Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

1.83/5  rDev -54.8%

Yes, the emperor has beautiful clothes. Wow, I expected Pumpkin Pie in a bottle, and I really like pumpkin pie. This was not at all close to anything pumpkin. I got the the very tangy graham cracker taste up front and thought what followed would be pure enjoyment. It was pure bitterness. There was nothing discernible, but bitterness. When it warmed up, it was a tad more drinkable, but never was enjoyable. I've had many pumpkin brews, but this was the worst. Too disappointed to even go through the ASTMO analysis.

4.74/5  rDev +17%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 2013 Bomber, DOB 7/08/2013

A: Pours a nice light golden orange color into an Old Forge chalice. Produces a clean inch of white head that dissipates slowly and lingers to a couple of centimeters. This beer certainly appears to be well carbonated.

S: Right away I get graham cracker crust in the nose. Yum! For a pumpkin beer, I would expect a little more pumpkin in the aroma, but alas.

T: Spices and graham cracker crust come up front and spices linger to the back with the pumpkin flavor. Pumpkin pie in a glass, my friends!

M: Mouthfeel is decent with this guy. This beer hits your mouth very crisply and smoothly and ends dry.

O: Overall, I am very impressed with this beer and I understand why it seems to be a crowd favorite. I LOVE the fact that it has all of the components of a pumpkin pie in the taste and aroma. I'm so glad I have 3 more bottles hanging out :)

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.01/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company