Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,506 |  Reviews: 1,952

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22 oz bomber.

A: Crystal clear golden yellow with some slight red tones. A very small head even with an aggressive pour. No lacing what so ever.

S: Smells like fresh baked spiced bread. Cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, clove. I think the smell is the best part of this one.

T: Malts combined with spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. I'm not sure that I get pumpkin specifically, but flavors remind me some of pumpkin pie. Some sweetness but nicely controlled.

M: Lots of tiny bubbles even after sitting for a few minutes. Overall, a very thin brew. I might have preferred something with a bit more head and more body.

O: I have been looking for a good pumpkin flavored beer since I typically enjoy these flavors. This one was indeed better than some of the others that I have tried, but I'm not sure I want more than one...

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

Second only to the much acclaimed Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, Southern Tier's flagship Pumpkin Ale has awarded me with what I may only honestly describe as an awkward organoleptic experience; Confusing from the get-go with protuberantly salty, cookie and peanut butter aromatics that fascinate as aggressively cloy up the ol' sniffer, this monster evokes - with it's very unique character - visits to the local pastry shop or bakery.

No; You won't clearly discern the pumpkin. It might seem obvious enough if you're furnished by the indispensable facts beforehand, but it's a very unique aroma that doesn't fall neatly into one descriptor and is even more abstruse if you're having the beer in a more leasurely, less analytical eye.

In any case, the taste follows up on the nose and is not less of a mind blowing affair. Exceedingly saccharine and full but also very 'hot' it definitely qualifies as a sipper as it gets cloying very fast.

Just like the aforementioned odd case, this beer proves itself to be a incredibly hard to rate and examine. It strays so far from what ( even ) craft beer drinkers might think is the norm (or the norm 'spectrum' ) regarding balance and complexity that you really have no choice but to give in completely to the sensatory impulses and forget about checking criteria boxes.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Crystal clear pale yellow with thin head that took some coaxing. Really no lacing to be seen.

S - Just like Fall. Huge cinnamon and nutmeg.

T - Again the cinnamon and nutmeg are strong with an deep earthy malt. For such strong flavors, the taste washes away quickly. Alcohol is present but well masked.

M - Southern Tier has always struck me as a bit thin with most of their beers. I think in this case it really helps. Despite the big flavor the body is somewhat watery.

O - I must say I'm not a big fan of these overly flavored beers, but I think Pumking does it really well. Until now Brooklyn Brewers Post Road Pumpkin Ale was the only pumpkin beer I've really liked since the flavoring is more subtle than most. Pumking takes the opposite route yet I still really enjoyed it. Many pumpkin beers can have a cloying sweetness but this beer does really well avoiding that. It delivers on the Fall time flavors yet because of it's thin body is still very drinkable. I'll definitely be picking this up again as we creep into Fall.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%