Pumking | Southern Tier Brewing Company

good
Read the review
PumkingPumking

Ratings: 7,506 |  Reviews: 1,952
3.25/5  rDev -19%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

I love this beer. In my opinion there isn't another pumpkin that even comes close. It has such a wonderful aroma that you can't help but take huge mouthfuls. In comparison, most other pumpkins smell and taste either utterly empty and without substance, or fake, as if they used nothing but artificial flavors.

A - Golden, toasty brown, yet still somewhat light. Nicely opaque with a medium-small head and light lacing.

S - The aroma immediately hits in you in the face. It's unlike any other beer in the way it allows each flavor to come through. It has all the usual suspects that you expect from both an autumn and pumpkin beer. It's an engrossing aroma that you won't forget.

T - It's just damn delicious. I don't generally lean toward sweet, but this perfectly captures what a pumpkin pie tastes like without being cloyingly sweet. It still tastes like beer. As with the aroma, the pumpkin, nutmeg and all the rest shine through. The mouthfeel is light and clean as is the finish, but it stays with you after each taste.

0 - Within it's category, this beer is unrivaled. I'd go on to say that this beer dominates in it's category unlike any other beer. They're may be room for improvement, but I hope Southern Tier doesn't break what isn't broken.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

This is my favorite pumpkin beer several years running. Several other pumpkin beers were talked up this season, but none of them truly lived up to the hype besides the Pumking!

Appearance: Pours a golden orange with a decent foamy head. It has generous lacing that lasts as you consume the beer.

Smell: Pumpkin is definitely a dominant aroma in this beer (it’s like liquid pumpkin pie), along with some spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg.

Taste: Malty, sweet and balanced, you can pick up on several flavors in this brew including pumpkin, caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

Mouthfeel: Has medium carbonation and a medium body. Very smooth and tasty.

Overall: My favorite pumpkin beer several years running. No doubt that the pureed pumpkin in the brew contributes to the awesomeness of Pumking!

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.25/5  rDev -19%

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

I ran into this delicious pumpkin beer at one of my favorite watering holes, Four Moon, which is around the corner from me. Wouldn't luck have it that after having a couple and promising to be back for more with the next moon rising, there was none to be had. After weeks of searching and kicking the cats I stumbled onto it. My favorite place to go for ribs is Twin Anchors. There may be better ribs but not better establishments. By accident last week I stumbled in and found my self looking at their beer menu. "Hey, bartender, it says here that you have Pumpking here". I'm sure that the menu isn't up to date but "Oh yes it is. We have several cases of it". What? I'll take 4 to go and I"ll be back!

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company