Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Aroma Hops: Sterling

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,506 |  Reviews: 1,952
1.83/5  rDev -54.4%

Yes, the emperor has beautiful clothes. Wow, I expected Pumpkin Pie in a bottle, and I really like pumpkin pie. This was not at all close to anything pumpkin. I got the the very tangy graham cracker taste up front and thought what followed would be pure enjoyment. It was pure bitterness. There was nothing discernible, but bitterness. When it warmed up, it was a tad more drinkable, but never was enjoyable. I've had many pumpkin brews, but this was the worst. Too disappointed to even go through the ASTMO analysis.

4.74/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 2013 Bomber, DOB 7/08/2013

A: Pours a nice light golden orange color into an Old Forge chalice. Produces a clean inch of white head that dissipates slowly and lingers to a couple of centimeters. This beer certainly appears to be well carbonated.

S: Right away I get graham cracker crust in the nose. Yum! For a pumpkin beer, I would expect a little more pumpkin in the aroma, but alas.

T: Spices and graham cracker crust come up front and spices linger to the back with the pumpkin flavor. Pumpkin pie in a glass, my friends!

M: Mouthfeel is decent with this guy. This beer hits your mouth very crisply and smoothly and ends dry.

O: Overall, I am very impressed with this beer and I understand why it seems to be a crowd favorite. I LOVE the fact that it has all of the components of a pumpkin pie in the taste and aroma. I'm so glad I have 3 more bottles hanging out :)

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.01/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

1.75/5  rDev -56.4%

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Allow me to preface this review by divulging that I am a pumpkin freak. Might explain my love of this pumpkin ale... which I chose to pour into a snifter at cellar temperature.

An extremely small head dissipates almost instantly, leaving nothing but a golden-orange luminescence of remarkable clarity. It just sits menacingly in my snifter with absolutely no head or bubbles, looking like an actual pumpkin... a pumpkin with an attitude that says, "What? You got a problem? I'm a pumpkin ale. Deal with it."

It smells like no other ale I've raised to my nose. I get UNMISTAKABLE, pungent pumpkin, along with an ensemble of spices. Cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, I think. It smells fantastic, and EXACTLY like I would ever want a pumpkin ale to smell like.

Impressions from the first sip... I just took a swig of pumpkin pie. No joke. The spices are also once again incorporated splendidly, but the most awe-inspiring aspect is the pumpkin taste. It's through-and-through, thorough pumpkin, from beginning to end. It emulates pure, pureed pumpkin, before it's mixed with any of the complementary things used to bake with pumpkin. And YET, those things (the spices) are also part of the flavor blend. It's marvelously balanced, totally unobtrusive and well-rounded, and yet brimming with unique flavor. Also, there's something magically clean, refreshing, and almost minty about the finish. Again, this is UNIQUE. And delightfully delicious.

The feel is dead on. It's full-bodied and inexorable as a big ripe pumpkin in autumn.

This is just unbelievable. Two of my greatest loves, pumpkin and craft beer, enmeshed together into a phenominal pumkin ale... Pumking reigns supreme.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but I am going to review it for what it is. Poured into a tulip glass, bottled 7/22/13. Pours a light orange, with a one inch head that leaves some spotty lace. Smell is like a well made pumpkin pie. Cinnamon and nutmeg to go along with the aggressive pumpkin smell. Taste matches the smell, with a hint of orange and a little caramel. Body is medium thin for its heft, would prefer a little more life, not dry, and goes down easy enough. I can see why this is a pumpkin legend, pumpkin pie in a bottle.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%