
Southern Tier Pumpking on the BLOCK!

Get my point here!

I was a bit surprised that the pour and color was somewhat light. Most of the other pumpkin beers I've had were much darker. The aroma was what I expected from any
of these types. Closing my eyes , I could smell and feel all the various spices that should go into a pumpkin pie. The aroma even gave me a warming feeling.

My first sip and I was totally taken back. I tasted the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg , sugar and all, nothing artificial, everything so real I was drinking desert!

The mouthful was warm , big and round. The finish was just like having a warm pumpkin pie with whipped cream on it!

The second, third and all sips were better and better. This was a beer that when it was all gone, I felt sad and was just looking for more.

09/19/2013
This recent tasting. I did enjoy some of the nose, but from that point on, I was not much of a fan. For me, there was way too many spices, none which blended together while the pumpkin flavor was basically absent. It was also to carbonated for me.
So to net it out....
Too many uncontrolled spices
Too much carbonation
Not enough Pumpkin

An outstanding job

4.66/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this at Mellow Mushroom on tap after we spent a warm day at the Cincinnati Zoo with our granddaughter. This was my first Pumpkin beer and I was overwhelmed! A second glass was even better.

Served in a tulip glass chilled, appearance was mildly cloudy, bright orange, amber color with a wonderful pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon aroma. Smooth, clean, refreshing. I had the White Gourmet pizza and the combination worked well. The taste was true pumpkin with a nice nutmeg and cinnamon undertone. Perhaps the day in the sun visiting every animal display (yes, every one) set me up to enjoy any cold beverage, but I do not think so. This was a delightful beer that I would recommend. (A subsequent purchase of the same in a bottle produced a less enthusiastic but still positive experience.)

1.75/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1

Had this beer on tap at sweet cheeks, outside Fenway park last night. It was the first beer I ever sent back. To me, it tasted just like I would imagine a Fenway park urinal would taste. Try it for yourself - I handed the beer around the table and 3 of my friends agreed with me. It has an articial sweet mintiness that overwhelmed any subtle pumpkin notes. though one of my friends actually thought it was decent, tasting pie - which I see some other reviewers also noted.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company