Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,502 |  Reviews: 1,951
4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Served in a pint glass from a 22oz bomber.

A: Crystal clear burnt orange color. Very small head that quickly dissipates.

S: Pie crust and spiced cookies. Almost reminds me of a snickerdoodle. Graham cracker, allspice and definitely nutmeg coming through the nose. No detectable hop presence.

T: Sweet nutmeg and pumpkin pie flavor. Not cloyingly sweet though. Very nicely balanced and surprisingly drinkable. Finishes with a graham cracker flavor that lingers.

M: Medium body with a coating on the tongue that carries the flavor through in the finish.

O: I have never been a big fan of this type of spiced ale. Although, I must say, this is an excellent example of this style. Pumpkin ales I have had in the past did not deliver the pumpkin flavor that this truly does. Well done. Surprisingly drinkable, this would make a great holiday beer to share with friends and family.

3.22/5  rDev -19.7%

A: orange clear, with little head that dissipates quickly and next to no lacing
S: graham cracker, allspice, pumpkin, ginger. Smells like a great dessert.
T: initial taste is exactly like smell, sweet, almost the taste of pumpkin bread. Grassiness comes in shortly, and a bitterness that doesn't quite mix with the initial flavors.
M: sweet mealtimes that coats tongue throughout. Little bite of spice up front, and the bitterness grabs the tongue a second, but that combined with the alcohol content leads to a slightly metallic taste that doesn't linger.
O: thought this could be really good from the smell, but the middle-to-end flavors are just a little too much of a contrast from the start (which, granted, is a little sweet).

Edit: as the beer warmed slightly, the contrast lessened slightly.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

3.25/5  rDev -19%

4.23/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I'd heard quite a bit about this from my fellow sots but hadn't pulled the trigger until now. Part of it was that I thought it was a bit pricey for a pumpkin ale; which it would be except this is different from all the rest which are kind of boring tbh. I know it sounds trite to repeat what everybody else says about tasting like pumpkin pie, so I won't. What I will say is that it has an incredibly creamy taste to it which, either by itself or in conjunction with something(s) else, serves to mask the alc which at the end of 22 oz is definitely felt. It doesn't feel right to give something this sweet a higher grade for a beer although maybe I'm a prisoner of my history.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I tried this out of a 22 oz bomber

first time I seen this was on Greg's beer reviews

all I heard about was buttered popcorn

and I have to agree that's what it tastes like to me

the smell is like nothing I've had in a pumpkin beer nice bread like weirdness to it

the color almost looks like the perfectly baked pretzel

overall I liked the aftertaste more than the initial flavors

A nice bread like wheat flavor

I would have it again but would want to share it next time

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.87/5  rDev +21.4%

I look forward to this each year , it is worth 9$ a bottle.
Pours a dark golden color about a half inch head.
Smell mole-asses and pumkin spice very pleasent
Taste, dude if you like pumpkin pie this is it! I never thought pie and beer was a good idea but dang..
Mouthfeel is a wee bit light for a beer with this much abv. But the lingering dry and pumpkin spice rounds off the experience.
I have been trying Pumpkin ales for a few years now and by a hugh margin this is the best of the bunch!

4.25/5  rDev +6%