Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,517 |  Reviews: 1,954

2.25/5  rDev -43.9%

1.95/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

OK, I now know I probably just don't like this style. I love Southern Tier so I figured this was a good bet for my first pumpkin beer. But I thought it was just awful and poured it out after 1/4 glass. I like spiced beers but the spices here not only overwhelm the standard beer ingredients; they are just distasteful. Other types of beers are an acquired taste, but I think you have to be born with a taste for something like this.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

3.33/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Golden yellow, with a touch of head and lace.

S - Vanilla, pumpkin, spices

T - Spices, cotton candy, vanilla. A little disappointing..

M - Light bodied, not much aftertaste

O - I tried this 2 years ago, but thought I got a skunked bottle. Turns out I did, however, it still tastes like candy corn, but much better with carbonation.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer so many times and so many different ways. The most unique being drinking it from draft, while sipping on a shot glass of vanilla vodka. It's quite interesting if anyone ever wants to try it.

A: Dark blonde with a red hue. When poured a beautiful white head forms.

S: Hands down the best part about this beer. You stick your face in it and just get amazing flavors. Nutmeg, Vanilla, Graham Cracker Crust, just what you imagine of fall.

T: The best way I describe it is liquified pumpkin pie. Up front you get the delicious malt, middle is more of the spice of the beer, and back is just a tiny bitterness from the hops.

M: Extremely light for the higher alcohol content. Goes down like a session beer when it shouldn't.

O: I've drank a lot of pumpkin beers, dog fish punkin being the last one, but nothing tops the king. It is hands down, the best pumpkin beer out there.

LONG LIVE THE KING!

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

aged 1 year.

A: Dark copper, orange. slight off white head. very light.

S: pumpkin pie. nutmeg. dark roasted pumpkin. cinnamon and a slight roast malt. a little squash. MMM

T: More pumpkin pie! a whipped cream essence lol . decadent pumpkin and deep spice. cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. the sweetness is there but quite mild. not too complex but balanced nicely.

M: Creamy. medium bodied with a quick squash finish.

O i love this beer. put a year on it and its even better. the syrup sweetness goes and it balances nicely. pumpkin pie in a glass / 92

2.02/5  rDev -49.6%

Had this on tap, after hearing all sorts of hype from friends and beer-enthusiasts.

This might actually be one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. I can honestly say that I enjoyed Yuengling Light more than I enjoyed this. Had I bought a bottle of it, it might have actually qualified for my first drain-pour-beer of all time.

Appearance: couldn't take too good of a look due to the dimly lit bar, but it seemed to be a fairly nice copper color. Couldn't tell if I just had a shitty bartender or if it was inherent to the beer, but I had no head whatsoever.

Smell: I get a HUGE whiff of cinnamon and graham cracker, maybe a bit of bread and nutmeg. Quite honestly, nothing that pleasant. None of these aromas really come together in a coherent or enticing manner. Not impressed.

Taste: a little bit of bitterness mixed with a HORRID creamed-corn flavor. I get the cinnamon and nutmeg, and maybe a little bit of graham cracker, but to be quite honest, the creamed-corn flavor is undeniable. If somebody had blindfolded me and not told me that I were supposed to be drinking a pumpkin beer, I would NEVER even consider it for a second.

Mouthfeel: a little bit watery, but disgustingly sweet at the same time - less in the flavor, but more in the sense that this beer felt grainy and almost disgustingly sweet. Each sip was, quote honestly, painful.

Overall: save yourself the money. This beer honestly gets by on its reputation alone. I cannot fathom why anybody would be impressed by this brew, but alas, to each their own.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company