Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Added by BeerBeing on 08-26-2007

Ratings: 7,506 |  Reviews: 1,952

4.09/5  rDev +2%

Bottled 8/12/12, drank 8/4/13

A: A gorgeous honey golden amber hue, one of the most beautiful beer colors I've seen; minimal head; filtered but not clear

S: A very warm and inviting smell of honey and spice

T: This beer is very sweet and has a strong syrupy flavor; slight alcohol taste amongst the strong spice.

M: Creamy, smooth, slight carbonation, after taste sticks around for awhile

O: When I first had this beer a year ago, I completely fell in the love with it. It has been my favorite beer since then. However, this time around I'm not as impressed. Either because the beer doesn't handle one year of aging very well, or because I've had a lot of amazing beer in the past year and my buds have gotten more refined. So, I plan to get another which has been bottled this year and see how it stacks up. Despite this beer going down in rating, it is still a delicious beer that I will enjoy this fall and winter by the fire roasting marshmallows.

UPDATE:
Tonight I bought a bottle born on 07/25/13...what a difference! The color is much paler and the taste is very crisp, cleaner, lighter and more focused on pumpkin flavoring than the thicker, syrupy of last years bottle. It also makes a difference when this beer is served at the recommended 40°. My initial taste was at 40° but then I let it warm slightly to the same 55° of the older bottle. My rating of this is definitely higher as far as taste, but slightly lower in appearance because I like the darker amber color of the older bottle.

Lessons: this beer does not age well; serve at 40°

4.73/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Despite what I thought (with little experience) of what this beer would look like being an "Imperial Ale" it poured pretty clean and crisp. Over a 1" head (aggressive pour) and a rich sweet caramel smell. Hints of spice and pumpkin there, but very heavy on the caramel. Mouth feel was refreshing and sweet. For those drinkers out there who do not like caramel this beer would not be for you. It was also one that I wasn't sure I could do multiple 22s in with the amount of sweetness.

Overall I thought this was an excellent beer and I would definitely recommend it again.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle into tulip

Appearance- Golden orange, 1 finger white head ok retention, some chill haze

Aroma- A buttery pumpkin, nutmeg cinamon, butternut squash, a slight sour note with some appeaent alcohol

Flavor- Smooth butternut squash, pumpkin, floral hop notes, some alcohol apparent, finishes with a dry sweetness

Mouthfeel- full and smooth, slight warming alcohol

Overall- I am only drinking this now because I've never tried it. 2013 bottle, Its interesting, theres a lot of pumpkin flavor, and a nice mix of spices. not my favorite style but this is worthy of an other bottle at least to be enjoyed in the fall.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.25/5  rDev -19%

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Bottleworks for Halloween in May.

Very clear orange with minimal head,

Smell is graham cracker, cinnamon, nutmeg, spices, pumpkin, sweet.

Taste is like pumpkin pie, spices, a bit bittersweet, bready, fuller bodied.

It is good, but it is not as drinkable as Great Pumpkin. It is a fantastic pumpkin beer, but like a lot of Southern Tier’s stuff, it should be enjoyed in smaller quantities, or split between a few people.

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Let me preface this review by saying... kiss my ass breweries with releasing these beers WAY too early. These beers are meant to be enjoyed during colder weather, NOT 90 freaking degrees. Hell, it's not even cold up north yet lol. That being said

A: Orangish-Amber color with a finger width head of creamy white hue.

S: Oh. dear. Jesus. Pumpkin pie meets pumpkin bread in a mating of pumpkin perfection. The spices aren't in any way overrode by the predominant pumpkin aroma. I fully expect Thanksgiving goodies to smell nearly as good as this beer

T: Pumpkin, duh lol. Some nutmeg, a touch of cinnamon, and a whole lot of bread. This reminds me a lot of pumpkin bread in the form of an alcoholic treat. This is dangerously poundable. BAs beware ;).

M: For something so full in taste, smell and look... sure forgot the whole feel part. A bit too watery. Eh, way too watery. A beer that went out of its way to present a full bodied beer should be have the feel of such a beer.

O: A great beer if you are looking for an Autumn pumpkin beer, especially due to its accessibility. If you're the type of beer drinker that doesn't want to bust your ass trying to get a limited access beer, this is a perfect substitute, as it encompasses most of what you are looking for.

P.S. It's August 2nd.... I can't complain enough as to why I'm drinking this at this very moment lol

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer is delicious. The smell is very evocative of fall and pumpkin pie. I do agree with the guy below saying this beer is harder to come by in october/ early november. I would really enjoy drinking and smelling this beverage with the taste of decay in the air. I think it would make be more scrumptified.

That said, i got a bottle on august 2nd, first day available on the Eastern Shore, Md. This beer definitely taste best right away. Unless sharing keep it chilled.

It has a great smell and is refreshing. Very easy drink. The colder you pour the more evident the pumpkin flavor. As it warms, i think the caramel and nutmeg are more apparent.

Has a little bit of a sting to it whence its the tongue, awakening the palette. Nice color, headd. Bubbles of carbonation slowly glide toward.s the head which isnt thick and streamy.

Overall, this beer is best enjoyed cold in mid to late October, earlier or later depending on which climactic zone you dwell in. It is worth trying, and will likely become a cherished seasonal

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

on tap at beer study in chapel hill. into a snifter.

pours a light orangish color with a nice head. smell is definitely big on pumpkins and nutmeg, just what I was looking for in this kind of beer. taste is up front sweet pumpkin and big on the nutmeg, but the pumpkin is actually very apparent. a rarity in pumpkin beers honestly. criminally easy to drink, lighter side of medium bodied with mild carbonation. you'd guess 5 or 6% , not 8.6.

overall the best pumpkin beer I've had. very impressive.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company